Relaxer Review(Personal Experiences)

Aisha

I just relaxed today after having braids for 3 months, and having to dang near come my head bald to get the tangles out but my hair looks so good right now...I hate the fact that I can't find my camera bag to post these pics..I am definitely going to Best Buy after school tomorrow for a backup usb cable..Any way..the purpose of this thread is to relate my experience as a "tight" 4a/b hair texture and the types of relaxers..this may not apply to everyone but hopefully it will help someone:

No-Lye---NO WAY!...My first experience was with PCJ and I went from shoulder length hair to chickenhead in about 6 weeks..This types of relaxers left my hair very brittle and overprocessed.

Most Relaxers at Sallys--I have used Hawaiian Silky, TCB Bone Straight, Motions, Textures and Tone and Bantu...all of these were a waste of money because my hair was now underprocessed(when I used regular)so I would be relaxing my hair more frequently but the super strength would burn the dickens out of me so I was at a loss..so it was back to the hair salons on a regular for my relaxers..and I never had any problems..my hair wasn't broken or overprocessed but the salons were trippin about the price...I can't see spending $100 for a rollerwrap any day of the week..

Then I found the phytospecfic and this is an excellent relaxer no burns, no over/underprocessed and my hair was shining and soft..but then the price was jacked up to $60(SherryLove found it for cheaper) and I had to back away from that...

And after years of searching for a relaxer that will tame the beast and not leave my with scars(my scalp starts to tingle when it is relaxer time)....Mizani Sensitive Scalp is the cure! I paid thirteen dollars for a container and I was skeptical because I bought this last summer. But the last relaxer I had was at a salon and she used this formula and my hair really responded well...so I relaxed today(I must have shampooed for 30 minutes), deep conditioned w/ AO GPB followed w/Mizani's Moisturefuse, rollerset on magnetic rollers(using Motion's wrap lotion and Surge as a leave-in) and my hair came out perfect...I mean salon perfect,I am mad now because I have the whole affirm line but I don't think I want to use it again...I just wanted to share my experiences because my whole life my family has made me the butt of the jokes because my hair is "coarser" then the rest of them so everyone always had "jokes"....

Everyone raves about lye relaxers, and judging by many articles praising it, I can understand why. But, everytime I came across a lye relaxer, it burned the HELL out of my scalp.
shocked.gif

So, I stick to no-lye. The best no-lye BY FAR for me is BANTU. I was using it for YEARS since '97 with no problems (always had fairly thick hair which grew easily), but BANTU goes and change the dang on formula about 2-3 years ago, and I couldnt find the no-lye anywhere...only their lye version. I tried the lye version, and got the same result of my scalp being on FIRE.
whyme.gif

So, I had to unfortunately shy away from Bantu and I started using Motions (a big mistake, although I like their shampoos & conditioners) and others like Affirm, etc. Nothing has worked as good as Bantu, and my hair has been going down the drain because of it.

BUT, I recently found the no-lye version of Bantu again
dance7.gif
and used it on my last touch up. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

I'm never leaving Bantu again (as long as I keep finding the no-lye formula).
smile.gif
I love that it leaves my hair soft, manageable, but not BONE STRAIGHT and I don't have to relinquish my thickness.

My family thinks I'm crazy for using Lye relaxers too, but they are just better for my hair...my hair is looking healthier than it ever has and I'm retaining more growth. I use the Mizani too, but I don't know if it's the sensitive scalp, though.

Yeah, I like the way that the lye makes my hair look... iit's much softer, shiny and healthy. The lye doesn't burn me either...

I don't think so..I ddn't say no lye on the container, but I could be wrong...I says it has calcium hydroxide..

Back