Resistant to Relaxers?..Got tips

SelfStyled

There are many reasons why hair can be resistant to relaxers. I hope that my tips will help someone. My hair is resistant for a few reasons, it's coarse, with low porosity and I take daily medications. I had been using Affirm reg for the last 9 months, with okay results, I DID not want to go back to the salon, becase of a mishap. I also did not want to use a Super perm because my hair is very fine.

Gymfreak, gave me some tips -(Thanks Gym!!!!:cheers:) And I got salon results yesterday from my relaxer.

I chelated (Kenra chelating poo)3 days before, this helped to get rid of product buildup but also helped to get rid of minerals, medication deposits,etc.

I kept product usage to a minimum for those three days.

On relax day I flat ironed the new growth only with a 1/2 inch FI. This somehow helps the newgrowth to straighten with the relaxer. My NG is no joke, and its less work for the relaxer to straighten out the coils if you help it along by straightening it first. I hope this makes sense. I really think this was the most important step.

I then followed my reg relaxer routine. I was very skeptical that my relaxer would came out good. I rollerset my hair, did a cross wrap and then a saran wrap. I could not believe how good my hair came out, but most importantly how straight my roots got.

Just wanted to share, I hope this helps someone that has been struggling to get the self relaxing better.

Gymfreak mentioned before that people flat iron their roots to open up the cuticle prior to relaxing. I might try that because my hair is resistant to relaxers. I dont have a flat iron though.

you know something OP... i have very coarse hair, which i think has low porosity (or at least lower than "normal"). when i used to relax it would be AT LEAST 8-12 weeks post and my NG would be packed down to my head. no wonder my hair always came out "texlaxed" even after almost half an hour... :lachen:

i will keep this in mind though... easier to straighten if it's already straight-ish. my kitchen clients will be pleased... :yep:

My problem has been have a very sensitive scalp and my hair is coarse with thick NG. Found that the only relaxer I could use without setting me on fire is Affirm Sensitive Scalp Relaxer. I have at least an inch of NG now. Trying to stretch and I seem to be successful. If I didn't try the baggy method, I would have relaxed last weekend.

My problem has been have a very sensitive scalp and my hair is coarse with thick NG. Found that the only relaxer I could use without setting me on fire is Affirm Sensitive Scalp Relaxer. I have at least an inch of NG now. Trying to stretch and I seem to be successful. If I didn't try the baggy method, I would have relaxed last weekend.

I wish I had some tips for sensitive scalps:rolleyes:. Do you make sure you base? Try doing a search on here.

Gymfreak mentioned before that people flat iron their roots to open up the cuticle prior to relaxing. I might try that because my hair is resistant to relaxers. I dont have a flat iron though.

Just some food for thought Loca.....It sounds like you and I have similar hair, I have a very inexpensive Flat iron..if you do invest try a cheap one first. Thanks for a more scientific explanation. I agree in thinking its all about the cuticle.

you know something OP... i have very coarse hair, which i think has low porosity (or at least lower than "normal"). when i used to relax it would be AT LEAST 8-12 weeks post and my NG would be packed down to my head. no wonder my hair always came out "texlaxed" even after almost half an hour... :lachen: Too funny!!!!!!
i will keep this in mind though... easier to straighten if it's already straight-ish. my kitchen clients will be pleased... :yep:

Good luck with your kitchen clients!:yep:

Thanks for posting this SelfStyled. :up: I'm definitely going to try straightening before relaxing. Certain areas on my head are resistant to relaxers. I recently started using a super and it does get my hair bone straight, BUT, it also seems to be making the strands thinner. :sad: :nono:
I looked at a shed hair one day to see the difference in straightness and I noticed that the new bone straight part is actually thinner than the rest of the strand. So I would really like to achieve bone straight results with a regular strength relaxer.

If you have a sensitive scalp you can try using a lithium hydroxide relaxer. These are the no-mix no lye relaxers.

Thanks for posting this SelfStyled. :up: I'm definitely going to try straightening before relaxing. Certain areas on my head are resistant to relaxers. I recently started using a super and it does get my hair bone straight, BUT, it also seems to be making the strands thinner. :sad: :nono:
I looked at a shed hair one day to see the difference in straightness and I noticed that the new bone straight part is actually thinner than the rest of the strand. So I would really like to achieve bone straight results with a regular strength relaxer.

:yep:Good luck choclatesis, I hope the tips work and you can get back to using reg.

There are many reasons why hair can be resistant to relaxers. I hope that my tips will help someone. My hair is resistant for a few reasons, it's coarse, with low porosity and I take daily medications. I had been using Affirm reg for the last 9 months, with okay results, I DID not want to go back to the salon, becase of a mishap. I also did not want to use a Super perm because my hair is very fine.

Gymfreak, gave me some tips -(Thanks Gym!!!!:cheers:) And I got salon results yesterday from my relaxer.

I chelated (Kenra chelating poo)3 days before, this helped to get rid of product buildup but also helped to get rid of minerals, medication deposits,etc.

I kept product usage to a minimum for those three days.

On relax day I flat ironed the new growth only with a 1/2 inch FI. This somehow helps the newgrowth to straighten with the relaxer. My NG is no joke, and its less work for the relaxer to straighten out the coils if you help it along by straightening it first. I hope this makes sense. I really think this was the most important step.

I then followed my reg relaxer routine. I was very skeptical that my relaxer would came out good. I rollerset my hair, did a cross wrap and then a saran wrap. I could not believe how good my hair came out, but most importantly how straight my roots got.

