Relaxed Ladies who Henna - When is best to do it?

JDandBeyond

Hey ladies:

I just received my first henna order and I am excited to use it, but after thinking about all the manipulation involved (applying like a relaxer) I was wondering if there is a best time to use henna. I am 6 weeks post with a decent degree of new growth (enough to make me wanna leave the ng alone).

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks.

I don't apply it like a relaxer. More like a conditioner.

I just put my gloves on and pile it on in no particular way, just avoiding tangling my hair.

I normally do mine 2 weeks before and/or after a relaxer. I like the protection before touchups but sometimes, after a touchup I want the henna to give me more body.

If I have too much NG I don't bother though.

I find it's easier to do it after a relaxer. Like two weeks after. I do a protien treatment first and wait a day or tow and wash and apply it to wetr hair. When I do it later, it's harder to get it to the new growth and the henna doesn't go as far as it could on semi-fresh relaxed hair.
HTH and HHG!

I used it twice once with JAMILLA,once with (cant remember the other kind ,but it made my hair feel like plastic/straws/god nose wha else.
i actually have dread locks it took me about 2 days to untangle, my hair i have a lot to learn about henna or never do it again.

Last edited:
Hi JD&B

When I first used mine, it was back in October and I was six weeks post (pix in avatar is the result)

I just saw the thread with where you posted your results and recipe....WOW. If it can do that then I am ON BOARD! The shine, the thickness...all great! I am going to relax this weekend (my first self-relax...wish me luck) and was thinking of doing the henna a couple weeks after that. I'm really excited. I'm going to use lavender's recipe as well. Looks good and not too drying.

Back