Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

I relaxed my hair today for the first time after 5 years.
I am now making a list of what to add for my regimen. I watched Dolce Dawn’s video and so far I have decided to get olapex #3 for protein treatments.
Any suggestions for what to use for daily moisturizer?

Congratulations!
I feel hair board old school when I say this but I use cheapie moisturizing condish as a daily moisturizer (Suave, Tresemme, etc.).
Usually it's condish+water/tea in a spray bottle or as a creamier mix in a bottle.
You'll probably also get more suggestions in the Relaxed Hair Thread:

Congratulations!
I feel hair board old school when I say this but I use cheapie moisturizing condish as a daily moisturizer (Suave, Tresemme, etc.).
Usually it's condish+water/tea in a spray bottle or as a creamier mix in a bottle.
You'll probably also get more suggestions in the Relaxed Hair Thread:

Okay perfect thank you! I will check out the other thread as well.

Your hair looks beautiful!
When did you stop relaxing and how long has it been?
Thanks!

I've been fully natural about 5 years I would say. Here's a link to my big chop: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/so-i-big-chopped-pics-more-pics.822469/

Those pictures are fooling. My texture is nothing like that now. I didn't stop relaxing because my hair was unhealthy. I reach WL healthy relaxed hair. I just wanted to see what my natural texture looked like and then I just kinda stayed natural.

The longer my natural hair has gotten, the less I want to deal with it. I am in braids and twists almost 85% of the time. lol. I wish I had had this hair when I cared about having long hair.

Right now my longest layer is past WL, but I'm about to cut it lol.

Now 26 weeks post. :ohwell:

I was supposed to relax several weeks ago. But, because I'm keeping my hair short and last touch up was more like a texturizer, majority of my hair is like a shrunken afro when wet. My hair (including some relaxed parts) shrinks to my head. I need to blow out the roots for touch ups, otherwise I'll overlap too much.
It takes so long to do my hair, that I'm too tired to want to even think about the relaxer process a few days later.

Also, the hair looks good after I straighten, so I think I can get away with another week or so without relaxing...... That is, until I have to wash again, fro returns, and the cycle continues. :lol:. This always seems to happen. So, either I'm starting my longest stretch ever, or I'm transitioning to be a straight-haired natural. lol

Last edited:
@secretdiamond

((BIG HUG))
That sounds frustrating.

Six months is a really good stretch though! You could join me in the Rare Relaxers section. :biggrin: :lachen:
I relax 1-3 times a year, depending on the year. I think I've already recruited my hair cousin @ItsMeLilLucky

Using heat to stretch is a great technique! ANDDD, if your length is relaxed, you'll have to worry less about reversion and you can use a lower heat setting. I debated long and hard last year about becoming a heat loving natural and that's what did me in. All of the work that has to be done to get my hair styled or straightened, only for it to poof up the minute I step out of the house. :nono:

Right now, my hair is short so I completely relate to the feeling when the new growth seems to easily overpower the relaxed portion. lol

Last edited:
Wow, 5 weeks post today. The time is just flying by! I love it when it's like this though. I'd rather the time fly by.
Didn't see much new growth until last week, a week after I went back to cornrows.
I'm planning to stay in cornrows until my EOTY relaxer in Dec with a heat break in Oct for my relaxer anniversary.

@secretdiamond

((BIG HUG))
That sounds frustrating.

Six months is a really good stretch though! You could join me in the Rare Relaxers section. :biggrin: :lachen:
I relax 1-3 times a year, depending on the year. I think I've already recruited my hair cousin @ItsMeLilLucky

Using heat to stretch is a great technique! ANDDD, if your length is relaxed, you'll have to worry less about reversion and you can use a lower heat setting. I debated long and hard last year about becoming a heat loving natural and that's what did me in. All of the work that has to be done to get my hair styled or straightened, only for it to poof up the minute I step out of the house. :nono:

Right now, my hair is short so I completely relate to the feeling when the new growth seems to easily overpower the relaxed portion. lol
Yup, I've decided to do a yearly or at the very least 6 month contract with relaxing. Every 6 months to a year is when I decide if I want to renew my relaxer contract :lachen:

Sometime Mid August
Plan to relax in the next week or so. Will do a hard protein to prep my hair for it.

I think she has a 'tendency' to overlap (running that mouf and messin' with that phone):phone:.

So, I'll be watching out for that as well as having a thick base of "Base" or some type of oil on my relaxed hair before I go in:ohwell:

ETA: After this, will relax again around or after Thanksgiving

@secretdiamond

((BIG HUG))
That sounds frustrating.

