Relaxed Heads - - Styling Options for the Spring/Summer?

LivingDol1

Wow. I just got in from a night out. It rained earlier tonight and it was about 60 degrees. Very humid. I walked out the door with straight hair.... and then when i checked myself in the bathroom, it curled up!!! ARGH.

So, ladies with RELAXED/ TEXLAXED hair, what are you doing with your hair as the weather gets warmer? Any specific things you are doing to avoid having humidity ruin your 'do? Wearing more protective styles?

After tonight, I am two seconds from getting my hair braided up or purchasing a cute, realistic phony pony or bun. Not a fan of the insta-curl look.

Looking forward to your responses.

Last edited:
I was thinking abou the same thing earlier. I plan to be a cowashing/bunning fool during the seasons.

I am planning on getting a BKT so I won't have to worry about it!

ETA: also to give my hair a break from chemicals and heat for a bit.

I was thinking abou the same thing earlier. I plan to be a cowashing/bunning fool during the seasons.

Same here. I cowash 3x/wk now. Come May and through the rest of spring and summer I will be cowashing and bunning it up 5x/wk.

I'm confused, your subject line says relaxed hair. But you say your hair curled up in the humidity?
I have bonelaxed hair and humidity doesn't curl my hair up, it does just the opposite and I get stick straight hair. To combat that I use a good serum on my ends. NTM Healing Shine Serum (in my pre LHCF days) was what I've used. I kept it simple; I got a haircut with a good shape, wrapped my hair each night, and used that serum to keep the humidity at bay.

I'm confused, your subject line says relaxed hair. But you say your hair curled up in the humidity?
I have bonelaxed hair and humidity doesn't curl my hair up, it does just the opposite and I get stick straight hair. To combat that I use a good serum on my ends. NTM Healing Shine Serum (in my pre LHCF days) was what I've used. I kept it simple; I got a haircut with a good shape, wrapped my hair each night, and used that serum to keep the humidity at bay.

I think it is individual. I'm relaxed and have been for years and my hair poofs up in humidity.

I think it is individual. I'm relaxed and have been for years and my hair poofs up in humidity.

Interesting--you learn something new every day. But shoot, that defeats the whole purpose of being relaxed. LoL! I mean, unless you are talking texlaxing. But I'm thinking you wouldn't wear the straight look during the humid season if you were texlaxed. But either way I think a good serum wil be just what she needs.

Interesting--you learn something new every day. But shoot, that defeats the whole purpose of being relaxed. LoL! I mean, unless you are talking texlaxing. But I'm thinking you wouldn't wear the straight look during the humid season if you were texlaxed. But either way I think a good serum wil be just what she needs.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm texlaxed and don't know it. When I relaxed this last time I put saa on my new growth and in the relaxer and only left it on for the allotted time (17 minutes)and I thought it wasn't gonna take. I used Mizani Sensitive Scalp. Even prior to this forest I have going on now--I'm 13 weeks post--my wet hair was never straight. It's wavy. I also airdry only and only comb on wash days. What do you think?

Oops...I think I just have hijacked the thread.

I'll be d0ing braid 0uts and wearing ph0ny p0nies m0stly. I'm a relaxed head and my hair p00fs up when it gets humid as well.

Shay, back in the day I used $5 box relaxers and always got bonelaxed. Since my LHCF discovery last November I've been using 'fancy' BSS relaxers (Phyto and Mizani). Neither one of those gave me hair that was as straight as I have gotten in the past. (there are threads on these two relaxers and how people can't get super straight with them). I now have about 1 1/2 inches of texlaxed hair. So I know what you mean. If your hair is wavy when wet right after the relaxer then you are texlaxed.

What is hijaking a thread?

Shay, back in the day I used $5 box relaxers and always got bonelaxed. Since my LHCF discovery last November I've been using 'fancy' BSS relaxers (Phyto and Mizani). Neither one of those gave me hair that was as straight as I have gotten in the past. (there are threads on these two relaxers and how people can't get super straight with them). I now have about 1 1/2 inches of texlaxed hair. So I know what you mean. If your hair is wavy when wet right after the relaxer then you are texlaxed.

What is hijaking a thread?

That's funny--I used the $5 boxed relaxers too but I would cover my whole head and leave it in until it burned. Hmmm I think I will keep with my current way of relaxing/texlaxing then. I may leave it in for less time next time around.

