Review of Clairol Renewal 5X products

fancypants007

I tried the Clairol Renewal 5X products particularly the Replenishing Shampoo, Hydrate conditioner and a creamy leave-in daily nourishment this saturday. I was impressed. One of the beauty magazine experts recommended that the shampoo was good, but i tried the whole line. The reason being is that it claims to make your hair 5X stronger. Well i first detangled my hair. I got in shower and washed my hair using the shampoo. Afterwards i thoroughly put the intense hydrating conditioner all over my hair, put on a plastic cap and sit under my steamer for 30 minutes. I rinsed; followed with cold water. My hair felt so soft. I section my hair into 6 bantu knots. Because i have such a problem with tangles, i thought that i would massage each section which makes combing the new growth alot easier. I put daily nourishment leave-in on each section and finger combed. I put oil on the section and then i massaged that section for 2 minutes using my vibrating hand-held massager. I combed the section very gently and the combing was not that bad. I added my woc gel and additional oils to the end part of my hair and then braided each section. I then applied woc and vaseline on my ends. Yesterday, i bought some sta-sof-fro oil spray because i ran out of s-curl. I sprayed each section, combed and then brushed using my paddle brush and the comb just glided down my hair. During the washing process on saturday, and yesterday combing and brushing, i lost very little hair. I've used other shampoos and conditioners but my hair just did not respond like it responded to these products. I will keep you posted about the Clairol Renewal 5X products. By the way, the products were very cheap, Shampoo $2.99, conditioner $2.99 and leave-in $3.49.

I just tried the conditioner for colored/permed hair the other day, and I was very very impressed. This is a very good conditioner.

Can you please list the ingredients??
grin.gif

I too was very impressed! I always try to do some research about a particular product and either people that used the product or experts that use and then voice their opinion, and they all said great things about the Clairol Renewal 5X products. But everyone is different, so when i tried it this past weekend i didn't know what to expect. Anyhow, it turned out great and my hair was so soft. There are so many products that are inexpensive but do just as great as the ones that cost so much money. I try to look for the inexpensive ones first before i move on to those that will tug a little more at my checkbook. I'm glad it worked for you. Have you tried their daily nourishment leave-in or the intense hydrating conditioner?

Kia, ingredients are as follows:

Replenishing Shampoo for Dry/Damaged Hair

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Copolyol, Citric Acid, PEG 35 Castor Oil, Fragrance, Trideceth 12, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Phytantriol, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Hydrating Conditioner

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Citric Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, PEG-35 Castor Oil, Polysorbate 20, Phytantriol, Trideceth-12, Disodium EDTA, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Leave-in conditioner

Water, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Amodimethicone, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Dimethicone, Octamethyltrisiloxane, PEG 35 Castor Oil, Isoceteth 20, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Fragrance, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Propylene Glycol, Phytantriol, Certrimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin

Hope this helps

i was interested in this line too, but didn't really know if i should go ahead and buy it or not. so thank you very much for the review.

nay

I'm on my third bottle of Clairol Renewal 5x conditioner for dry/damaged hair and I love it!!
smile.gif
The best part is that I can get it on sale at ShopRite supermarket for $1.49!!!
shocked.gif
It leaves my hair SO soft & silky.
cool.gif

Wow, I didn't realize the shampoo was SLS-free. I will give it a try, along with the Intense Hydrating Conditioner. Thank you very much for posting the ingredients.
smile.gif

Hi, fancypants,

I'm so glad you reviewed the Renewal 5x line and let me tell ya, I'm in heaven with it! On occasions I color my hair. But when I use the shampoo and conditioner for permed/color treated hair, I love the results it made my hair feel and look. I even use the Hydration Therapy treatment as a once a month deep conditioner. I read a review of the product on the ivllage product reviews board, and I was sold after giving excellent comments from others, including myself. All I can say is this is good stuff along with the Garnier Fructis line. You can't go wrong with having stronger hair, if nature can't do it alone. Great post, girlfriend!
smile.gif

In response to:

fancypants007 said:
Have you tried their daily nourishment leave-in or the intense hydrating conditioner?

