Relaxer breakage

TRYING2GROW

A stylist told me that I have relaxer breakage. She did a treatment on my hair, it stopped some of the breakage, but not all of it. I have all lenghts of hair coming out. What can I do to stop it. Tia

I've had relaxer damage before and I had to have my hair cut; however, if you don't want to cut your hair I would say to PS (use styles which require very little manipulation) and try to keep your hair well balanced. Don't go protein crazy to try to stop the breakage. It could potentially cause more problems.

If you use any type of heat I would cut that out too. At least until you get your breakage under control.

I hope someone else chimes in. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Definitely apply protein and follow up with a good moisturizer. Immediately after a relaxer I apply garlic oil and Aloe to my scalp and a protein treatment to my hair. This has help my hair health tremendously!

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Do I need to do a protein and moist. conditioner every time that I wash my hair.

What worked for me (I have very fine hair) is doing a protein pre-poo overnight (not a popular choice but it works for me) when I woke up I would wash with a moisturizing shampoo and follow up with a moisturizing condish either conditioned with steam or a quickie moisturizing condish in the shower (depending on time) I would either rollerset or wet bun with a claw clip...

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Do I need to do a protein and moist. conditioner every time that I wash my hair.

I would say yes, until you have the breakage under control. I would start with off with a heavy tx like Aphogee 2 step, Nexxus Emergencie or Dudley'd DRC, then the following washes I would use something mild like aphogee 2 minute. Of course, following up with a moisturizing conditioner.

I would also recommend using some Roux Porosity control condtioner. I've had relaxer damage, and I found it made my hair overly porous.

When I had some relaxer damage I switshed to using Aveda's Damage Remedy system (Shampoo, condish, DC and daily leave in.) It was amazing, took all the guesswork out of moisture protein balance.

U

pdate. I put ors on my dry hair, and then shampoo. I put queen Helena's conditioner on, and sat under the dryer for about 20 min. I rinsed and put Roux on for about five minutes. Rinsed that out, and put lacio leave in in. Followed with Argan oil. Hardly no breakage. Thanks

I started doing that over the summer and it stopped my breakage completely.

I would definitely start using Roux porosity control. And stay away from the heat. No blowdrying, or flat ironing. Personally I even stopped DCing with heat; with the protein/moisture combo at each wash I didn't need it. These days I only steam every two weeks, and only for 15 minutes. If you can wash and then wet bun (fake the bun if you need to) for a month or two your hair will get stronger and break less.

Last edited:
Where do you get garlic oil. I read where it stops breakage somewhat. Maybe I am having relaxer breakage. I use phyto II which I love. But darn is it causing breakage?! I am blaming other products. :-(

Where do you get garlic oil. I read where it stops breakage somewhat. Maybe I am having relaxer breakage. I use phyto II which I love. But darn is it causing breakage?! I am blaming other products. :-(

I get my garlic oil from my local health food store (Henry's Market). I only put the garlic oil, mixed with Aloe Vera Gel, on my scalp to stop the shedding.

What you want to do, especially with Phyto, is 1) Use a chelating shampoo (I use Joico) and 2) use a LOT of products with ceramides (I use Wheat Germ Oil and CeraRepair Hydratherapie).

HTH.

Back