Relaxed to Natural to Relaxed

MissMasala5

For those who have gone this path, for how long did you stay natural? What factors played into your decision to relax again? TIA!

I have.

I was natural for 4 years. For three years i would alternate between pressing and box braids. Then i came to the forum and started wearing twistouts and conrowing my own hair with a puff on top (which was really cute). With the twistouts I had to do them everyday, and it would take me an hour to do each night and some days it wouldnt even come out good:ohwell:

And I'd always have to find someone to braid my hair. And when it wasn't braided it would be in a scarf or hat, not a good look.

I planned on starting grad school in the fall and I knew I wouldnt have the time to be fussing with my hair so i relaxed.

i don't regret relaxing it, I just regret using certain relaxers and going to certain stylists.

I still like natural hair and I see a lot of beautiful natural heads on the board but at this point, i wouldnt transition again.

Last edited:
The first time I went natural I stayed so for only for about 3 months. Texturized after I was unsuccessful in getting an internship which I kinda believe was due to my short afro. As soon as I texturized I got a job. Didn't take care of texturizer well enough because hair started showing signs of damage, so relaxed again.

Second time around - went back natural after deciding to give it another try. i loved the freeness attached with being natural, not having to worry about my hair growing out or having to go to the hairdresser. not to mention saving moolah since i was in college. went back natural, rocked it for about a year and a half. Texturized again out of boredom with hair styles. mind you I never really experiemented, lol. never got twists or tried pressing or anything. Anyway...just relaxed again in January for another change and to challenge myself to see if I could take care of it relaxed, but plan is to eventually go back natural and grow it to its fullest potential. :spinning:

sorry know this was long...:perplexed

I was natural for 5.5 years. It came to a point where it just got too long, and to knotty for me to handle in it's natural state. It was a matter of convenience for me, I guess. No regrets though. I've found a happy medium. :yawn:

I went w/o chemical for 9 mos. I transitioned for 5 mos and BC'd..stayed natural for 4 mos. My dilemna was wanting to wear my hair straightened, but wanting to workout. And of course pressed hair and sweat don't mix. I am thinking of growing my hair out to my goal length APL, and then transitioning w/o a BC. That way I can get it pressed, but put it in a ponytail for workouts and not lose the straightness...I did however find my natural hair to be a lot of work b/c I had to style it. or wet it, or something everyday...i don't spend as much time on my hair once its styled, now that I am relaxed. I don't regret relaxing...I'm having fun growing my hair out now that I know all these healthy tips from LHCF!

Back