Removing black dye from hair w/color strippers?? Advice needed.

Suerte

Well, I tried to dye my hair burgendy on the bottom and a lighter coppery red on the top.
I was just bored. Not even going for a specific color. I had a coupon :lachen:

BUT... It's been like, maybe 3 months since the last time I dyed my hair black. So I have about 2 inches or so of natural hair roots.

SOOOOOO... I have about 2 inches of light reddish blond hair all at my roots on the top... and black hair everywhere else, with a slight tint of burgendy to it.

How can I fix this myself... or should I go to a salon for this?? Most color strippers only need a 20% developer, right? Should I try a 30% developer? Or just leave this for a professional?

If you go to folica.com and search for Colorfix, there are a lot of reviews on this product. Most people said it caused no damage to their hair from what I have researched soo far. I am thinking of doing it to get rid of my dark Bigen hair.

Last edited:
Don't do it! I was once tempted to try to get some black color out of my hair. I talked to several professionals about doing this matter at home. Not one of them recommened dark (as in black) color removal for a home job, even the Asian woman in the Beauty Max told me "NO NO NO-YOU DO DAMAGE" (I had the developer in my hand and put it back)...It is better left to an experienced colorist.

I will stay black or either get it properly lightened at a professional salon.

If you go to folica.com and search for Colorfix, there are a lot of reviews on this product. Most people said it caused no damage to their hair from what I have researched soo far. I am thinking of doing it to get rid of my dark Bigen hair.

I was eyeing this at Sally's.

Now... I got some covered up honey blond on my ends, some raspberry in the middle, some orangey burgendy at the roots... all with some Clairol Natural Instincts over the whole bit 3inches down to the ends.

So... I'll be crossing my fingers on this one.

I planned on cutting my hair back up to APL to get the lightened ends off anyways because they're a hot mess. I cut the bleached bits off last November.

*sigh*

Haircolor is gonna be the death of me.

Twisties... I think I might get a consult at a real color studio just to see what they say and see what they say they'd do... then do it myself.

I think. Not sure though.

I'm just mad that I put this color on my roots. Really mad.

I was eyeing this at Sally's.

Now... I got some covered up honey blond on my ends, some raspberry in the middle, some orangey burgendy at the roots... all with some Clairol Natural Instincts over the whole bit 3inches down to the ends.

So... I'll be crossing my fingers on this one.

I planned on cutting my hair back up to APL to get the lightened ends off anyways because they're a hot mess. I cut the bleached bits off last November.

*sigh*

Haircolor is gonna be the death of me.

Twisties... I think I might get a consult at a real color studio just to see what they say and see what they say they'd do... then do it myself.

I think. Not sure though.

I'm just mad that I put this color on my roots. Really mad.

Yeah, I have seen it Sally's as well. I read through a lot of the reviews and the product seems really good and it is not supposed to damage your hair. I am still on the fence, and need to do more investigating, but everything I have researched soo far sounds good.

You do not need to do any type of color remover to remove the black dye from your hair. Here is a tip I got from a hair stylist. I have used this myself, but keep in mind that no matter what type of process you use you will be left w/some "warmth" in your hair.

Get some 10 volume, preferably Clairol, cream developer. Take a little measuring cup (I use one of my daughter's cups that comes with children's medications, or you could use one of those free medicine droppers they give away at most pharmacies) and measure out about 40ml of developer. Add about 2 squirts of shampoo and about 1 squirt of conditioner. Put this on your dry hair and stay in the bathroom and watch it. The color will slowly start to lift and when you wash it out you will see the black dye washing out of your hair.

If you want to remove all the dye you add one of two products to this mixture. You can get a box of Clairol Complements hair lightener, using 1/2 of one of the activator packettes. Or you can get the Luminizer hair lightener. Both of these are gentle to use. I personally used the Clairol lightener on my and my girlfriend's hair and we were both happy with the results. I even used this when my hair had highlights in it!! No damage at all. If you want more in depth info PM me.

Good luck.

Back