Relaxer + oil = ?????

sweetpeadst

HOw many people are adding oils (ex. Olive oil) in their relaxer? Are there any Phyto girls doing this?? WHat benefits have you seen from this??

My stylist does this with affirm relaxer and uses a large sebus (sp) oil capsule that she cuts in half, pour it in and mixes the relaxer before applying.

I tried adding oils (jojoba, castor, avocado & vitamin E) and conditioner (VO5) to my texturizer the last time I did a retouch and I really like the results. I think it softens the texturizer/relaxer so it doesn't look so thick. It more like a whipped mixture and when applied to my new growth it makes it more manageable to comb after I apply the texturizer. It also cuts down the processing time of the texturizer therefore preventing overprocessed hair.

I like this idea of the oil, I'll try to remember this the next time. But I add in Porosity Control to mines, when I can remember.

I tried this on my last touch up in March using olive oil and I can say that after I rinsed out the relaxer my hair didn't feel dry like it normally would. It left my hair feeling moisturized and soft even before I washed.

I use Vitale Botanical oil in my Vitale relaxer...about 1 cup of oil per relaxer and my hair comes out so bouncy and very soft afterwards.

----------------------------------
Last relaxer tocuh-up: May 16th, 2005
Next relaxer touch-up: July 23rd, 2005
Current hair length: 1 1/2 inches past bra strap
Ultimate hair goal: 5 inches past bra strap by Dec. 2005
public.fotki.com/Diane71/ Pics coming in July!!!

Interesting concept...if I ever switched from Phyto...I would consider trying this.

Phyto doesn't leave my hair dry or without body, so I don't see the need to so far.

I read a book from a super beautician and she recommended adding EVOO to the perm as well as oiling your scalp and sitting under a dryer for 5 minutes prior to the touch up. SHe was not only a cosmetologist she was also a licensed trichmatologist(sp). SHe has a shop in mesquite,TX. Her book was awesome I need to re-read it.

gn1g said:
I read a book from a super beautician and she recommended adding EVOO to the perm as well as oiling your scalp and sitting under a dryer for 5 minutes prior to the touch up. SHe was not only a cosmetologist she was also a licensed trichmatologist(sp). SHe has a shop in mesquite,TX. Her book was awesome I need to re-read it.
Do you remember her name or the name of the book? Sounds like something I should read (and maybe give to my stylist as a "gift").

belladionne922 said:
Do you remember her name or the name of the book? Sounds like something I should read (and maybe give to my stylist as a "gift").

Healthy Hair Care Tips For Today's Black Woman
by Cheryl Talley Moss

IMO it's an excellent read, the best hair care book I've read but I hadn't read many.

Cheryl Talley Moss shares over twenty years of experience in the beauty industry and reveals hundreds of healthy hair care tips in this book. She is an award winning Beauty College Instructor and the owner of Hair Studio 2001 in Mesquite, Texas. She was a Manager of Education for Aladdin Beauty College, former Manager of Education of Rofflers Hair Design College, and served as president of the Big Town Mall Board of Trade. She is a frequent lecturer and beauty consultant.

Last edited:
gn1g said:
What was the name of the book? Sorry I did not read/see the other post :look:

Last edited:
CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I tried adding oils (jojoba, castor, avocado & vitamin E) and conditioner (VO5) to my texturizer the last time I did a retouch and I really like the results. I think it softens the texturizer/relaxer so it doesn't look so thick. It more like a whipped mixture and when applied to my new growth it makes it more manageable to comb after I apply the texturizer. It also cuts down the processing time of the texturizer therefore preventing overprocessed hair.

I will definitely be adding oil for my touch up...is there a certain amount you need to add? Do you have better results adding a conditioner and oil?

TIA

Diane71 said:
I use Vitale Botanical oil in my Vitale relaxer...about 1 cup of oil per relaxer and my hair comes out so bouncy and very soft afterwards.

----------------------------------
Last relaxer tocuh-up: May 16th, 2005
Next relaxer touch-up: July 23rd, 2005
Current hair length: 1 1/2 inches past bra strap
Ultimate hair goal: 5 inches past bra strap by Dec. 2005
public.fotki.com/Diane71/ Pics coming in July!!!

