Relaxer help plz! I cannot get my hair straight for the life of me

I am a thick stranded 4b and my hair cannot get straight for nothing! I am always underprocessed! ALWAYS!
I've gone to several salons, I have tried to do it myself, I have tried different relaxers and it is always underprocessed. I have times the stylists and myself (when I self relax) and I always keep it on at least 33 min, even though the directions say not to. When I self relax I relaxer in 3 sections relaxer each section 1 at a time. I smooth and smooth to no avail. It always ends up wavy. I usually stretch for about 3 months at a time, perhaps I should change this, but my hair grows slow. I would only have about 2 in of new growth
I even switched to no-lye thinking it would produce straighter results

When I self relax I pre-part the hair in very small sections (about a 1/4 inch) and then 3 huge sections (2 in the front, 1 in the back). I put relaxer on both the top and underside. I use a lot of relaxer creme also. Then I smooth, smooth, smooth. Maybe I should use a rat tail comb? I try to keep it as long as possible, which is around 32-33 min (I use a stop watch) but it starts to burn

Here are the relaxers I have used, all in super:
Silk Elements
Mizani
Profectiv

This happened to my sister for years and years. She finally just went natural. Unfortunately her hair is so thick and resistant (she's 4a), that it doesn't flat iron well, either. She just gets a weave when she wants a straight look.

She used to leave the relaxer on for an amazingly long amount of time and still come out underprocessed. After I started "stretching" I have no longer been able to get my hair bone straight, either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

When I was relaxed my hair did not get bone straight by using the relaxer alone. I always used heat afterwards whether it be a flat wrap, roller set, or blow out. I have thick strands as well. If you try to break a strand it makes the most awesome popping sound like it will not go down without a fight! Although it may seem like a pain to you it's really a blessing. I loved how after using a heat source my hair would still be super thick and healthy looking. Better to have thick lush hair than anorexic looking strands.

When I was relaxed my hair did not get bone straight by using the relaxer alone. I always used heat afterwards whether it be a flat wrap, roller set, or blow out. I have thick strands as well. If you try to break a strand it makes the most awesome popping sound like it will not go down without a fight! Although it may seem like a pain to you it's really a blessing. I loved how after using a heat source my hair would still be super thick and healthy looking. Better to have thick lush hair than anorexic looking strands.

You know, this is probably true. When I started stretching, I also stopped using heat frequently. I think the combination of the two (relaxing +heat) is what kept my hair straight before.

This was part of my problems with relaxers. I'm 4b also and had to leave the relaxer on way longer than recommended and still came out underprocessed. You may just have to leave it on for the recommended time and do more heat styling or do more textured styles like braid/twist outs

Have u ever combed the ng with relaxer in iy. I know its a no no around here...but that was the only way i was getting straight hair. Smoothing with my finger was not working. I use silk elements too

Also...do u have product leftover from the week on ur ng?

sent from Droid incredible II

Make sure you use a clarifying shampoo 3 days before your relaxer. During those 3 days, go very light on applying any product. If possible, don't apply any product to your newgrowth.

I think product buildup is a factor in some ladies coming out under-processed.

Sent from my Comet

I second combing the roots with the relaxer in. Be careful because there's a greater chance of overlapping with this. You probably should detangle your roots thoroughly before doing this to cut back on snagged hair. Also I have heard that no-lye relaxers give your straighter results than lye relaxers. How much base are you using? Too much might retard the action of the relaxer.

I agree with combing your new growth while the relaxer is in it. My stylist would do this and my hair would get straight. I also agree with watching how much product you put on your new growth prior to relaxing (try to use as little as possible) and if you base your scalp, try not to get it on your new growth (some people suggest using an applicator bottle).

I hear people get straight results with ORS- I have no experience with this my hair is so fine Phyto 1 got it bone straight under the recommended processing time:ohwell:

No lye relaxers will normally give very straight results. They are not as bad as some folks say just ensure you relate regularly.

head on over to the relaxer thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=524429&highlight=relaxer+thread
If you used lye relaxers they tend to leave the hair with some texture.

The back of my hair has 50% shrinkage so I comb my ng on each parted section for my last go round. If I dont its as if I didnt do anything.
I will, thank you

This happened to my sister for years and years. She finally just went natural. Unfortunately her hair is so thick and resistant (she's 4a), that it doesn't flat iron well, either. She just gets a weave when she wants a straight look.

She used to leave the relaxer on for an amazingly long amount of time and still come out underprocessed. After I started "stretching" I have no longer been able to get my hair bone straight, either.

Aha, good to know I'm not alone!

You see, even if I rollerset it is still not straight! Sucks! Or I have to roll very very tightly
You know, this is probably true. When I started stretching, I also stopped using heat frequently. I think the combination of the two (relaxing +heat) is what kept my hair straight before.

Aha, I see.

This was part of my problems with relaxers. I'm 4b also and had to leave the relaxer on way longer than recommended and still came out underprocessed. You may just have to leave it on for the recommended time and do more heat styling or do more textured styles like braid/twist outs
I will think about the twist outs

Have u ever combed the ng with relaxer in iy. I know its a no no around here...but that was the only way i was getting straight hair. Smoothing with my finger was not working. I use silk elements too

Also...do u have product leftover from the week on ur ng?

sent from Droid incredible II
I just combed through the last section and that part came out better, thank you. It is just very difficult not to overlap because I can't see

Make sure you use a clarifying shampoo 3 days before your relaxer. During those 3 days, go very light on applying any product. If possible, don't apply any product to your newgrowth.

I think product buildup is a factor in some ladies coming out under-processed.

Sent from my Comet
Yes! I have done this also and it still does not work!

I second combing the roots with the relaxer in. Be careful because there's a greater chance of overlapping with this. You probably should detangle your roots thoroughly before doing this to cut back on snagged hair. Also I have heard that no-lye relaxers give your straighter results than lye relaxers. How much base are you using? Too much might retard the action of the relaxer.
See that's where the problem lies because I have to use a lot of base because my scalp burns easily. But then I have to leave the relaxer on very long or else it will not process. It's a catch 22

no-lye seems to get my hair the straightest
Yes I have switched to no-lye

I agree with combing your new growth while the relaxer is in it. My stylist would do this and my hair would get straight. I also agree with watching how much product you put on your new growth prior to relaxing (try to use as little as possible) and if you base your scalp, try not to get it on your new growth (some people suggest using an applicator bottle).

I hear people get straight results with ORS- I have no experience with this my hair is so fine Phyto 1 got it bone straight under the recommended processing time:ohwell:
I might try ORS if profectiv isn't working, but I have tried the lye version and you guessed it! Didn't work

No lye relaxers will normally give very straight results. They are not as bad as some folks say just ensure you relate regularly.
Yes I will try this

Back