Relax, Condition, then Neutralize - who does this?

texasqt

I'll be relaxing my hair this weekend and its been 13 weeks since my last one. I remember reading that some ladies condition after their perms and before they neutralize. If you do this, why? and what is your process?

I'm debating between switching to a lye relaxer or to sticking with no-lye and just switch to using ORS Olive Oil. Then I'm contemplating using the Aphogee Protein Treatment as well. But should I use it before or after I neutralize? If anyone does this, plz let me know and fill me in on your results.

I also want to know should I use a milder protein for this process.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Affirm relaxers suggest this with the 5 in 1 treatment prior to neutralizing. The thought process is to get the conditner in while the cuticules are raised the highest during the high PH level from the relaxer. This will enable more treatment to get to the cortex. I have always been afraid to let the relaxer work any longer on my hair than it has to and run for the neutralizing shampoo as fast as I can.

It's SouthernGirl thread you are looking for. If I have it saved I will bump it up for you. But in the mean time, do a search on her name. Or on Vital. that is how I found it.

I did the conditioner (I used the Vital that she suggested) after I relaxed just as instructed and I was pleased. I wish you the best.

**I didn't do my own hair a friend did it for me so I didn't self relax.

Last edited:
I plan to, but I haven't done it yet. I was going to use aphogee 2-min reconstructor, but I decided to use StyleOne and distilled water instead. I'm adding protein before netralizing because relaxing provides a unique opportunity to get protein into your hair. Relaxers raise the cuticle by raising the PH very high. Whatever you put on your hair at this stage will be much more effective.

Remember, every minute before neutralizing is a minute your hair is still being processed (even tho you rinsed it). :yep:

Last edited:
I used Silk Elements rinsed applied motions CPR mixed w/ motions moisturizing (let sit for 5 minutes) then neutralized. My hair feels really strong. I love it!!

Being the PJ that I am, I have both the Aphogee 2 min and the Motions CPR on hand!!! Yippeeeee!!!!!! I'll try one of these. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

I relax with Motions Oil Moisturizer Relaxer
Rinse relaxer
Apply Motions Silk Protein for 5 mintues
Rinse Silk Protein
Neutralize with Motions Oil Moisturizer Creme Neutralizing Shampoo
Condition with a good Moisturizing Conditioner

My hair loves it !

I do too:

-Rinse the Motions Mild Relaxer
-Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner, 10 min
-Motions Neutralizing Shampoo, 2 lathers
-Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner, 15 min

Benefits from doing this????

Hmm, I don't know that I have seen any :look:

But the concept/science behind this method makes a great deal of sense. My hair condition has improved, but I am doing so many things that I can't attribute my success or hair health to just one thing.

I think my hair has more body than when my stylist used to skip this step. I have fine hair and it doesn't look as flat as when my stylist performed my relaxer services.

This could be from the stretching, scalp massages, sulfur oil, baggying, vitamins, or any of the other things in my routine that have changed since leaving my stylist.

I'm confused. Some mention using Porosity Control to lower the pH and some mention using protein to build protein bonds back that the relaxer has broken down.

My question is WHICH ONE SHOULD A GIRL USE? Does it all depend on my hair condition or does this mean the same thing?? I know that question sounds silly, but I'm seriously confused.

I believe the porosity control (for PH level) and using the protein (for strength) are two different things. But I can't provide you the scientific answer. Maybe someone else can?

SerenityBreeze said:
If I remember correctly, Affirm relaxers suggest this with the 5 in 1 treatment prior to neutralizing. The thought process is to get the conditner in while the cuticules are raised the highest during the high PH level from the relaxer. This will enable more treatment to get to the cortex. I have always been afraid to let the relaxer work any longer on my hair than it has to and run for the neutralizing shampoo as fast as I can.

me too!! motions recommends this as well but i always neutralize before i condition

I'm glad you started this thread because in doing so it allowed the Holy Ghost to bring things back to my remembrance.

Back in the day @4 or 5 years ago I used to do this. I would relax my hair, rinse add conditioner, rinse then neutraliz, rinse and deep condition. My hair was always straight and soft. Always.

