Relaxed ladies that use heat

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Does anyone relax and use heat? have you retained length? i feel like i do more manipulation and damage with a wet set vs w/ heat.

that is exactly why I get rollersets at the salon but use heart at home when I do my hair myself; I've had such horrendous experiences otherwise.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using SPH-M820-BST

that is exactly why I get rollersets at the salon but use heart at home when I do my hair myself; I've had such horrendous experiences otherwise.

i wonder if i should go straighter next touchup if i want to be heat free. my wet texlaxed hair doesnt seem to get very smooth easily:nono:

i wonder if i should go straighter next touchup if i want to be heat free. my wet texlaxed hair doesnt seem to get very smooth easily:nono:

That is exactly what I was thinking! I don't relax bone straight but I think I will next go round so I can stop with the need for heat. Although I don't use it as often, I really need to because if I don't, I get fuzzy :-/.
I hate the fuzzy look. And it doesn't help that I go to the dominican salon every month. I want to rollerset so bad but I get breakage when I manipulate wet hair. But the stylists seem to glide right through. Ugh idk what to do

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

And yes I am retaining. I only get breakage when I try new techniques and do them wrong lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I use heat 2-4 times a month. It's always an air dry then flat iron. I've retained length fine w/ other healthy hair practices.

I use heat 2-4 times a month. It's always an air dry then flat iron. I've retained length fine w/ other healthy hair practices.

Poranges, same here. I do not use direct heat often, but when I do, I air dry before and then flat iron after. I figure if I'm going to be applying heat to my hair, I might as well only use it once and cut out the blowdryer.

I'm relaxed bone straight and have found no need for my flat iron as of late. My hair dries very straight and smooth. Now my flat ironed hair looks too....... flat:ohwell:

I'm relaxed bone straight so I don't need to use heat at all. My hair actually looks fuller now than when I would straighten as a natural. I use Phyto 1

Relaxed and use heat but only on low, if I use a blow dryer it is set on cool. If I use a flat iron it is on the second lowest temperature 265 for mine. Will not use heat more than once a week if any at all. I always prepoo w/oil and DC w/steam before any heating element hits my hair. If I don't use heat my hair looks really full and is thick.

Wet sets work best for me. I do blow dry and flat iron, but I feel like it takes my hair time to recover from dryness when I do so. With a set, it's like my leave-ins penetrate as my hair dries, leaving it soft and moisturized. I'm under the dryer now! I still have not mastered air-drying with the exception of braidouts.

I prefer to rollerset and then flat iron or skip the direct heat altogether.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

After some thought i might try ponytail rollersetting instead of blowdrying and lightly flat ironing the root and see how that works out

When I was relaxed, heat worked wonders for my hair. Of course, I used the lowest settings, but my hair thrived with it. I am a bit frustrated as a natural because my hair does not straiten easily. I have to use blow dryer and flat iron on high heat and then it reverts as quick as I do it.:nono:

I'm relaxed, but not bone straight. I do use heat almost every day, but it's on a very low setting. I've been retaining length. But now that I have some hair to play with, I don't know what to do with it. :nono:

I use heat in moderation. For example when I want to flow dry/flat iron the roots. Since I'm not bone straight, I try to avoid working against my hair by applying heat to the entire length to get a straighter result. Whenever I do flat iron, I make sure it's only once per washing.

Im with you OP. The breakage I get with flatironed hair is very minimal compared to my breakage with airdried hair. Its just the process of getting the hair straight I am worried about. =/

I Airdry about 90% and then use my hair dryer with no attachment to dry the roots before I flat Iron. I do not wet set at all. every rollerset Ive done looks good until I try and wrap it, lol. If I do Braid Outs or Bantu Knot Sets, I still let my hair dry almost totally then add product and set.

I am also in the group that only flat irons at least 1 - 2 times a month, lately I have been able to retain, Im pretty much at BSL right now!

this is exactly what I'm going to do THIS weekend. go straighter. I want to air dry with that textured hang. my hair is so barely relaxed that I get as much shrinkage as I did during my 2 year transistion (with 2 inch relaxed ends left). I will never be bone straight again but I think I need to at least be at the half mark btwn bone straight and natural texture. now, I'm at 85% in some areas and 95% in others.

I use heat just about every wash. My ends aren't relaxed 100% straight so they end to tangle when air dried. I retain my length just fine. Here's a comparison. I've not had a trim since before these pictures. My hair is cut in layers.
4monthcomparison-vi.jpg

I use heat just about every wash. My ends aren't relaxed 100% straight so they end to tangle when air dried. I retain my length just fine. Here's a comparison. I've not had a trim since before these pictures. My hair is cut in layers.
4monthcomparison-vi.jpg

@your cheaziness, your hair looks lovely. So just how often is every wash?

I rollerset and dry with a hooded dryer when I opt for heat. The purchasing of bone combs has been a tremendous help w/r/t manipulation. I'm 11 weeks post and I'm detangling with ease which makes for an easy prep for rollersetting. I give thumbs up to my bone combs. Prior to purchasing those combs, I'd be struggling something serious to detangle, thus doing more harm than good.

OP, perhaps changing up of product, combs and method my help with wet setting.

I rollerset and dry with a hooded dryer when I opt for heat. The purchasing of bone combs has been a tremendous help w/r/t manipulation. I'm 11 weeks post and I'm detangling with ease which makes for an easy prep for rollersetting. I give thumbs up to my bone combs. Prior to purchasing those combs, I'd be struggling something serious to detangle, thus doing more harm than good.

OP, perhaps changing up of product, combs and method my help with wet setting.

divachyk i am defintely looking into gettin a seamless comb for setting my hair:yep: i loved using my good ol faithful finetoothed comb but i can see quickly that it doesnt mesh well with my relaxed hair.:nono: also i got a new thicker creamier leave in conditioner which helped with getting the rollers smooth.lacio lacio was doing NOTHING to smooth out my hair. i set 1/3 of my head before i gave up this time:lol: i just decided to do a braid out.

my rollerset plan of attack for next time will be

Seamless ratail comb
snag free ponytail holders
extra long rollers or mesh rollers(if i can find them)

it seems like i need new rollers because i could feel my hair snagging on the rollers i have:nono:

Seems like relaxed heads can safely use one form of heat with the proper precautions but using multiple forms can be a recipe for damage (ex. blowdrying & flat ironing).

I've been tension blow drying once a week for the past couple months. I make sure to wash with a good conditioner and use Rusk Smoother (awesome liquid leave-in) underneath my heat protectant (Chi Silk Infusion). I only use the warm setting and alternate with the cool shot. My results are shiny and silky. Since blow drying does reduce moisture levels in the hair, I'll set my hair that night with a creamy leave-in from root to tip and my morning results are great.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I t-shirt dry to about 70% before I start blow drying.

Last edited:
Back