Results of my stylist interview-

UmSumayyah

Okay so I went to The Beauty Center in Herndon yesterday. They just hired a stylist for their mini-salon in the back of the store. I decided to take a few minutes out of my day to talk to her and see if she was any good.
She asked me how often I relaxed and I told her I used to go 2-3 times a year but now my goal was every 12 weeks. She said thats good for starters but "Every month is better" WHAT!
shocked.gif
I told her about my overlapping experiences with 2 former stylists. She said there's no such thing as overlapping texturized hair (which is what I used to get) Strike two. That you only have to be careful about overlapping if you are relaxing the hair straight. I She said "I don't believe in chair-hopping. If I'm going to do your hair, I'm going to do your hair." I told her I'd love not to have to chair hop but so far I hadn't found anyone I could stay with.
She also wore a weave and on the right side of her head had a seriously thin hairline going back about an inch or so. So I have no idea what her hair looks like under there.
To top it all off, she smelled very faintly of alcohol. There's more but I think you all get the general idea.
Lesson for the day: ALWAYS interview a stylist before you let them anywhere near your hair. I will from now on. And also, for all you NoVa ladies, DO NOT get your hair done at this bss!
If I went to this lady she would have me bald! Relaxing every month? NO way!
nono.gif

I agree, it's ALWAYS best to interview a potential stylist! If they pass the initial interview, go in for at least one non-chemical appointment like a wash/condition/set to see how they handle your hair before allowing them to put chemicals in your hair. And, if possible, go in and watch them apply a relaxer to one of their clients.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:

To top it all off, she smelled very faintly of alcohol. There's more but I think you all get the general idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grief! Can you imagine a tipsy person curling your hair with a hot curling iron? I don't think so.
nono.gif
I'd report her. I've never heard of that one.
rofl.gif

Yeah, it's always good to interview. I also get referrals from friends or family. I'm fortunate to have aunts, cousins, my mother and sister that will refer me to hairdressers. My mother and I went to the same stylist for years. Now, my sister, cousins and I go to the same stylist.

Relax once a month? Now that is a doggone shame. All she cared about was the money. Good for you for interviewing her first.

I hate hair stylists who just care about the money. The 1st hair stylist I had after I took my braids had the nerve to count all her money from the day while I was making my next and last appointment with her. My stylist is a sweetie she has so many clients who are loyal toher and she doesnt believe in using a lot of heat. God bless her.

Great thing that you interviewed her first. I did that at JCPenney back before I reached the 16-week mark. I told her that I was wanting to try the Affirm Fiberguard and she did something right - she asked me about my previous relaxer (50 points) and I told her Mizani. Then she asked me what was it about Mizani that I didn't like. Another 10 points. I told her nothing really - I just wanted to try the Fiberguard because I had read that it was a conditioning relaxer. Then, she said that most people don't realize that when they get a relaxer that they need to use the whole line of products to get the best results. What?????? Nixed her. Like everybody's hair responds the same. She was dismissive also when I told her that I wanted to go 4 months between relaxers.

I haven't even been to another salon to interview anyone. I just know I'm going to be disappointed.

Stay far away from people who obviously only want to make money off you.

I'm so glad you did that interview. Overlapping texturized hair leads to horrible uneveness in textures as well as weak hair
nono.gif

Yeah. I only wish I'd interviewed the stylist at Penney's who overlapped me. Maybe then I could have kept my hair.
MissB, I never interviewed anyone at Sheldeez. I stopped in once to get some Affirm but they didn't have any. The stylist seemed nice but their salon isn't an option for me because the floorplan is too open. So I didn't interview her. That was last year anyway and they may have new people now. Sorry I couldn't be of help.
The Beauty Center stylist also rolled her eyes when I said I used to use African Pride relaxer, but I never had any problems with it, as I told her. I think she is just against relaxers being available off the shelf because it means less money for her. I was very disppointed. DSD and Karonica--when I smelled that alcohol I knew there was no way I'd let her near me but I continued the interview to be polite. That bss must have really been desperate, but I think hiring her will cost them more in the long run. I just knew that at the very least, my hair sisters on LHCF deserved to be warned!
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my hair. I know that if I am going to try to do it myself again I may very well need 16 weeks of newgrowth to help prevent overlapping. I think I am going to go that far and just keep it in cornrows. I may just be transitioning, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Whenever I see a natural hair album I want to transition, but when I see an album like Supergirl's or Adrienne's I want to master this relaxing thing.
I'll keep you guys updated.