Hijacking--Going off topic and taking the thread in a different direction

same thing over here! my hair has never ever been bone straight even though i am relaxed. i've never specifically requested bone straight hair and well, i don't think i ever want it to be all the way bone straight or else i'd have no body what so ever. when i wash my hair, it has curls at the bottom, and the middle in the back looks straighter... my hair is just weird.

i just started using mizani sensitive scalp as well. my NG is reeeeally straight so maybe this won't curl much. previously i used affirm or motions relaxer.

and no, you did not hijack the thread. :)

I'm starting to wonder if I'm texlaxed and don't know it. When I relaxed this last time I put saa on my new growth and in the relaxer and only left it on for the allotted time (17 minutes)and I thought it wasn't gonna take. I used Mizani Sensitive Scalp. Even prior to this forest I have going on now--I'm 13 weeks post--my wet hair was never straight. It's wavy. I also airdry only and only comb on wash days. What do you think?

Oops...I think I just have hijacked the thread.

i should probably add that i did a roller set earlier this week but didn't wrap my hair with saran wrap and sit under the dryer for an additional 15-20 minutes to straighten the hair. maybe that's why it curled. it was more defined than frizzy.... thank god. but still not cute.

I think texture sort of depends. In my short stint in cosmetology school they told us over and over not to relax bone straight, its too easy to damage the hair. I don't relax my hair bone straight for two reasons, first I like to have some volume, second I like having the option to do a wash and go.

For the Original poster, try finding an anti humectant? I know Aveda makes one. Other than that I tend to not trip about my hair being straight in the summer because I know it wont stay that way.

I'm natural so all of my styles will incorporate my natural texture, I will be doing twist outs, half wigs, wash and gos, bantu knots and I really want to try the curlisto method this summer.

cool. so how about some options besides braid outs and wash n gos?

i know there are some people on this board who choose not to do braid outs because their hair isn't long enough for it to look the way they want or their ends get extremely dry etc etc etc...

maybe the answer is protective styling after a wash n set...?

does anybody know if just buying a serum or protectant works with fighting humidity cuz lawd lawd lawd as soon as my hair meets this tx humidity i look a ham

i'd like to know as well! i will try the aveda anti humectant that a previous poster recommended. humidity is the devil and i find it hard to believe that a serum will do just the trick. :) oh i fear summer...

i'm also reading the porosity thread. i'm wondering if i knew more about having the proper pH and making sure my cuticle is closed, will that prevent my hair from frizzing as much?

does anybody know if just buying a serum or protectant works with fighting humidity cuz lawd lawd lawd as soon as my hair meets this tx humidity i look a ham

I'm texlaxed and alternate the same hair styles year around:

* Updos up to 5 weeks post texlax, or to protect my hair from abrasive clothing, or when I'm just in the mood.

* Twistouts after 3/4 weeks post texlax or when I'm just in the mood.

* Spiral sets after 3/4 weeks post texlax or when I'm just in the mood.

I'm not bothered by humidity because I almost never wear my hair out in a straight style; I prefer a little curl or texture to it.

I rarely wear my hair down but if I have to wear it straight or slightly curled, I use diluted Ultra Sheen Super Setting Lotion before rolling. the hairstyle lasts even in 93% humidity in Louisiana.

I rarely wear my hair down but if I have to wear it straight or slightly curled, I use diluted Ultra Sheen Super Setting Lotion before rolling. the hairstyle lasts even in 93% humidity in Louisiana.

That's good advice. When I was relaxed a good setting lotion could maintain my rollersets.

My relaxed hair poofs up at the sight of water too :look:. I dread the summer months, and since I like to wear my hair down when I go out it ends up a HAM when its humid, raining or just hot.

I'm going to start experimenting with loose flexi rod sets, so if it curls up they'll be somewhat defined :ohwell: I'm in my stretch until the end of June, so I'm in for a battle...

Yes Mam it does, One of my Sista's here on the board hipped me to Fantasia IC (the spray one) and my dear, I must say, I have relaxed hair that no matter how relaxed it is, in the slightest bit of humidity, it don't even have to be actually raining, my junk will blow up like a cotton ball, Honey, I was out in the pouring down rain, the other day and it stayed exactly how it was when I left the house. Love, Love, Love it, Will be a staple for Life!

I plan on doing what most of the other responders are doing...I bought a UPA clip, and i plan on cowashing/DC 2x week, and keeping it hidden most of the summer. My hair frizzes in the humidity too, so i plan to use this time of increased growth to do protective styles!

I'm thinking of getting some braids for the summer. I'm trying to stretch my relaxer thru summer if I can. The humidity in Cincinnati can be rather NASTY! (80-90% humidity levels YUCK!!!) My relaxed hair goes......POOF! :blush::lachen:

Back