Relax Now or Later?

SohoHair

Okay ladies I need some help. My last relaxer was January 28, and I've been stretching ever since. I know it's not that much to some of you ladies, but for me it's a very big deal, I've been relaxing every six weeks like clockwork for awhile, I don't think it had too much of a negative impact on my hair, but I was excited about trying to stretch longer since I am trying to get the edges on my right side to recover from microbraids a few years ago. Anyway stretching has been a breezy breeze, usually at week 6 my NG is a nappy horror, but thanks to the MSM my hair is growing in soft waves that are wonderfully easy to manage. I've had basically zero breakage until this past week. My hair all of a sudden started breaking! It was very very scary. I've been doing regular Keraphix treatments, lot's of moisture all the good stuff. So here's my question, I have basically 2 options for what to do now. I can have my mom relax me with Phyto II tommorrow, or do an emergencee treatment tonight and relax with Phyto next week.

I trust my mom completely with my hair, she's great about not overlapping and whatnot, but I had lightly flight ironed my roots the last time I washed, about 5 days ago and while my NG is still very apparent, if I hadn't flat ironed they'd be VERY VERY apparent, so I'm not sure if it'll effect the process at all. And the problem with doing Emergencee and waiting to relax is that, what if the breakage doesn't stop?? :eek: :eek: It's seriously making me lose sleep at night, and my hair has been growing sooooooooooooooooooooooo much that my NG is OUTTA CONTROL. So what to do? WHAT DO DO LADIES??:confused: :(

*sigh* It's hard to tell because my hair is 60 trillion different lengths, I'm growing out a Eva Pigford-esque fauxhawk that I got in August so the back is shorter than the front and the crown is shorter than everything else! But if I had to hazard a guess, I would say the demarcation line perhaps?

I would do the emergencee first. Simply because I like to do a protein treatment the week before I relax anyway. It's always good to do a protein treatment before you relax anyway. If you hair starts to break from stretching (like mines is doing now) slick your hair back into a ponytail and wait it out, with NO manipulation or combing except to moisturize. That's what I'm doing now.

The purpose of stretching is to allow enough new growth so that when you do relax, you won't overlap or overprocess your hair. However, there is a fine line between how long to stretch. If your hair grows more quickly or is a more prone to breakage, then you may not be able to stretch as long. I haven't relaxed since January 7th, and it's definitely time for a relaxer. I will be relaxing on Saturday. It's important as you start this haircare journey to learn your own hair. Your hair is like your body and your fingerprints, completely individual and different from everyone else. Some ladies on this board can easily stretch for 20 weeks, with little to no breakage. Some can only make it 8-9. Also, some can go around 12-15 weeks. It all just depends on your hair. Keep your hair well moisturized, but if you find that breakage keeps occuring, I would relax. When I get past the 8-9 week mark, I can no longer use heat (like blowdriers, curlers, etc.) because doing so will put too much tension on my hair and cause me severe breakage. I have been wearing protective styles (and believe me, it gets boring), but that's the only way to prevent severe breakage for my hair. Ask yourself, what's the point of stretching, if all your new growth ends up down the drain?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps!

cocoberry10 said:
The purpose of stretching is to allow enough new growth so that when you do relax, you won't overlap or overprocess your hair. However, there is a fine line between how long to stretch. If your hair grows more quickly or is a more prone to breakage, then you may not be able to stretch as long. I haven't relaxed since January 7th, and it's definitely time for a relaxer. I will be relaxing on Saturday. It's important as you start this haircare journey to learn your own hair. Your hair is like your body and your fingerprints, completely individual and different from everyone else. Some ladies on this board can easily stretch for 20 weeks, with little to no breakage. Some can only make it 8-9. Also, some can go around 12-15 weeks. It all just depends on your hair. Keep your hair well moisturized, but if you find that breakage keeps occuring, I would relax. When I get past the 8-9 week mark, I can no longer use heat (like blowdriers, curlers, etc.) because doing so will put too much tension on my hair and cause me severe breakage. I have been wearing protective styles (and believe me, it gets boring), but that's the only way to prevent severe breakage for my hair. Ask yourself, what's the point of stretching, if all your new growth ends up down the drain?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps!

Dang girl, this was some EXTREMELY good advice. Well written too!

MizaniMami said:
Dang girl, this was some EXTREMELY good advice. Well written too!

Thanks. I wish I could take all the credit, but I've gotten so much good advice from all the wonderful members here, and learned how to take care of my hair! :)

***UPDATE***

So I relaxed with Phyto today and it was wonderful, I am absolutely in love with this relaxer!! However I realized why my hair was breakinng after I washed it. It was over-moisurized!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: I had heard some of you ladies mention this but I had still never thought it was possible!! But when I was rinsing my hair after the conditioner it felt.... globby and mushy and it stretched soooooooooooooooooo far when i did a strand test. It almost didn't feel like hair. But Phyto is wonderful, my hair feels heavy and luscious, I can't wait to take out the rollers!! Thanks for all your help ladies!

Back