Just wanted to share, I hope this helps someone that has been struggling to get the self relaxing better.

I never thought about doing this when I was relaxed although I should have. Thanks ladies for this thread.

:bouncy: SS, everything you said makes so much sense: the chelating and the flat ironing both help the chemical process better. My hair is sooooo COARSE, so I am constantly on the lookout for tips to perfect my self relaxing game. Gym never disappoints with her tips. Glad you had a pleasant self relaxing experience, because that makes it so much easier to become a self sufficient DIYer. Post pics when you can.

Last edited:
I've actually thought about this before but was too chicken to try it! I could maybe flat iron like three days before cuz my scalp is always real sensitive to anything I do before the relaxing process.

Gymfreak, I used to use Soft n Beautiful (my scalp doesn't like). Now I want to switch. I'm thinking about switching to Design Essentials or Profectiv Regular.

You mentioned that a lithium hydroxide relaxer is best for those with sensitive scalps. Which relaxers have that formula?

Oh, I just came across your other thread

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=234155

Gymfreak...I will be taking this info. to heart. Thanks for digging up all this good stuff for us!

Last edited:
I never thought about doing this when I was relaxed although I should have. Thanks ladies for this thread.

I found that tidbit in the archives. :yep:There is alot of good info there. I had read that before and didn't really understand it but after doing more digging on porosity and what not it made perfect sense.

I've actually thought about this before but was too chicken to try it! I could maybe flat iron like three days before cuz my scalp is always real sensitive to anything I do before the relaxing process.

Gymfreak, I used to use Soft n Beautiful (my scalp doesn't like). Now I want to switch. I'm thinking about switching to Design Essentials or Profectiv Regular.

You mentioned that a lithium hydroxide relaxer is best for those with sensitive scalps. Which relaxers have that formula?

I have never used profectiv relaxers but I have heard good things about them. I have used design essentials before and I think they make a good relaxer too. If I could find that in my area, I would have been buying that instead of Mizani. Lithium hydroxide relaxers are good for sensitive scalps. Vitale Pro's Tenderheaded relaxer is a lithium hydroxide. I used lithium hydroxide yesterday and I am in love.

The way you know a lithium hydroxide relaxer is when it says No mix no-lye. I would still check the ingredients though because TCB's no mix no-lye uses calcium oxide I belive. They don't need a liquid activator.

Hawaiian silky makes one, it comes in 3 strengths. This is what I used yesterday, I used the regular. I posted a link in the thread I started about it so you can see it.
Gentle treatment makes one http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/product_view.php?itemCode=EIUG050207KC0328

Relvon and Cream of Nature do too but a member here warned me about the relvon one. She didn't have a good experience with it.

Vitale Pro and Epitome both make one too.

Here are some more.

I have never used profectiv relaxers but I have heard good things about them. I have used design essentials before and I think they make a good relaxer too. If I could find that in my area, I would have been buying that instead of Mizani. Lithium hydroxide relaxers are good for sensitive scalps. Vitale Pro's Tenderheaded relaxer is a lithium hydroxide. I used lithium hydroxide yesterday and I am in love.

The way you know a lithium hydroxide relaxer is when it says No mix no-lye. I would still check the ingredients though because TCB's no mix no-lye uses calcium oxide I belive. They don't need a liquid activator.

Hawaiian silky makes one, it comes in 3 strengths. This is what I used yesterday, I used the regular. I posted a link in the thread I started about it so you can see it.
Gentle treatment makes one http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/product_view.php?itemCode=EIUG050207KC0328

Relvon and Cream of Nature do too but a member here warned me about the relvon one. She didn't have a good experience with it.

Vitale Pro and Epitome both make one too.

Here are some more.

I have to read up on no-lye and lye...even though I loved chemistry in college, this still confuses me :lachen: But you're so knowledgable about it and that's great.

I read in your other post also that the HS comes in mild. I've NEVER been able to use a mild relaxer, but maybe with your flat iron method I might be able to.

Yay :drunk:

This is one of those threads that I will print out and save on my computer!

I have to read up on no-lye and lye...even though I loved chemistry in college, this still confuses me :lachen: But you're so knowledgable about it and that's great.

I read in your other post also that the HS comes in mild. I've NEVER been able to use a mild relaxer, but maybe with your flat iron method I might be able to.

Yay :drunk:

This is one of those threads that I will print out and save on my computer!

Cosmetic chemistry is fun:yep:

I used the regular strength and processed for 15 minutes which was recommeneded for fine hair. I only smoothed once and it did the trick. You could probably get away with the regular and just process for your hair type. On the back of the jar it gives the times for all 3 hair types regardless of the strength of relaxer. Also, clarify and chelate (if you have hard water) the wash before you relax and make sure you use enough relaxer. I never thought I could use mild too until I started doing those things . I also like using mild because my hair is fine but usually needs more than the 10 minutes or so that alot of relaxers say for fine hair. Using mild buys me a little time when self relaxing.

I found that tidbit in the archives. :yep:There is alot of good info there. I had read that before and didn't really understand it but after doing more digging on porosity and what not it made perfect sense.

thanks again sweetie for sharing it. I had never heard of/thought about doing this before now. I always wondered what went wrong with my relaxer.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm wondering is: chelating before a relaxer and after sounds too much. I don't really want my hair any more stripped than it could be

The only thing I'm wondering is: chelating before a relaxer and after sounds too much. I don't really want my hair any more stripped than it could be

I clarify before and after relaxing with no issues, but I don't think it's necessary. I like doing it though. :yep:

Back