Relaxer

Quinette

Hello ladies,
I hope everyone is doing well. I just had a quick question. I have noticed since August of 2006 when I started my journey that it has become harder and harder to stretch between relaxers. I started out at 6 months relaxing in Feb of this year and noticed new growth about 3 weeks in. I held out until May and then I relaxed again in September. However for about the past 4 weeks I have been experiencing lots of shedding and breakage and nothing I try seems to work except for straighten it with my flat iron. I don't like to do this because I am trying to use as little heat as possible, so I try to stick to protective styles like roller sets and bantu knots. But the breakage is getting so bad I am afraid I am doing more damage than good. I have noticed that my new growth comes in fast and thick but my hair seems to stay the same length. So the question is: Should I stop trying to stretch for long periods and relax when I start to notice lots of breakage or should I be doing something? Thanks in advance.

Hello ladies,
I hope everyone is doing well. I just had a quick question. I have noticed since August of 2006 when I started my journey that it has become harder and harder to stretch between relaxers. I started out at 6 months relaxing in Feb of this year and noticed new growth about 3 weeks in. I held out until May and then I relaxed again in September. However for about the past 4 weeks I have been experiencing lots of shedding and breakage and nothing I try seems to work except for straighten it with my flat iron. I don't like to do this because I am trying to use as little heat as possible, so I try to stick to protective styles like roller sets and bantu knots. But the breakage is getting so bad I am afraid I am doing more damage than good. I have noticed that my new growth comes in fast and thick but my hair seems to stay the same length. So the question is: Should I stop trying to stretch for long periods and relax when I start to notice lots of breakage or should I be doing something? Thanks in advance.

There have been people who've posted that they can't stretch relaxers...for some people stretching does cause breakage and shedding and it doesn't stop until they do the retouch/t-up

Do you DC every week? How often do you use the flat Iron? you may also need a protein treatment and low manipulation. The Key is also Moisture.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate the help. My hair use to be thin and now that it is thicker I don't really know how to take care of it I guess.

Closer1: Yes I do deep condition every week and I did a protein treatment when I noticed the breakage but that didn't seem to help. I may flat iron twice a month right after a relaxer ,but after that it may be 2 or 3 months between using it.

Back