RELAXED: heads who blow out their roots????

Missi

Do you find it necesary to blow out ur roots/new growth before you flat iron to always get that relaxed look. If so, do you use heat protectants. If yes or no, how do you blow your roots out? W/ the comb attachment or your own comb. Which blow dryer? Do you still obtain length w/o trouble like dryness? Any other helpful info that I forgot to ask, leave it all in ur reply. I will read everyone reply first word to last. Thanks Ladies

No. I hardly ever use my blow-dryer anymore. I usually let my hair air dry overnight and then I flat-iron the next day. I do use a heat protectant when flat-ironing.

ariesgirl said:
No. I hardly ever use my blow-dryer anymore. I usually let my hair air dry overnight and then I flat-iron the next day. I do use a heat protectant when flat-ironing.

DO you apply leave ins?

Bum Bum BUMP!!

Hey WGW,
I just started blowing out my roots (with a seamless wide tooth comb & jilbere blow dryer) & rarely need to flat iron afterwards unless I want pin-straight hair! I alternate between using the CHI 44 Iron Guard and NEXXUS Heat Protexx, Love both of them! They leave my hair soft, smooth & shiny. I was so worried about breaking and drying but I have found that if I air dry about 80% with any leave-in (I happen to use lacio lacio or NTM) & proclaim natural 7 oil or coconut oil, then blow dry the roots, I get nearly zero breakage:D The results are better than air drying alone cause I can comb through my hair afterwards with no tangles, just straight, smooth, super moisturized hair! Air drying alone leaves me with some tangles, not so straight hair and I seem to shed when I comb. I use mostly cool air because of the rules of bootcamp (no heat), but I hit it with a little heat near the end:sekret: Gotta do what's best for my hair and blow drying the roots is the path of the least damage and breakage:ohwell: Sooo what are you using and how is it working for you? I can't wait to see other responses.
HHG!;)

Last edited:
To get the sleek straight look, I blow dry w/ a round brush. I have a regular conair with high, low, and cool settings. I always use the low setting. Then I'll go over it w/ my flat iron. I use heat protectant before I blow dry and then a little before I flat iron. The flat iron I use is a conair ceramic infiniti.

Latley, I been trying to cut back on the heat, so now I roller set, then flat iron the roots.

WillyGWifey said:
DO you apply leave ins?

Bum Bum BUMP!!

I pull my wet hair back into a low hanging bun or pony tail. Then, I tie my hair down with a silk scarf while it dries making sure that no hair is hanging out of the scarf. This actually helps keep my hair under control (and straightens it some too) while it is air drying.

After I flat-iron, I apply a moisturizer (usually Elasta QP Mango Butter). Occasionally, if my hair appears really dry, I will apply a very small amount of Nexxus Humectress to my ends as a leave-in. Finally, I apply a sealant like WGO.

Andreainnis said:
Hey WGW,
I just started blowing out my roots (with a seamless wide tooth comb & jilbere blow dryer) & rarely need to flat iron afterwards unless I want pin-straight hair! I alternate between using the CHI 44 Iron Guard and NEXXUS Heat Protexx, Love both of them! They leave my hair soft, smooth & shiny. I was so worried about breaking and drying but I have found that if I air dry about 80% with any leave-in (I happen to use lacio lacio or NTM) & proclaim natural 7 oil or coconut oil, then blow dry the roots, I get nearly zero breakage:D The results are better than air drying alone cause I can comb through my hair afterwards with no tangles, just straight, smooth, super moisturized hair! Air drying alone leaves me with some tangles, not so straight hair and I seem to shed when I comb. I use mostly cool air because of the rules of bootcamp (no heat), but I hit it with a little heat near the end:sekret: Gotta do what's best for my hair and blow drying the roots is the path of the least damage and breakage:ohwell: Sooo what are you using and how is it working for you? I can't wait to see other responses.
HHG!;)

Wow, thats pretty neat, and ur not cheating either w/ the NO HEAT. I feel the same way when I air dry especially w/ new growth...i gotta try this. I knew something has to get my new growth and I took notice of ppl who said they blow out their roots. thank you for sharing this w/ me: i guess this is gonna be my new thing to keeping my hair well maintained.

Last edited:
Andreainnis when blowing out ur roots: do you part your hair and blow ur roots or how do you do it?

I hardly ever use a hand held blow dryer any more but I used to blow dry with a brush, not a round one like Mars, but just a regular bristle brush and it would give me nice soft and straigh roots. Now I just roller set and flat iron the roots if I feel that they are too puffy.

I blow out my roots before I flat iron b/c it's gives a smoother look, plus it stays straight longer. Before doing this I deep condition my hair, rinse, and let air dry. When it's about 50% dry, I add a moisturizer ( Fantasia IC Shea Butter) and seal with a anti-serum cone (Fantasia). once it's about 90% dry, I take small sections and blow out the roots w/ a round brush, by the time I do this w/ my whole head my hair is completely dry. This is when I add the heat protectant (one again Fantasia) and flat iron my hair in small sections. By the way I only do this about once every 2 weeks, and I make sure to deep condition before ALWAYS and keep the hair moisturized.

Back