Relaxed head: Explain spiral curls with rods?

I'm interested to try this one day. I know its those soft bendy rods that are used. What size would I need? (my hair's btw shoulder blades).

Could you let me know step by step how to do this? (Like Caramela's pic of curly rodded hair). Do you use a setting lotion or something to hold the curls? Does the hair have to be 'set' dry under a drier or no? how do you wear the hair at night and what do you do the next morning? And most of all, are the rods easy to put in?

Any tips? advice?

Thanks!!! I want to try this look one day since Christmas/New Years is rapidly approaching. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is what I do: I like a looser spiral curl so I don't use flexi-rods. Even the large flexi-rods give me a tighter curl than I want so I use rollers called Designed for Me that I got at Sally's.

After wash/condition, etc., I run a little Infusium 23, Wonder-Gro Shea Butter oil and wrapping foam through my hair and part it into sections (I don't use a setting lotion). I dab some Ultra Sheen creme satis pres just on the ends and roll in a spiral fashion, using different sized rollers on different parts of my head. I then sit under the dryer for about an hour until it's dry. My curls come out shiny, soft and bouncy, like I just came from the salon (LOL).

My hair is very fine and soft so I have to roll every night if I want curls. Luckily, the rollers I use are soft enough to sleep in comfortably so I just add the Infusium and Shea Butter oil as needed and roll at night, tying it all down with a silk scarf. If I don't roll at night, I comb out my hair in the morning and wear a cute wavy style.

I like to experiment with new styles on Saturdays so I have time to rewash if I don't like it. Give it a try and see what products and rollers work best for you. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

They're sold in a pack with three or four different sizes from jumbo to really small. I use the largest size, about the same size as large magnetic rollers, and the next size smaller. They're both bigger than the flexi-rods. If you like a tighter curl, you can try the flexi-rods or Sally's even sells straw-sized curlers for a straw set.

Hi Brownrelaxedhair,
I've worn my hair curly using the flexi-rods on almost a constant basis for the last couple of months (I'm a recovering addict of the roundbrush blowdry/curling iron routine). I too was inspired by Caramela. Just to pass on some of the tips I learned from her (on the relaxed hair care forum): FYI; My hair isn't nearly as long as your hair. Maybe an inch or two shorter than your length in your august pic.

I initially begun by using a setting lotion by Dark N' Lovely but I stopped using setting lotion because I was experiencing breakage, so now I use a little combo of leave in conditioner/and a thermal product by TCB/water. Also, for the first time last night, I sealed the ends w/ a little Wild Growth oil. I am taking preventive measures because of the cold weather, wool scarves, etc.
I basically use the blue color flexi-rods w/ a couple of the red near my temple since my edges are kinda of anemic.
As far as upkeep, I pin the curls up w/ metals clips so that curls are forming a loose ponytail on top of the head. Then I cover w/ an extra large satin bonnet. Great tip from Caramela.
Good Luck!!! Happy Holidays!

The biggest and most frustrating problem for me using this styling method (and I'm dying to try it and get it right - someone HELP!) is keeping those damn flexirods in! They just won't stay in on me....By the time I'm done with one roller the one I did previous has fallen clear out of my head. Just slides right out. I don't want to buy any more rollers for this purpose because I already bought the flexi's and I know they work - I just don't know how to do them.

Makes me very mad. I'm not buying different rollers if I can't get flexi's to work. Hmph. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Can anyone help? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey Tracy!
How are u rolling them? are u rolling the length of your hair and then bending the top down to hold your hair tight? Patrice from the board sent me a pic of someone's hair actually being roller nad it helped me out a bit...let me see if i can try to post or u cna just give me your email.

Tonya - big thanks girl.

I roll in a spiral and then bend them at the top AND bottom but obviously not in the right direction or something cuz it's always a mess. I also have trouble layering them so that they don't all get tangled into eachother and knock themselves out if that makes sense. LOL!

My email is [email protected] Thanks again nena! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK lady I sent you the pic that helped me to get it right.
Although I ahve yet tp master the look I ma shooting for I am getting there.
HTH

tonya, if you can't post it here, maybe you can put it in your picture trail album for a day or two so we can see it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Tony, I know I'm being greedy, but you wouldn't happen to have an after pic to show how her hair turned out would you?

Thanks Tonya for the pic. Now to try and DUPLICATE that! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

OMG the things we do for spiral curls..... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back