Relaxed braid out vs. Natural braid out?

naturalmanenyc

Can you tell the difference between the relaxed vs. natural braid out?
What technique do you think would make them look more similar?

IMG_0014-vi.jpg

IMG_00141-vi.jpg

IMG_0016-vi.jpg

IMG_0009-vi.jpg

My technique is pretty simple. I braid my washed & conditionerd hair while wet (10 - 12 sections) after moisturizing each section with Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner. If it is not dry before bed, I sit under the dryer & have had to sit under the dryer in the morning as well.

At night I spritz my hair lightly with water and add more leave-in and rebraid in 4 - 6 sections. That's it.:grin:

Last edited:
On the first one it looks like you were transitioning....

The last third pic you can see the waves at the roots, but then the way the ends and length kind of coiled makes me think it was done on natural hair.

It's hard for me to tell b/c my natural hair is so huge I would think the natural one would be much much larger than the relaxed version.

When I was transitioning, I used only braidouts, and they looked like the fourth photo you showed. Twists wouldn't give me enough definition on my relaxed hair. On my natural hair, I use twistouts more often than braidouts. To get my twistouts to look more like my relaxed braidouts, I need to make smaller braids/twists, and leave them in a few days OR I could band the twists after doing them and dry them with a blowdryer. I haven't tried to get them to look identical, because my natural hair is WAY curlier than my relaxed hair. The end result...(photo from 2007). If I'd blowdried the hair afterward, the curl would have stretched a lot more.

225130147.jpg

1st- relaxed (stretching or transistioning)
2nd- natural

I hope I'm right.

Edit: I'm not sure now. I scrolled back up and I feel confused. LOL

1st an 3rd are natural? (Almost looks like transitioning?)
2nd and 4th are relaxed?

I did braidouts while relaxed and now when natural. There was nothing I could do to make my relaxed braidout look more like my natural braidout. But then again I was bone-straight relaxed. I think if you're texlaxed you may be more successful.

The best advice I could give, is to braid with a gel-based product or setting lotion for hold. The smaller the braids, the more defined it will be. Then set the ends on perm rods. HTH!

Ist is natural/transitioning (obvious bc of the roots)

2nd relaxed.

To get one to look like the other, perm/press your hair. Natural 4b hair is not going to look like relaxed hair unless it is straightened then braided.

Yep, this is right.

I think I am going to need to use some gel and keep using more braids. I have only been using Shea Moisture leave-in & water this week. Although my hair is uber soft & touchable, it gets a bit frizzy & has no hold. I have not yet tried a braid out with gel.

I am using perm rods on the ends but I think smaller perm rods are needed.

1st an 3rd are natural? (Almost looks like transitioning?)
2nd and 4th are relaxed?

I did braidouts while relaxed and now when natural. There was nothing I could do to make my relaxed braidout look more like my natural braidout. But then again I was bone-straight relaxed. I think if you're texlaxed you may be more successful.

The best advice I could give, is to braid with a gel-based product or setting lotion for hold. The smaller the braids, the more defined it will be. Then set the ends on perm rods. HTH!

I have been wondering how I'll make my natural braidouts/twistouts look like my relaxed ones, when I BC. The way I can see that happening is stretching my natural hair while it's drying (banding or tension method while blowdrying on cool air), and then following the steps I usually do (cornrows or braidouts), using lustrasilk shea butter on each section. I say this because I have 8.5 months of new growth and when I do these styles, I can see some definition in it...

Maybe try that and see, using a product of your choice?

Lightly Blow dry it first, then after braiding, semi-saturate it with lotta body setting lotion.
Once it is completely dry take it out or you could also sit under the dryer to dry & set it.

Can you tell the difference between the relaxed vs. natural braid out?
What technique do you think would make them look more similar?

I can't answer your question because my braid outs absolutely suck, but your braid outs are beautiful. Can you share your technique/products?

Back