Relaxed my hair - need help with regime

MsK

I relaxed my hair (after being natural since July 2000) at JC Penny with Affirm lye last night. It was 7+ inches (scalp to ends) but thin at the ends so after my trim I now have about 5-6 inches all over (layers).

My goal is to have at least 7 inches of healthy hair at the end of the year, and 11 inches by Dec 2004.

Products:
Shampoos: Keracare 1st lather (clarifying)
Creme of nature or Keracare moisturizing shampoo

Conditioners: Keracare Humecto
Keracare 5 in 1 reconstructor

Maintenance: Elasta QP Glaze
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Keracare wrap foam (for roller sets)
Keracare silken seal (put on hair before rollerset)

Wash hair every 3 to 4 days. Use clarifying shampoo and protein conditioner once a week. Roller set hair.

What I need help with is how to take care of the hair between washings. I have not used any of the Elasta QP products mentioned - will get them later today (picked those from reading other posts).

So those who rollerset, how do you take care of the hair after the first day? Will see if I can use gel to get a decent looking phonytail - if not any other style ideas? How do you maintain phonytail or other style between washings?

Thanks in advance for all your help - really want to keep my relaxed hair healthy and grow it.

Hi MsK,

Welcome to the board.
smile.gif
Your product list looks great. I was wondering, do you use a clarifying shampoo with every wash? I noticed you had one listed for your first lather with each wash.

Washing and doing a moisturizing deep conditioner every 3-4 days is an excellent idea, and will help to keep your hair in great shape. As for the protein conditioner, you should do that only once every 4-6 weeks. Excess protein will dry out your hair and cause breakage. You should use the protein conditioner for regular maintenance and for the times you are experiencing breakage. So use the Keracare Humecto for your deep conditioning, and use the reconstructor every 4-6 weeks or once a month.
smile.gif

Most of the ladies who rollerset wrap their hair at night. Also, for moisturizing and ponytails, s-curl is a very popular product.

The key to maintaining relaxed hair is moisture. Everyday you should moisturize your hair with a product that works well for you, and isn't too greasy. Elasta QP Mango butter is liked by a lot of our members. I have just recently tried Profectiv Break Free and like it a lot. I also use good old water to mist my hair when it feels dry.

With proper care, I'm sure you'll easily reach your goals.
wave.gif

I think Pebbles told you everything you need to know right now. I agree that a clarifying shampoo once a week is a little much because they strip your hair and that's definitely not needed once a week. I also agree that Protein should only be used once a month, or when breakage occurs. By the way, congratulations on the new do.

Back