Why o why did I change this? Lately I've been doing the same except instead of doing a slippy moisturizing sealing conditioner, I've been doing a reconsructing/protein. After all it makes sense to build up what was lost doesn't it? and- it appears that it works for 98% of you guys. But guess what? my hair does NOT like this step at all. No protein after my relaxer for me before neutralizing. It reverts everytime. No wonder my relaxer are never straight.

I must go back to the conditioner instead.
Thanks for this thread I would have never thought about it without you.

You are sooo welcome nomore...and thank you to all of you who've answered thus far. I'm under the dryer now. I relaxed with ORS and used my aphogee reconstructor. When I was wrapping my hair I thought I might've been underprocessed because of my wave pattern but reading your post may have given the reason why AND I was wondering if it mattered whether you used a protein or moisturizing conditioner. However, my hair is still soft and smooth. It's soooo soft and smooth it's almost scary!!! My hair has never been like this before!!!

I actually do this using the Vitale Relaxer System, and my hair always comes out straight, silky, shiney, and soooo soft, not to mention it feels really moistured I can't even tell a chemical service was just done.

I use Silk Elements lye Megasilk relaxer, rinse then slather on Wella Regeneral ph normalizing lotion for 2 min. rinse and then proceed with neutralizing with Proclaim Neutralizing poo. I find my hair has way more body than when I used to go to the salon and it leaves the hair nicely conditioned too. :)

Letitia said:
It's SouthernGirl thread you are looking for. If I have it saved I will bump it up for you. But in the mean time, do a search on her name. Or on Vital. that is how I found it.

I did the conditioner (I used the Vital that she suggested) after I relaxed just as instructed and I was pleased. I wish you the best.

**I didn't do my own hair a friend did it for me so I didn't self relax.

Thanks girlie for recommending this thread :)

Funny thing, I just relaxed the other day and had to use a different conditioner than my beloved Vitale :(. I ran out of the Positive Cond. and the Neut. poo and went to 4 stores and couldn't find the conditioner!! I ended up purchasing a a conditioner by Optimum which is supposed to serve the same purpose by restoring the PH balance post-relaxer. It was OK, my hair feels normal, but I miss my Vitale! I'll have to go online to order to make sure I have some on hand for next time.

SG

I think conditioning before neutralizing will really help my hair but i am concerned about over processing. I have very fine hair(and sensitive scalp) that processes (and burns) very easily, as a result i use a children relaxer (Beautiful beginnings) for fine hair. I sitill have to wash off the relaxer less than five minutes afters it goes on!!

I am thinking of switching to mild Motions Oil Moisturising relaxer and considering applying CPR after rinsing relaxer. My next relaxer is in a few weeks.

Please give advice on how safe this will be for fine hair types. Also, if one intends to do this should they rinsing off relaxer earlier than normal so as to allow extra minutes for the conditioner without extending relaxer processing??

I think protein right before neutralising does cause a lil reversion...I did that and its looked like I had texlaxed after ward. :(

I did this the last time I relaxed, following the instructions for the Affirm relaxer application. My hair came out great. I neutralized until my fingers were shriveled up after though. :lachen:

I had my first perm in years about 2 months ago, and unfortunately the stylist chose to condition, then neutralize. I lost tons of hair, and that's why I have returned to LHCF to simply figure out how to keep this over-processed mess on my head long enough to look normal while I grow some healthy hair. :(

I sent the stylist an email saying how DEAD WRONG she was. If you condition first, it should be for 5 minutes tops, with no hood dryer, and the total time from beginning to neutralizer should not be longer than your normal processing time.

CAPlush said:
I had my first perm in years about 2 months ago, and unfortunately the stylist chose to condition, then neutralize. I lost tons of hair, and that's why I have returned to LHCF to simply figure out how to keep this over-processed mess on my head long enough to look normal while I grow some healthy hair. :(

I sent the stylist an email saying how DEAD WRONG she was. If you condition first, it should be for 5 minutes tops, with no hood dryer, and the total time from beginning to neutralizer should not be longer than your normal processing time.

You may want to try henna. I started using henna because of an overprocessing experience. I wish I'd done it shortly after it happened but I didn't start until months later. It'll really strengthen and condition your fragile tresses.

CAPlush said:

i'm glad you told her off. at least someone stood up to one of them. she deserved it.

Back