Reminiscing on hot hair care/product trends of the past

Cherokee-n-Black

Someone below said something was "hot like Indian hair products" (a trend I, the product guru of my circle somehow missed:sleep8:) And it got me to thinkin' about things that have come and gone. The one I remember is Horse Shampoo! Remember that? Mane and Tail. And it came in a bottle big enough to shampoo a horse as I recall. Did nada for me. What are some others?

Was Mane 'n Tail a trend? My mom used that when I was little & my hair was healthy & a lot of people I know (and ppl on this board) still use it....

IDK, I'm thinking maybe blue grease? Then again, people still use that, too....

How about crochet-braids???? Those were terrible.

It was like big, big news when I was in college/law school. I'm talking evvvverybody was trying it. Unfortunately, none of us saw the amazing results of the person who recommended it. I can tell you this, because it goes pretty far back, the shampoo was not marketed the way it is now. It really was horse shampoo, and it was for horses. Now the bottle is much prettier and it looks like a human hair product. Back then, it definitely looked very um, veterinary...? I may be showing my age, here. Blue grease was quite the thing when I was growing up. I think the one my mom used was primarily blue vaseline with bergamot fragrance.

Jheri Curls to grow out the hair! They would grow out everybody's hair...but whenever you tried to stop getting one...you were back to a twa!!

Rio was worse than useless, it ate folks' hair. Turns out that it wasn't edible, or natural or any of the other good things it was supposed to be. I think there were a bunch of lawsuits as a result. But you are right, it was the thang back in the day.

Alright, gonna show my age on this one. Does anyone remeber the blowout kits made by Afro Sheen?

Rio was worse than useless, it ate folks' hair. Turns out that it wasn't edible, or natural or any of the other good things it was supposed to be. I think there were a bunch of lawsuits as a result. But you are right, it was the thang back in the day.

Alright, gonna show my age on this one. Does anyone remeber the blowout kits made by Afro Sheen?

I was in the class action lawsuit. :ohwell: I luckily only used it once, but it messed me up. That's why I don't go broke trying new hair stuff now- I wait for lots of reviews.

Back