Relaxing in Sections?

SweetCaramel1

can anyone give me advice on how to relax in sections? i'm going to end my stretch this weekend and i need your help. awhile ago i read someone relaxed a portion of their hair while the other part was covered in a shower cap. i just can't see this working for me as i am very messy and have about 3 inches of new growth. is it possible to keep half of your hair dry while your washing the perm out of the second half? i know there may seem to be an obvious answer but i can't seem to keep the back of my hair dry while taking a shower, i can't imagine trying to do a relaxer and keeping half dry :confused:

are there any tips, recommendations, suggestions???

I used to do this. I would do it over the sink. Relax the front half while the back half is under a plastic cap. Rinse and neutralize the front and then move on to the back. I stopped this method because one time I accidentally got some relaxer on the back half while I was doing the front and got a large scalp burn. :mad: But it was my fault because I was rushing. It really is a good method if you completely protect one half from the other. Good luck!

baglady215 said:
I used to do this. I would do it over the sink. Relax the front half while the back half is under a plastic cap. Rinse and neutralize the front and then move on to the back. I stopped this method because one time I accidentally got some relaxer on the back half while I was doing the front and got a large scalp burn. :mad: But it was my fault because I was rushing. It really is a good method if you completely protect one half from the other. Good luck!

thanks lady!

Thanks for the tip. I may try to self-relax this weekend, and thought it would be better to start in the back first, but after your suggestion, I may rethink. Any other self-relaxing tips out there?

Forget relaxing in sections. I followed baglady's method of banding first then relaxing and it was perfect. Banding being you detangle the hair grab a good size amount then right where the new growth and old hair meets you place some type of hair scrunchie/elastic/whatever there. I used nylons that I had cut up to make scrunchies. Doing that there was NO overlapping and I could do my whole head OR front first then back with no problems. Plus doing the back was no problem because I could feel where the scrunchie was so I didn't go above that.

Thanks baglady :)

Faith said:
Forget relaxing in sections. I followed baglady's method of banding first then relaxing and it was perfect. Banding being you detangle the hair grab a good size amount then right where the new growth and old hair meets you place some type of hair scrunchie/elastic/whatever there. I used nylons that I had cut up to make scrunchies. Doing that there was NO overlapping and I could do my whole head OR front first then back with no problems. Plus doing the back was no problem because I could feel where the scrunchie was so I didn't go above that.

I also use small ponytail holders to pre-divide sections. I only takes 10min to do my entire head, that's 1/2 the time that is used to take.

I'm planning to do the Baglady method next time. I just realized the other week how much it would help me. :yep:

I done it this weekend, I was 14 weeks post. I made a part from ear to ear and applied the relaxer at the back vertically, parting horizontally was not happening for me!!! I used hair bands to secure the front, put a showercap over it and used a handheld shower to wash out the back. I asked my mum to help me wash out the back section. I then Neutralized it with conditioner and proceeded to relax the next section and washed it off my face, tilting my head back with the showerhead. I was praying the whole time but it was much easier than I thought.

I relaxed over the weekend using this technique and it was a disaster. I covered the top half with the plastic bag but when I rinsed, a part of the top half closer to the ear got wet. Also, because I cannot see behind me, the ear to ear part had relaxer on it even though I rinsed the back. I had to blow dry the wet side in order to continue relaxing the front. The ear to ear part I would assume might be overprocessed because the relaxer remained there until I did the front and washed entirely. In order for me to self relax in sections and rinse each section, I would need help with the rinsing. I have to come up with a better technique for self-relaxing.

lonei said:
I done it this weekend, I was 14 weeks post. I made a part from ear to ear and applied the relaxer at the back vertically, parting horizontally was not happening for me!!! I used hair bands to secure the front, put a showercap over it and used a handheld shower to wash out the back. I asked my mum to help me wash out the back section. I then Neutralized it with conditioner and proceeded to relax the next section and washed it off my face, tilting my head back with the showerhead. I was praying the whole time but it was much easier than I thought.

Queenie said:
I also use small ponytail holders to pre-divide sections. I only takes 10min to do my entire head, that's 1/2 the time that is used to take.

I'm planning to do the Baglady method next time. I just realized the other week how much it would help me. :yep:

I use pony tail holders also. I part my hair in four sections and use 3 holders to seperate the sections. Also, I use clips to seperate the hair/section that I am currently relaxing.

I do it in 4 sections :)

I tried that method of relaxing half washing it and repeating on another part. Didnt work for me , I just dont have the patience, resources of space in my bathroom to achieve it.. LOL

Faith said:

I used a variation of the method Faith described when I relaxed the front section of my hair about five weeks ago. I used those ouchless bands to separate my hair in about 20 small sections. Each section was already thoroughly detangled. I slipped the bands off as I worked through each section and the banded sections stayed out of the way until I got to them. It worked like a charm.

Thanks, Baglady! :kiss:

sassyhair said:
I am not sure that I understand the baglady method, where can I find this method?
I explain it in my previous post in this thread. It's like the new way people have been rollersetting. Take small sections of hair and put elastics/scrunchies/whatever right where the new and old meet...the demarcation line (unlike the rollersetting method where it is placed at the roots). Then relax from roots (well 1/4" above) to where the scrunchie was placed...the demarcation line.

Faith said:
I explain it in my previous post in this thread. It's like the new way people have been rollersetting. Take small sections of hair and put elastics/scrunchies/whatever right where the new and old meet...the demarcation line (unlike the rollersetting method where it is placed at the roots). Then relax from roots (well 1/4" above) to where the scrunchie was placed...the demarcation line.

that's awesome. do you take the scrunchie's out or leave them in while relaxing???

I had good results when I relaxed in sections on 4/1. I greased my scalp the night before. The next day I parted my hair from ear to ear. I detangled both sections and added a lil extra grease to my ends. I got a scarf and tied up the back of my hair which means I put the scarf at the back of my hair and wrapped it around the front of my neck and tied it at the back of my neck (if that makes any sense:lol:) And I made sure that it was a cottony/polyester type scarf so that I could move my head and neck around. And then I took a thick head band and lined it up right where the part in the middle of my head was(the front part of the headband was resting on my jawline/chin) so that way I could feel if I was going to far when rinsing the relaxer out the from the front of my hair and it also prevented the back half from getting wet.

I know it probably sounds complicated but it was really easy to do and I had excellent results.:)

ETA: I took SistaSlick's advive and added some EVOO to my relaxer and my hair came out so shiney and smoooove!

Last edited:
SweetCaramel1 said:
that's awesome. do you take the scrunchie's out or leave them in while relaxing???
After I applied the relaxer and before time was up I began removing the scrunchies/elastics/whatever/ since I didn't want to have them in when it was time to rinse.

I'm taking notes...

I do like the thickness of a relaxer not left on for long but, I simply cannot comb my hair through easily...

The next time I relax i'm going to get it a little straighter. I'll need to use the method described above,

I no longer perm but this sounds like a great method.

Hello There!
I'm fairly new here so I have been predominantly lurking, but LondonDiva has had a very comprehensive tutorial in her Fotki about how to relax in sections. I tried it in May with very good results. PM her for her password and take a look, it was very helpful.

I tried to cut corners (relaxing my whole head but in sections) with my recent relaxer because I was feeling lazy with not so good results.

I will definitely do the covered sections next time. IMHO It just gives you enough time to focus on a small section and get it right. I secured the shower cap carefully with clips trying not to irritate my scalp.

Hope this helps.
Jenni

Back