Relaxer Issues: How long after a touchup are you experiencing "raised roots"?

cocoagirl

A lot of us are trying to stretch our relaxers to minimize chemical contact with our hair. I got a relaxer on 6/23 (2 weeks and 3 days ago)using Design Essentials. I washed and rollerset my hair 3 days ago and my roots aren't laying as flat as I think they should. To the touch the roots feel straight but looking at certain sections, what looks to be new growth has emerged. Is it really new growth or is it that the relaxer didn't take (as well as it could've), or is it b/c I used no-lye?
What has your experience been with supposed 'new roots' after just a couple weeks?

If underprocessed - after washing my hair that very next week
Touch-up accurately - at least 4-5 weeks

hmm, but she left it on for the correct amount of time and smoothed pretty good ( I think?) could it be the relaxer brand?

OMG! I got a perm 3wks ago and I have been taking hair, skin, and nail vitamins the day I got my perm and my roots are nappier than a sheep's arse!:lachen: My hair grows fast anyways but dang. I get a relaxer every 5weeks...at this rate. I don't know if I will make it to week 5.:wallbash:

hmm, but she left it on for the correct amount of time and smoothed pretty good ( I think?) could it be the relaxer brand?
maybe so
or you got some nice growth in two weeks
does your hair grow fast?
maybe a summer growth spurt.
are you using any growth aids?

Last edited:
If underprocessed - after washing my hair that very next week
Touch-up accurately - at least 4-5 weeks

I thought I was alone! No one else relaxes as much as I do and I get alot of disapproval for relaxing so often. But I have to my hair grows so fast. If I go any longer than that my hair will shed even more.

I thought I was alone! No one else relaxes as much as I do and I get alot of disapproval for relaxing so often. But I have to my hair grows so fast. If I go any longer than that my hair will shed even more.
how often do you relax
every 6-8 weeks or every 4-6 weeks

I can't answer, I used to have to touchup my relaxer every 4-5 weeks. By 6 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore.

So, perhaps your hair is going through a growth spurt.

I'm experiencing it right now, 2 weeks later after a bone straight touch-up, I now have raised roots. If this is from that Mega-Tek/Ovation, I'm ordering gallons next time.

I do use growth aids (MN), but I didn't resume using them until Monday, the day after I washed. ( i called myself preserving the relaxer and didnt want the roots to grow too quickly, it was already humid as hell in nyc). Since Monday I have used my MN mix everyday and will continue to do so. I think maybe next relaxer I will try a lye relaxer again (just not the elasta regular which didn't work for me) and see if I notice a difference, course that wont be till like October after hopefully, another 17 week stretcher!

how often do you relax
every 6-8 weeks or every 4-6 weeks

4-5 weeks. But like I said I have been taking these hair vitamins and I think my hair is growing even faster. I have 1/4 new growth already. no joke. And trust me my relaxer was bone straight. This isn't underprocessing.:wallbash: I guess I should be happy.

4-5 weeks. But like I said I have been taking these hair vitamins and I think my hair is growing even faster. I have 1/4 new growth already. no joke. And trust me my relaxer was bone straight. This isn't underprocessing.:wallbash: I guess I should be happy.
oh ok ur hair does grow really fast:grin:

I do use growth aids (MN), but I didn't resume using them until Monday, the day after I washed. ( i called myself preserving the relaxer and didnt want the roots to grow too quickly, it was already humid as hell in nyc). Since Monday I have used my MN mix everyday and will continue to do so. I think maybe next relaxer I will try a lye relaxer again (just not the elasta regular which didn't work for me) and see if I notice a difference, course that wont be till like October after hopefully, another 17 week stretcher!
oh ok
yea maybe its the mn thats making your hair grow fast like a weed. and this humidity doesn't help one bit

My hair shows new growth after 2 weeks. Honestly I like when I get the raised root because it looks more natural than something flat against your head. But thats just me and I have no problem with it.

Back