Relaxer Application: Vertical or Horizontal parts?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I always parted each section horizontally to apply the relaxer. Someone else (not on the forum) said parting each section vertically is quicker. Now I'm starting to wonder.

Which way is easier/quicker for you?

Hmmmmm vertical? Never even thought about it. I do it horozontally.

If you try it, report back. I may try this next time.

Actually, now that I think of it, LondonDiva does hers in 3 sections...so at some point one of the parts is vertical. Can't remember, gotta look back into her fotki. I do remember that her results are nice and thick.

I part vertically for the most part. It allows me to get my hair to process fully with no frizz, but maintain more of the curl/wave pattern at the same time. It's like the newgrowth is being stretched instead of flattened, if that makes sense.

I divide my hair into five sections. 2 sections in the back, 1 on the front left, 1 on the front right, and then the front middle. The front middle is the only section that I part horizontally.

ETA: Parting vertically also keeps the hair out of the way. I don't have to worry about strands of hair accidentally falling into relaxer.

Last edited:
I do both. I part my hair in four sections and the front sections I apply my relaxer vertically and in the back sections, I apply it horizontally. I do not know why I do it that way but it works for me.

I part my hair in half (horizontally from ear-to-ear) then part each section in half (vertically) and start in the middle of my head making a "T" across and down.

I part vertically for the most part. It allows me to get my hair to process fully with no frizz, but maintain more of the curl/wave pattern at the same time. It's like the newgrowth is being stretched instead of flattened, if that makes sense.

I divide my hair into five sections. 2 sections in the back, 1 on the front left, 1 on the front right, and then the front middle. The front middle is the only section that I part horizontally.

ETA: Parting vertically also keeps the hair out of the way. I don't have to worry about strands of hair accidentally falling into relaxer.
My last relaxer (3/1) was almost a disaster in part because my hair near the crown kept touching the relaxer at the back. To make matters worse, I skipped the step of coating my previously relaxed hair with conditioner -- laziness/tiredness. :whyme:

I must have added too much oil to the relaxer because my hair was very under processed in some sections. (Maybe that's what saved me from severe breakage.)

--

Vertical parts might be a better way for me, and then I might have more time for smoothing sections. I think I waste too much time applying it horizontally, especially in the back sections from crown to nape.

I'll practice vertical parts in each section with conditioner to test my comfort level before relaxing again in May.

Thanks for your input ladies! :)

Last edited:
Back