relaxers applied in "rotation"?

StartinOvah

oddly enough, i heard of this while in an all natural salon.

the idea is to apply the relaxer to your hair in rotation. that is, you start your relaxer in a different place with each application as opposed to just starting with the nape all the time.

for example:

you part your hair in four sections (front left, front right, back left, back right). let's say you apply the relaxer first to the back right, then the back left, then the front left and lastly the front right. on your next touch up, you should apply the relaxer starting with the back left, then the front left, etc. leaving the back right as the last area you apply the relaxer. next touchup, you start with the front left, and so on and so on. you still leave the edges for last.

the stylist said that this is the proper way to apply a relaxer. the stylist is supposed to keep a record of where he/she left off so they would know where to start for the next touchup.
according to her, it prevents overprocessing because the area that you apply the relaxer to first has had contact with the chemicals the longest. so instead of constantly overprocessing that one area, you spread it around to all sections of the hair. (not spread the overprocessing, but you know what i mean.) so eventually, i guess after 4 touchups, your head has had relaxer applied in equal time lengths. and you keep going in this rotation.

i never heard of this before and it certainly hasn't been put into practice on me in all the years i had a relaxer. anyone else ever heard of this?

sorry if this is posted somewhere else. i tried to search for it so i wouldn't repeat.

I do this at every single relaxer. :yep: Some people have to apply relaxer first to the most resistant areas since they will tend to need more processing time to get an even turnout. I don't really have a resistant area, so rotating my application starting point definitely works. :yep:

I just heard this for the first time about a week ago on "Makeover Manor", the stylist explained it the exact same way.

This is excellent and logical information. I've never heard of this until now, but I will put this into practice from now on. :up:

For me, I never understood why they wouldn't start in my crown. My nape hardly ever needs much relaxing it is the thickest area of my hair the crown that needs it most. Does anyone have an answer on this, if not I may have to start another thread

Sistaslick said:
I do this at every single relaxer. :yep: Some people have to apply relaxer first to the most resistant areas since they will tend to need more processing time to get an even turnout. I don't really have a resistant area, so rotating my application starting point definitely works. :yep:

Yeah, this is the case for me. My kitchen area has always been the kinkiest/coarsest section of my hair (4a/b), while ALL the other areas are equally soft/fine (4a/3c even). So if I want the kitchen area to get as straight as the other areas, its best that the relaxer sit in this area longer, even if just a few minutes longer. Because I literally want the relaxer washed out as SOON as they are done applying.... otherwise the hair gets too straight. So for this reason i prefer that the kitchen area get the relaxer application first.

trimbride said:
For me, I never understood why they wouldn't start in my crown. My nape hardly ever needs much relaxing it is the thickest area of my hair the crown that needs it most. Does anyone have an answer on this, if not I may have to start another thread

Im sure its just a matter of you talking to your stylist and asking that she start in the crown area in the future. I think stylists probably start in a particular place out of habit, but if you point out the section that needs it most I dont see why she/he would argue with you.

I mean, I would think that a "new" stylist who you are just beginning with would assess your overall hair texture, look thru the new growth, and make a determination about where she should apply it first.... but if the stylist doesnt do that, she is probably just beginning the relaxer in a place that is arbitrary. Thats why I think she/he would be open to changing this if you mention your preference.

Last edited:
This makes total sense to me. My crown is also the kinkiest but when applying the relaxer hair dressers always seem to start with the back.

Since I'm thinking of switching to self relaxing the next time I relax, I plan to relax my hair in at least 5 sections, one section in the middle (crown) and four sections around that. I will relax the crown first and then do the rotation thing over the other 4 parts of my hair. Does that make sense?

StartinOvah said:
oddly enough, i heard of this while in an all natural salon.

the idea is to apply the relaxer to your hair in rotation. that is, you start your relaxer in a different place with each application as opposed to just starting with the nape all the time.

for example:

you part your hair in four sections (front left, front right, back left, back right). let's say you apply the relaxer first to the back right, then the back left, then the front left and lastly the front right. on your next touch up, you should apply the relaxer starting with the back left, then the front left, etc. leaving the back right as the last area you apply the relaxer. next touchup, you start with the front left, and so on and so on. you still leave the edges for last.

the stylist said that this is the proper way to apply a relaxer. the stylist is supposed to keep a record of where he/she left off so they would know where to start for the next touchup.
according to her, it prevents overprocessing because the area that you apply the relaxer to first has had contact with the chemicals the longest. so instead of constantly overprocessing that one area, you spread it around to all sections of the hair. (not spread the overprocessing, but you know what i mean.) so eventually, i guess after 4 touchups, your head has had relaxer applied in equal time lengths. and you keep going in this rotation.

i never heard of this before and it certainly hasn't been put into practice on me in all the years i had a relaxer. anyone else ever heard of this?

sorry if this is posted somewhere else. i tried to search for it so i wouldn't repeat.

But if you are only relaxing the NEW GROWTH does it matter where you start?

I guess they are factoring in inevitable, accidental overlapping. :) Applying relaxer perfectly to the newgrowth never touching a prelaxed strand is close to impossible. Thats how I see it anyway.:lol:

Sistaslick said:
I guess they are factoring in inevitable, accidental overlapping. :) Applying relaxer perfectly to the newgrowth never touching a prelaxed strand is close to impossible. Thats how I see it anyway.:lol:
Oh I guess because I band my hair (placing elastic right at demarcation line) I don't have that great risk of overlapping. I'll still incorporate it though...hm.

I started doing this last yr when I started self relaxing. I was so scared of being "balded" again that I had some underprocessed areas, so it just made sense to start with worst area first. I just relaxed today starting on the left - in Sept. I'll start on the right. I've been really pleased with how it works out:lachen:

Back