relaxed heat users

How do you straighten your hair and how often?

• blow dry and flat iron once a week

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • blow dry and flat iron twice or more a week

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • blow dry and flat iron every other week

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • air dry and flat iron once a week

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • air dry and flat iron twice or more a week

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • air dry and flat iron every other week

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • blow dry only once a week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • blow dry only twice or more a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • blow dry only every other week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other method (please share)

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tafa01

I love to wear my hair super straight. I don't ming getting to goal quickly, as long as I can enjoy wearing my hair straight in between. I tried rollersetting, many times, and I really really don't like it. My hair breaks when manipulated while wet.
I would like to know what is your heat regimen please? right now I wash and DC twice a week...once I blow dry and flat iron, the other time I air dry then do braid out. I would like to flat iron twice. I always use heat protectant and I have ceramic tools. What do you think. Would that be too much? I am ready to do more frequent trims, that's not a problem.

thanks for your input!

I usually do rollers and blow out the roots and do a doobie once a week. I dont recommend you flat iron 2x's a week IMHO is too much heat..The way your doing it now is just fine.

Make sure you DC after every wash. and use plenty of heat protectant.

maybe i need some other rollers...the magnetic rollers are driving me nuts. I almost threw them away last time!

maybe i need some other rollers...the magnetic rollers are driving me nuts. I almost threw them away last time!

Practice is all you need...make sure u get good metallic clips to hold them and a hair net...Dont forget to check out healthy ways to flat iron..tutorials

a hair net!!! oh yeah I forgot that. The rollers kept falling while I try to put the bonnet dryer on.

My hair hates rollersetting after 4 weeks as well. I like the straight flowy hair look too, but i wouldn't increase my heat usage to more than once a week. I blow dry (airdry about 80% first) and flat iron once a week and ive been able to retain more thickness and length this way than with any other method.

As long as you deep condition and use heat protectants you should be okay.

I usually do rollers and blow out the roots and do a doobie once a week. I dont recommend you flat iron 2x's a week IMHO is too much heat..The way your doing it now is just fine.

Make sure you DC after every wash. and use plenty of heat protectant.

Your hair is gorgeous!!! :shocked: :love5:

You said your hair breaks a lot while wet? Do you use any protein in your regimen. Perhaps if you add protein to your regimen, you can strengthen your strands and therefore your hair will be able to withstand rollersets. I don't use any direct heat at all and I certainly wouldn't recommend heat twice a week.

i roller set my hair and then after it's dry, i wrap it and either sit under the dryer with saran wrap for 7-10 minutes OR i just go to bed with my hair in a wrap and it's usually straight enough in the morning i use the big blue rollers....

i only flat iron my roots like, 8 weeks after my relaxer, when you can see my NG.

It depends on how your hair reacts to heat. When I was going to the salon every 2 weeks, My hairdresser would wrap my hair and i would sit under the dryer and then she would flat iron (with an oil protectant of course) and I would maybe have to bump with a flatiron 1 or 2 areas after about a week. (not my whole head) and my hair was never dry and I didnt have split ends.

You should try the heat for a week or so and see how your hair reacts. If you start to see breakage or split ends, and or experience dryness, etc. You will need to make some changes.

GL

I said other because it really depends on my mood and the weather. Sometimes I co-wash a few times a week and skip heat all together no blow drying and no flat iron.

Other times I will lightly blow dry my hair, meaning blow on a low cool setting with a wide tooth comb only after my hair has air dryed about 75% of the way.

When I want straight hair, I roller set and then blow the roots, once. Maintain it by wrapping at night, during the week I never use a flat iron. If it's puffy I just wear it up instead.

i try to stay away from direct heat as much as possible.. in a 2 and a half month period i flat iron twice.. i (mini) stretch my relaxers between 8-10 weeks so i flat iron when i relax and then once more about halfway through my stretch.. i really only flat iron to check my length and make sure i havent lost any progress.. and to let DH see my hair from time to time.. but when i do flat iron, i airdry about 70-80% first and use a thermal heat protectant first. blow dry and flat iron.

i will admit though, sadly my hair is the strongest when its straightened.. i will see more breakage in its shrunken-curly-wash and go state. so i may up the straightening to every 2 weeks for that reason only. as long as i dont use any cream based products, its stays bone straight for at least a week.

but my hair hearts creams... sigh...

I think I'm the only person who voted twice a week. I DC with a light protein/moisture balanced conditioner each time under hood dryer, use heat protectant and actually I use a curling iron to straighten my hair because flat irons dry it out (might be my flat iron is not that good, dunno). I have not had problems, in fact I've seen the condition or my hair improve over time because of the DC and protein in my regimen. I also found roller setting to be too much manipulation.

I roller-set and saran wrap once or twice a week. I straighten my roots, if needed, with a flat iron.

Maybe once a month I blowdry and flat iron, but I am committed to not doing so until I reach my next goal (APL). I had briefly gotten tired of roller-setting and tried flat-ironing once or twice a week. I immediately saw a decline in the health of my hair so I personally wouldn't suggest that. I would try changing up the products you use for roller-setting and looking at some vids on youtube to improve your methods. If you must flat-iron often, try doing so every week to a week and a half and increase your protein usage. Good luck.