This is me right now! My hair will look amazing, then step outside and I look like I didn't bother to brush my hair. LOL. Especially my edges and the hair in the front, since all those roots are exposed and revert. What sucks is that my edges shrivel up to my head and makes it look like I don't have any, when 10 minutes before, they were blown out and looked glorious. LOL.

I wanted to post pics of before I wash and straighten and after I straighten, but it is SO horrendoulsly BAD, it's too embarrassing to show. :lachen:

And, I'll join the club!

Last edited:
6 weeks post today and still planning to relax in November at 16 weeks.

Thinking I may have to go back to ORS no lye. It's so readily available and I can't find Optimum anymore. Soft & Beautiful left too many under processed areas. At 6 weeks post, I feel more like 9 weeks post.

Let me go back and read my posts. I think the only complaint I had about the new ORS was that it was runny.

I'm not relaxing for a while; I feel like doing a long stretch - at least six months but we'll see. I'll be doing this with no heat so it's going to be hard. I'm only 6 weeks post and my roots are very full already

I'm doing a K18 treatment course, I know that this hasn't worked for some of us but I like K18 and my hair has a very immediate and positive reaction to it.

I've been using Pureology leave in on my roots and mids and Aveda serum on my ends, and the combo is really helping my hair at the moment. I think I might have to repurchase more of the Aveda Nutriplenish products because they are bomb!

I'm doing a K18 treatment course, I know that this hasn't worked for some of us but I like K18 and my hair has a very immediate and positive reaction to it.
@LushLox :2inlove:....:hiya:
Lush - what do you like about K18 and what positive reactions (benefits) do you feel your Hair is experiencing? I have 'thought' about buying/trying this at some point.

ETA: What all are you using? The Mask, Leave-In, Mist?

Last edited:
@LushLox :2inlove:....:hiya:
Lush - what do you like about K18 and what positive reactions (benefits) do you feel your Hair is experiencing? I have 'thought' about buying/trying this at some point.

ETA: What all are you using? The Mask, Leave-In, Mist?

I'm just using the leave in. I followed the instructions, air dried and applied my other leave in on top. I was having some breakage and it cleared it up immediately. No dryness, ends were nice and smooth and my hair has felt great following it, feels very soft. I think by the time I finish the course any issues I had will be long gone.

Once I complete the 6 week course I'm going to use it every month as maintenance. I just wish it wasn't so expensive though. :ohwell:

@LushLox thanks for your review of K18. I hesitate to use products like that sometimes, so I like hearing from actual users - not just paid influencers. It's expensive, but I'll keep it on my radar. If it works, it's worth the expense to me. I've been able to keep my breakage to a minimum so far, but will not let price stop me from using a product that works.

Looks like I might be trying Dark & Lovely or Motions for my next relaxer. The new ORS left me under-processed as well. :rolleyes:

It's like the universe wants me to be a texlaxer! :drunk:

@LushLox
:thankyou:
When/If I do decide to buy-try, maybe I'll just start off with the Leave-In as well.

So do you "Condition" before applying the L-I?

The directions say, Shampoo - Do Not Condition and apply L-I. Is the L-I in place of a Conditioner? I found that to be interesting?:scratchchin:

I'm not sure I can skip Conditioning/Deep-Conditioning?:lol: At least a R/O:perplexed:

Okay...so I read up on it a little bit. So you apply it and wait at least 4 minutes before applying your other products correct?

Last edited:
@LushLox
:thankyou:
When/If I do decide to buy-try, maybe I'll just start off with the Leave-In as well.

So do you "Condition" before applying the L-I?

The directions say, Shampoo - Do Not Condition and apply L-I. Is the L-I in place of a Conditioner? I found that to be interesting?:scratchchin:

I'm not sure I can skip Conditioning/Deep-Conditioning?:lol: At least a R/O:perplexed:

Okay...so I read up on it a little bit. So you apply it and wait at least 4 minutes before applying your other products correct?

I use a good nourishing pre poo before washing, shampoo then apply the K18. I thought that I wouldn't be able to skip conditioner either but actually my hair feels like I had conditioned it. Adding a good leave in conditioner, a while later does help with that.

However if you still want to use conditioner you can, you just have to wait the minimum of 4 minutes before applying anything else; so in essence you can apply the conditioner then wash it out and proceed with your usual post wash process.

Personally I don't want to use it like that, I want the K18 in my hair until I'm ready for my next wash.

Back