Yes I have, and I'm love with Hydration Therapy Treatment. I added some natural 7 oil in the deep conditioner and made my hair feel moisturized and silky. My hair is so strong after using it, my comb shows less hair and less damage. It really works!!
up.gif

I'm really looking forward to trying the Intense Hydrating Treatment. I bought it and the shampoo for dry hair this weekend. It sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!! I'm elated you posted here...you and fancypants.

~Jade~

Yeah I read the ingredient list and noticed that too.....does this lather well. I ask becasue I don't recognize any of the names as lathering agents....not that I'm a chemist or anything...far from it.

It's official----I will ALWAYS be a PJ. I am very happy with my shampoo (CON) and I'm not interested in buying any shampoos but this thread is killing me.

Your review sounds so great: Note to self: Do not read any more posts form fancypants007. As a matter of fact...don't read any posts from any of the 007 girls--they're PJ enablers!!!
laugh.gif
smile.gif

Edited to add: Nay007--you're somewhat off the hook since you didn't contribute anything to THIS thread...but you made me make my sister buy the Motions Silk Protein Conditioner....yup--yes you did--
smile.gif

Bad 007 girls.........
spank.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
fancypants007 said:
Kia, ingredients are as follows:

Replenishing Shampoo for Dry/Damaged Hair

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Copolyol, Citric Acid, PEG 35 Castor Oil, Fragrance, Trideceth 12, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Phytantriol, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Hydrating Conditioner

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Citric Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, PEG-35 Castor Oil, Polysorbate 20, Phytantriol, Trideceth-12, Disodium EDTA, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Leave-in conditioner

Water, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Amodimethicone, Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Acer Saccharinum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Linoleic Acid, Dimethicone, Octamethyltrisiloxane, PEG 35 Castor Oil, Isoceteth 20, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Fragrance, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Propylene Glycol, Phytantriol, Certrimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin

Hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

This stuff sounds really good, but I noticed that it has a lot of citrus (lemon)products listed in the ingredients. Doesn't lemon lighten the hair? I've always wanted to know this because I usually steer clear of products with lemon.

Nice review. These sounds like great products (especially the creamy leave-in, my favorite type of leave-in), and the price sounds great too. What type of scent do these products have?

As I am signed up to the Clairol website I received a free sample of the shampoo and conditioner just before they were released. It also came with a $1.00 off coupon. I liked them both and purchased them at my local RiteAid during a 2-for-1 special-adding in my coupon. They are in my "hair treasure chest". Hmmmmm..it could be a good switch up for spring!

Jade21 said:
I'm really looking forward to trying the Intense Hydrating Treatment. I bought it and the shampoo for dry hair this weekend. It sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!! I'm elated you posted here...you and fancypants.

~Jade~

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure do appreciate it very much, Jade. Post us when you get a chance and tell us what you think about the treatment and the shampoo after your first use.

daviine said:
Yeah I read the ingredient list and noticed that too.....does this lather well. I ask becasue I don't recognize any of the names as lathering agents....not that I'm a chemist or anything...far from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right for one thing, I found that it is less harsh on the hair and lathers real nice. The SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) dries your hair like crazy, plus it makes the comb break off more hair. This is a pleasure to make the hair stronger than ever before. Even if you use heated appliances, everyday combing and brushing, or the invironment around us, these products are a sure fire winner in my book. As for the 007 girls, they're raving this stuff. Don't blame them; we PJs need more additions to our collection so we don't be without them. What a way to go!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

hi all,

I may have posted the wrong ingredients for the Clairol Replenishing Shampoo for Dry/Damaged hair. I read one post that said it was without SLS and i looked at my bottle when i got home and it said the following:

Water , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Fragrance , Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride , Panthenol , Vaccinium Myrtillus Extract , Saccharum Officinarum Extract Sugar Cane , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Fruit Extract Orange , Citrus Medica Limonum Fruit Extract Lemon , Hydrolyzed Elastin , Retinyl Palmitate , Acer Saccharinum Extract Sugar Maple , Linoleic Acid , Cocamide Mea , Glycol Distearate , Laureth-7 , Sodium Myristoyl Sarcosinate , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Citric Acid , PEG-35 Castor Oil , Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate , Polysorbate 20 , Phytantriol , Sodium Chloride , Tetrasodium EDTA , Sodium PCA , Dmdm Hydantoin , Methylparaben