1 cup? that sounds like a lot... :confused: I plan to also do this the next time I relax and wanted to know how much evoo to use.

Ronda123 said:
I will definitely be adding oil for my touch up...is there a certain amount you need to add? Do you have better results adding a conditioner and oil?

TIA

Hey Ronda:wave:

I just added one tablespoon of each of the following oils mentioned above. I did have better results by adding the conditioner and oil because I move very slow when I am applying my texturizer especially if I have lots of new growth that is very unmanageable. So by doing this it makes the texturizer less harsh and it prevents my hair from being overprocessed and also experiencing scalp burns. I added a few pics in my album of my texturized hair after trying it out.

gn1g said:

I met a trich who did a scalp analysis on me about two months ago in Houston. She said I needed a scalp scrub like the one by ORS. I bought it and used it on a friend, she really needed it. My friend enjoyed it !!

Last edited:
I used EVOO in my lye relaxer and my hair felt moisturized after rinsing. I also added in some coconut oil recently, and it was like, OOOOOOh, your hair is so silky and soft! Next touchup in late July, I'll add a TBS of HE Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm to my already coconut oil mixed relaxer.

BC

I tried it with my last relaxer. I added a tsp of sweet almond oil and a tsp of avocado oil to just enough relaxer to do a touch up. It made the relaxer more moisturizing and it does make the relaxer seem more 'whipped' in texture than the usual creme. I don't think I got any burns either.

sweetpeadst said:
I might have to try this with my PHYTO!!!!! Since we are having complaints on the drying effects!1

We are???? LOL.

I'm always alone. Dat's aiiiight.....

*the problem free phytorelaxer chick stands alone*

MonaLisa said:
We are???? LOL.

I'm always alone. Dat's aiiiight.....

*the problem free phytorelaxer chick stands alone*

Ok MO WE are!!! What are yougoing to use?? I think I am going to use the Aphogee Fatty Acid oil!!!

sweetpeadst said:
Ok MO WE are!!! What are yougoing to use?? I think I am going to use the Aphogee Fatty Acid oil!!!

LOL...u misunderstood me sweet one....you'll be using the efa oil in your phyto...

I'll be using nothing...I don't have a problem with dryness with Phyto...I don't have any issues with Phyto period...that's why I was like what complaints is she talking about??? lol...

U do what's best for your head chica....if u think u need oil....add u some oil...

Mo's straight..;)

Thank you though...lol.:)

When I used to go to the Salons, Some of the girls would have their hair sprayed with Oil Sheen before a touch up! It is a good idea to use some type of moisturizer before a relaxer even if its 24 hrs prior, it'll still help!

azul11 said:
So is a tablespoon a good size amount for you to add? God bless you all.
This is what I am trying to find out. Someone mentioned 1 cup of evoo in one post and another said a tbsp? So as you, I am a little confused :confused: What is a good amount 1 cup or 1 tbsp??? That is the question.

MonaLisa said:
LOL...u misunderstood me sweet one....you'll be using the efa oil in your phyto...

I'll be using nothing...I don't have a problem with dryness with Phyto...I don't have any issues with Phyto period...that's why I was like what complaints is she talking about??? lol...

U do what's best for your head chica....if u think u need oil....add u some oil...

Mo's straight..;)

Thank you though...lol.:)

I like the results I get from Phyto!! I love my PHYTO!!! I was just concerned!!!

gn1g said:
Healthy Hair Care Tips For Today's Black Woman
by Cheryl Talley Moss

IMO it's an excellent read, the best hair care book I've read but I hadn't read many.

Cheryl Talley Moss shares over twenty years of experience in the beauty industry and reveals hundreds of healthy hair care tips in this book. She is an award winning Beauty College Instructor and the owner of Hair Studio 2001 in Mesquite, Texas. She was a Manager of Education for Aladdin Beauty College, former Manager of Education of Rofflers Hair Design College, and served as president of the Big Town Mall Board of Trade. She is a frequent lecturer and beauty consultant.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna have to pick this up.

So how much is a good amount to add to the relaxer??? I'm only using about a 1/4 cup of relaxer for spot correction. How much coconut oil should I add to that???

Last edited:
Back