Relaxed Heads who Swim

growbaby

I searched & I didn't find a thread exactly asking this question. But if there is 1 already please direct me to it. How long do u wait after getting a relaxer to swim? is there a difference between chlorine & salt water? I love to swim but I care more about my tresses, & I relaxed yesterday. Help?

I am relaxed and love to swim as well. Nothing drastic has happened to my hair after swimming (beach or pool). Plenty of times I went swimming a week after a relaxer. :blush:

pre_medicalrulz said:
I am relaxed and love to swim as well. Nothing drastic has happened to my hair after swimming (beach or pool). Plenty of times I went swimming a week after a relaxer. :blush:

Lol thanx.. I was planning on a week but I just didnt know.

I just started taking swim lessons in a non-chlorine pool and it lasts 20 weeks. I'm one week post relaxer. I don't know how to swim at all - not even float - so this is a big deal for me. Naturally, I'm concerned about my hair and found this link on the web.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/07/how-to-protect-your-hair-while-swimming.html

I tried what the writer suggested and wet my hair first and loaded it up with a serum (Garnier Fructis). For extra protection, I massaged in a little of the Garnier Fructis creamy leave in. I didn't spend a lot of money on these products because I will have to use them every week as a pre-treatment. Ater my lesson, I could still feel and smell the products in my hair, so I think they worked (in terms of protecting my strands). When I got home, I rinsed my hair really well then followed up with my Ovataions shampoo (the bottle says it removes chlorine and minerals) and now I'm DCing under the dryer. My hair feels like it normally does, which is a good sign.

How often do you swim? What is your reggie afterwards?

I'm glad to hear from someone who still has had consistent growth, health in spite of swimming. :yep:

Im an avid swimmer too, and I used to swim for my school. I usually waited about 2 weeks or so after a relaxer to swim. When I lived in Virginia, the only difference I've noticed between salt water and chlorine water is that salt water dries your hair out more, and actually gave me temporary highlights (they lasted about a week) they also made my hair "beachy" which is a look that some people go for. :look:

I always put some kind of moisturizing sunscreen in my hair before I go to the pool, but never too much. I dont particularily think putting a ton of hair products in the community pool because I'm afraid of damage is very considerate.

EDIT: Also, more pools have been replacing the standard chlorine solution with some kind of salt-based cleaner. The YMCAs in my area have. Apparently its some kind of health concern thing, but the new salt cleaner doesnt have as strong of an effect as ocean water...

Last edited:
Thank u so much for the input ladies.

So for the month of June I've been wetting and conditioning my hair prior to swimming, rinsing at the pool showers before I leave then cowash n DC (minimum of 4hrs) when I get home. I haven't seen the need to shampoo b/c I feel I get the chlorine our with my post swim rinse, cowash n DC and I don't soak up as much chlorine in the 1st place do to my pre-swim methods. I have up'd my clarifying from 1x a month to every 2 weeks (followed by a moisturizing shampoo) to combat the no washing. My hair seems fine so far, great even, it's growing and the extra DC are actually helping IMO.

Back