Relaxer Switchers: How did you decide?

Artemis

I've been using Motions Mild since I've been relaxed this time around (maybe 1.5 yrs) and I like my hair okay, I just feel like I'm having to work a little more than I'd like to when styling. I don't know if I consider it texlaxed or anything, but it could still be a little straighter w/o being bone straight, y'know??

ETA: I've also noticed that as my hair is getting healthier, the relaxer is taking longer to achieve the results I want :ohwell:

Anyways, my point is that I'm looking to do some research on other relaxers, and this question came up...

What is the deciding factor when you choose a new relaxer to try? What makes you pick one over the other, when you've never tried a brand before? I've been searching the boards for best/worst relaxer, etc., but you never really know if what someone else is using will work for you...so what do you think ladies??

Also, if you have left over a relaxer tub in your stash, do you just throw it out when you switch, or do you give it away/swap/sell it??

(If someone has already posted on this topic, please let me know. I couldn't think of a way to search for this question w/o getting other extraneous results. Thanks!)
TIA

Last edited:
artemis_e. said:
I've been using Motions Mild since I've been relaxed this time around (maybe 1.5 yrs) and I like my hair okay, I just feel like I'm having to work a little more than I'd like to when styling. I don't know if I consider it texlaxed or anything, but it could still be a little straighter w/o being bone straight, y'know??

ETA: I've also noticed that as my hair is getting healthier, the relaxer is taking longer to achieve the results I want :ohwell:

Anyways, my point is that I'm looking to do some research on other relaxers, and this question came up...

What is the deciding factor when you choose a new relaxer to try? What makes you pick one over the other, when you've never tried a brand before? I've been searching the boards for best/worst relaxer, etc., but you never really know if what someone else is using will work for you...so what do you think ladies??

Also, if you have left over a relaxer tub in your stash, do you just throw it out when you switch, or do you give it away/swap/sell it??

(If someone has already posted on this topic, please let me know. I couldn't think of a way to search for this question w/o getting other extraneous results. Thanks!)
TIA
The first thing I look for when I'm switching relaxers is the ingredients. I look for things that can help replenish my hair while relaxing. I use ORS olive oil and the fact that it says olive oil was what sold me. I agree with what you said just because a relaxer works for someone doesn't mean it will be beneficial to you. I found that out from phyto while there were many raves about this product it left my hair dry. When I have remaining relaxer and I know it will not be used I throw it away. No one I know relaxes their hair so giving it away is not an option.

Thanks alot for your feedback...:D

I've just always wondered what some women do when they used a relaxer like once, and it didn't work for them...y'know? Like you paid that $$ for it...to just throw it away :(...

I'm considering a switch to Mizani btw...

I usually have to check with people who have the same hair type as mine. I need to see what your results were before I can step in that direction.

Over the years I've switched many times and I was nervous about doing it but I never had a disaster.

I just switched Wednesday from Motions mild to ORS lye relaxer (normal). Many raved the no lye relaxer before, and others posted positive reviews about the lye verson recently. I tried other ORS products in the past and liked them, so I decided to make the switch.

I only have a little Motions relaxer left in a 15-oz jar, so I'll throw it out.

Back