I *think* I may start using direct heat 1/week since I have layers - my hair looks much better when styled with a flat-iron/ curling iron. When it was 1-1.5 inches long it looked sleek but still had defined layers since it was in a pixie cut. But now that's it grown in some the layers look much better if they are curled.

I had to vote other b/c I wash, braid and airdry overnight and then flatiron. I do this only once a month. I will then go 2 weeks and not wash, moisturise the ends and wrap or rollerset on flexirods.

I alternate this regimen with washing and airdrying and doing braidouts. for the remainder of the month.
I like straight style s but I only use heat once or twice a month. I am 5months post and so I will hit the roots maybe 2-3x a month now.

Personally I would say wrap your hair and hit the roots with the iron only; and onlyt after your at least 6 weeks post. Not to sound too preachy but part of the hair growing journey is to learn to love your hair in all it's forms.

I don't think I'll be using direct heat more than once a month but that's only because after being natural so long it won't bother me not to be bone straight.

I voted airdry/flat iron once a week, because that was the best option, but I really wash every 5 days and airdry/flat iron. I deep condition every single time, use ceramic tools and of course heat protectant. I do one pass with my FI.

I have tried so many different things since I have been here with barely any progress to show. I'm going back old school, when I washed weekly, used heat, and my hair grew. I have been doing this for about a month and no problems to report. I think you should monitor and see how it works for you. Blow drying goes not work for me, so I just air dry using the scarf method. Also my hair hates to be roller set, and will proceed to shed and break all over the place.

My hair is very coarse and actually does well with heat. I feel like heat gets such a bad rap on hair boards. If you are going to use heat, do so wisely. I don't think heat is a problem on hair that is clean and well conditioned. Also I use heat on wash day only, no touching up my hair with a bump here or there.

Jcdlox- your hair looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar. What is the moisture/protein balance conditioner that you use?

I recently started washing(DC), blow dry and flat iron every two weeks because I wear protective styles most of the time. At first I was using wet wrap but I don't have a good bonnet dryer or wet wrapping skills so my hair never looked right when I unwrap it. I agree with testing to see if your hair likes it and I would only use heat once a week.

You said your hair breaks a lot while wet? Do you use any protein in your regimen. Perhaps if you add protein to your regimen, you can strengthen your strands and therefore your hair will be able to withstand rollersets. I don't use any direct heat at all and I certainly wouldn't recommend heat twice a week.

Yes I use protein. I don't have much breakage normally...Only when I try to manipulate my wet hair.

I had to vote other b/c I wash, braid and airdry overnight and then flatiron. I do this only once a month. I will then go 2 weeks and not wash, moisturise the ends and wrap or rollerset on flexirods.

I alternate this regimen with washing and airdrying and doing braidouts. for the remainder of the month.
I like straight style s but I only use heat once or twice a month. I am 5months post and so I will hit the roots maybe 2-3x a month now.

Personally I would say wrap your hair and hit the roots with the iron only; and onlyt after your at least 6 weeks post. Not to sound too preachy but part of the hair growing journey is to learn to love your hair in all it's forms.
:perplexed
then why do you relax, do braidouts, use flexirods, etc? probably because you like those styles. Does not mean you don't love you hair.

Just because I prefer straight over braidouts at this moment doesn't mean I love my hair less

I voted airdry/flat iron once a week, because that was the best option, but I really wash every 5 days and airdry/flat iron. I deep condition every single time, use ceramic tools and of course heat protectant. I do one pass with my FI.

I have tried so many different things since I have been here with barely any progress to show. I'm going back old school, when I washed weekly, used heat, and my hair grew. I have been doing this for about a month and no problems to report. I think you should monitor and see how it works for you. Blow drying goes not work for me, so I just air dry using the scarf method. Also my hair hates to be roller set, and will proceed to shed and break all over the place.

My hair is very coarse and actually does well with heat. I feel like heat gets such a bad rap on hair boards. If you are going to use heat, do so wisely. I don't think heat is a problem on hair that is clean and well conditioned. Also I use heat on wash day only, no touching up my hair with a bump here or there.

Jcdlox- your hair looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar. What is the moisture/protein balance conditioner that you use?

True..............

thank you SelfStyled! I use Mizani Fulfyl each time I shampoo which is 2x each week. I leave it on with a plastic cap under the dryer for 15-20 minutes. I also use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor for the last wash before my relaxer and the first wash after. I think the protein is the key for my hair. Like you I only use heat when I wash/DC and wrap nightly to avoid bumping daily (a bad habit I'm glad I was able to break).

I blowdry/flat iron 1x per week and maintain with pincurls (which I'm soo happy I learned how to do). Rollersetting :wallbash: just still takes me too long to do and I'm not wowed by the results. But the BKT has allowed me to retain my growth. My hair likes being straight as well.

Back