Remi vs yaki hair

naija24

When choosing hair for sew ins or wigs, which type of hair is better? What's the difference between the two types of hair?

Remi and yaki have nothing to do with each other. Remi refers to the quality and yaki refers to the texture.

You would probably want hair that is both remy and yaki.

Remi and yaki have nothing to do with each other. Remi refers to the quality and yaki refers to the texture. You would probably want hair that is both remy and yaki.

I see. So why would 10 inch 100% human yaki hair be 35$ but 100% Indian Demi of the same length would be 75$?

Remi yaki is best. Remi tangles less and yaki is usually more dense and more realistic looking depending on your texture

I see. So why would 10 inch 100% human yaki hair be 35$ but 100% Indian Demi of the same length would be 75$?

You have different textures like:
Silky Straight/Perm Straight/Yaki/Curly/Wavy/etc...

Then they sell those in different qualities:
Regular/ 50/50 / Remy / etc...

Remy refers to the fact that it is top of the line/cream of the crop Yaki. It supposedly sheds less, tangles less, etc...

Here is an explanation of remi from Luxyhair.com:

Remy Human Hair is the highest grade of real, human hair that is a preferred choice for hair extensions, hairpieces and wigs because it achieves the most natural look.

So what does Remy Human Hair mean?
Remy Hair is considered to be the finest quality of human hair because the cuticles are kept intact and not stripped, like in most other non-Remy hair extensions. Preserving the hairs’ cuticles and aligning them in a unidirectional fashion creates extensions that are completely natural in appearance. This process ensures that the hair remains super soft, shiny, silky and completely tangle-free throughout its lifetime.

Luxy Clip In Hair Extensions use only the finest quality Remy Human Hair, which means that the hair has been carefully sorted after collecting from the hair donor to ensure all the cuticles are of the same length. It is by far the best quality of Clip In Human Hair Extensions on the market because of the care that is required and the time it takes to sort the hair so meticulously.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

You just explained it right there. The yaki is cheaper cause its not remi, meaning lower quality. You can get 100% Indian hair of the same length and price that's not remi.

As others have stated remi is a way to describe the quality, not texture. Just like virgin hair. You can have virgin yaki, indian, Brazilian, Mongolian, so on.

You just explained it right there. The yaki is cheaper cause its not remi, meaning lower quality. You can get 100% Indian hair of the same length and price that's not remi. As others have stated remi is a way to describe the quality, not texture. Just like virgin hair. You can have virgin yaki, indian, Brazilian, Mongolian, so on.

I guess my question is this: is it bad that I got the cheaper hair for my install? The stylist said this yaki hair will last 2-3 months but probably need to be replaced after that. How true is this statement?

The cheaper hair will tangle and shed more and it won't hold up as well as more the expensive hair. I used to spend $25-30 a pack and my 'hair' would be a hot mess by week two. Once I started spending $100+ on hair, I was able to keep it for 6-9 months(taking it down and washing it every 2 months) and it looked great. It depends on the look you're going for and if you want the weave as a protective style or a showpiece. I no longer wear weaves, but if DH ever let me get one installed, I would shell out for quality.

But don't feel bad. As long as you have the right stylist, you'll look good. I had a great stylist that made every style look like a million bucks. A bad stylist can make the finest of hair look like terrible wig.

The cheaper hair will tangle and shed more and it won't hold up as well as more the expensive hair. I used to spend $25-30 a pack and my 'hair' would be a hot mess by week two. Once I started spending $100+ on hair, I was able to keep it for 6-9 months(taking it down and washing it every 2 months) and it looked great. It depends on the look you're going for and if you want the weave as a protective style or a showpiece. I no longer wear weaves, but if DH ever let me get one installed, I would shell out for quality.

I bought the $100/bundle hair and seriously, when I took my last installation out, it was a gross and tangled mess. Even when I would wash it. I'm not sure how that happened. Hence why I don't want to spend that much on hair. I feel like some of these salons selling hair are lying to us the consumer.

I'm just almost 1 week post install and it looks fine so far. I plan to go in every 2 weeks to get professionally washed and things so that it will last the whole 8-10 weeks.

I just need my 3-4 inches :(

Jerseyhair is correct. The higher quality the longer it will last. But you are correct as well because there are a lot of people and places selling some reggie hair and passing it for remi.

This is where you have to do your research, know the supply and the installer. Beyond that I cant provide any better advice as I'm not a weave-ologist or weave wearer.

If you ever lurk on bhm they had some serious weave heads there who knew their stuff to a science. I'd say their weave game is better than what you'll find here (though I havent been there in some time). I'd give them a lurk or 2.

I'm just almost 1 week post install and it looks fine so far. I plan to go in every 2 weeks to get professionally washed and things so that it will last the whole 8-10 weeks.

I just need my 3-4 inches :([/QUOTE]

Hi Naija, if you ever decide to buy bundle hair again try buying it online or from a vendor. I brought bundle hair from a salon and the BSS too. Both of them started to tangle up after three or four weeks. I brought hair from a vendor and it has lasted over year. The hair is still going strong. There is hardly any tangles and shedding.

I only buy Remy hair from the BSS. I do not buy virgin or bundl from the BSS. I only think "some" of their Remy is good. (I don't buy the Remy hair that says buy 1 get 1 free, because those tangle fast.) Usually, I will spend $130 or more on remy hair all together. Velvet is a good brand. I hope others can recommend different brands to you as well.

Last edited:
One of my coworkers who wears back-to-back sew-ins recommends the Velvet brand from the BSS. However I was drawn straight over to the virgin remi hair. This hair is holding up pretty good. I just have to work with it. Spray with conditioner water mixture everyday, brush it out everyday then squeeze the curls back in. If not it will get tangled. Wash and DC weekly too. With all of that, the hair is doing really well.

ETA: I wont go back to the salon until its time to get it tightened.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:
Back