So SLS is in the product. I think most hair shampoos have SLS, some are just worse than others. To be honest, i don't really look for shampoos that don't have SLS, i notice the condition and appearance of my hair after using the product, and i am still very impressed with the shampoo and the whole line. Here are some responses from others who have used the clairol renewal products:

Consumers throughout America have written, e-mailed and phoned us to tell us what they think about Clairol's new haircare line, Renewal 5x. Here's a sample of what they told us...

" WOW!...Renewal 5x did EVERYTHING my [$23 shampoo bottle] did and better!!!! Goodbye salon products, hello Clairol Renewal 5x."
-R., USA
"I used Renewal 5x yesterday and my hair is SO shiny and SO soft today...I was just so impressed and happy with your new product."
-Cheri, Jefferson City, MO
"WOW...as I washed my hair with the shampoo, I knew immediately that this was some great [product]!!! My hair felt smooth already and I was still shampooing! Then the conditioner was awesome too! And the scent is fabulous!"
-Barbara, USA
"Renewal 5x is absolutely amazing! WOW! What a difference it made in just one application... I am not in the habit of writing about products I normally use but this one decidedly needed to be recognized as extra special. If a woman's hair is her crowning glory, you certainly are helping to make this happen."
-Jeannine, USA
"... Since I'm often quick to complain when something doesn't meet my standards, I want to be sure to give praise when it's due...Renewal 5x is the best shampoo...My hair...now feels thick and full. Even my beautician says it's better than my old shampoo... you can count on me recommending them to others."
-Peggy, Hummelstown, PA
"My first purchase was an impulse buy (I liked the color of the bottles!) But my second purchase was purely because the product is wonderful."
-Chris, Live Oak, FL

Allandra, the daily nourishment leave-in has a very clean smell. It's light and it seemed to penetrate into the hair quickly.

The main reason why i'm using this line of products is because of its claim to make the hair stronger. I took down one of my braids last night and it did appear to be thicker and stronger. I will put it to the test which takes time. If i want my hair to grow long then it needs to be strengthen so it can withstand the daily stresses we put on our hair everyday. The infusium23 just did not work for me. Anyway, i'm happy with the products, i hope it continues to work for me because i will be using these products in my regime.

This product is on my list of things to try too (before the end of 2003).

I am loving the fact that I can get good conditioners from Walmart.
grin.gif

Hello all,

I just want to give an update about the Clairol Renewal 5X products. I am still loooooving them! I use the hydrating conditioner (intense) formula once a week for deep-conditioning (tube is almost empty) and I ran around yesterday frantically trying to find it but to no avail. Anyhow, i will try the Rehydrate conditioner with the replenishing shampoo until i can find the hydrate intense conditioner. I'm also really loving the clairol renewal 5X daily nourishment leave-in. I've started rinsing my hair daily and i use this afterwards and it penetrates so nicely, and the comb glides through my hair. I just want to keep you posted.

Which one do you want to try? Let me know Beana and CarmenRose so that we can share. I'm only a teeny weeny bit interested in the products because I'm in love but the price is currently what is interesting me.

Tee said:
I just tried the conditioner for colored/permed hair the other day, and I was very very impressed. This is a very good conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee--you're the one who started the whole Unfrizz trend (Thanks
notworthy.gif
) so this post definitely bumps these products up on my short To-Try List.

yeah us NYC ladies are engaging in "collective PJism"
grin.gif

Daviine, if this condit is anything like the Unfrizz.. theUnfrizz is gonna get chucked!! LU is kinda pricey, and this is only $2

I just used the Rehydrate shampoo and conditioner for dry or damaged hair. I also used the Daily Nourishment creme leave-in conditioner with a little olive oil. I love it. My hair is very soft and bouncy. My hair even flat ironed smoother.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for posting this review. They sound fantastic. I like that we're starting to find alot of cheap but effective products and reviewing them.

Beana3, let me know if you try it and what you think. Esp, compared to LUST.

Back