[ QUOTE ]
Then, she said that most people don't realize that when they get a relaxer that they need to use the whole line of products to get the best results. What?????? Nixed her. Like everybody's hair responds the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

GodMadeMePretty, she might not have been off-base here. Even if you don't want to use her for other reasons, other hair care professionals have said that hair responds better when you use an entire line of stuff after relaxing. Shamboosie sez this in his book, and though I didn't agree with every single thing he said his book was on the money, for the most part. For everyday shampooing and conditioning, it might not matter much to me. But for relaxing, this definitely makes sense, especially with Affirm. Their products are great!
smile.gif

Wow!! Incredible story! I'm sooooo glad you kept your hair and your money and are steering clear of this person! Great homework and interview techniques! Excellent work! This is the kind of interviewing we ALL need to be doing! I'm going to do this before I go somewhere too! Smart lady! :-)

[ QUOTE ]
Kitkat said:
[ QUOTE ]
Then, she said that most people don't realize that when they get a relaxer that they need to use the whole line of products to get the best results. What?????? Nixed her. Like everybody's hair responds the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

For everyday shampooing and conditioning, it might not matter much to me. But for relaxing, this definitely makes sense, especially with Affirm. Their products are great!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But she wasn't talking about the after the relaxer products. She was talking about every day maintenance. No, thank you. When I can get shampoo and conditioner cheaper that works the same or better, that's what I'm going for.

UmSumayyah,
Thanks for sharing. Before I reach my 24 week mark in April, I will definitely interview a few stylists. Only wish I could do my own but then I would surely end up bald!!!

GodMadeMePretty,
Your baby girl is so adorable!!!!!!

UmSumayyah,

My mother-in-law has been using African Pride relaxers for years and says that it is the best.

It seems to make my hair the shiniest. If I ever try to do my own relaxers again that's the brand I plan to use.

Not to change the subject but...The Beauty Center has 2 other locations. One at Springfield Mall (Macy's lower level) and one in Bowie, MD (not sure of the address).

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
MissB, I never interviewed anyone at Sheldeez. I stopped in once to get some Affirm but they didn't have any. The stylist seemed nice but their salon isn't an option for me because the floorplan is too open. So I didn't interview her. That was last year anyway and they may have new people now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to Sheldeez Salon in Herndon, VA. It's the first salon I would recommend to a friend. My stylist, Candice, is a young girl but they have plenty of stylists there including the owner Sheldonna. They aren't catty, they don't reprimand me when they can tell I've been trimming my own hair and Candice gives me a mini-trim because she knows I need to take baby steps when it comes to a real trim. I would highly recommend them. My only complaints are that the man who works the phone never gives me an accurate price so I talk directly with the stylist. In addition, he forgot to call me ahead of time when Candace was sick but they're only ten minutes away so I wasn't too upset. I've seen quite a few posts about their shipping problems when it comes to products but a few ladies mentioned "the man on the phone" so I wasn't too surprised.

ohwell.gif

Oh! They did change the floor plan, too. They have booths for more privacy.

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Grief! Can you imagine a tipsy person curling your hair with a hot curling iron? I don't think so.
nono.gif
I'd report her. I've never heard of that one.
rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lolllll

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
just a reminder, why I decided to do it my
self

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
sometimes you gotta remind yourself why you stay away!
smile.gif

Bumping for an update.
When I went to the Beauty Center last week I asked the lady who manages it how the stylist was working out. She ignored the question (there was another customer standing nearby). I'm guessing the lady bombed out for one reason or another. I'm going to have to corner her next time I go and get the scoop.

Back