Relationships and Facebook/MySpace/Other Online Social Networks

Cincysweetie

Evening ladies! :wave:

I wanted to discuss the topic of relationships and online social networks (such as Facebook and MySpace). Have they ever caused arguments or disagreements in your relationship? Maybe debates over "friends"? Comments on your "wall"? Pictures or other items on your "page" (maybe you or yourself listed yourselves as Single when you were actually In a Relationship?)

Me and DH both dont use Myspace, we both dont like it much and there's always someone trying to holler. I like Facebook because it helps me keep in touch with old classmates and family. DH was bugging about all my male friends though so I just took them off.
I had one friend who was dating this guy for years and on his account he doesn't even have that he's in a relationship and doesn't even mention her at all.

Evening ladies! :wave:

I wanted to discuss the topic of relationships and online social networks (such as Facebook and MySpace). Have they ever caused arguments or disagreements in your relationship? Maybe debates over "friends"? Comments on your "wall"? Pictures or other items on your "page" (maybe you or yourself listed yourselves as Single when you were actually In a Relationship?)

This is probably the most likely of them all to cause problems (moreso with people who frequent the Internet) . Starting wall posts like "Oh I didn't know you were single" etc. I never had this problem, we (former SO) were both listed as "it's complicated" at first then he went ahead and sent the request. IRL he would be like "you know I love you, you my complicated." lol

Me and DH both dont use Myspace, we both dont like it much and there's always someone trying to holler. I like Facebook because it helps me keep in touch with old classmates and family. DH was bugging about all my male friends though so I just took them off.
I had one friend who was dating this guy for years and on his account he doesn't even have that he's in a relationship and doesn't even mention her at all.

Dang, that sucks!

Dang, that sucks!

You're telling me:nono:
They had been going together since freshman year and here it is senior and females over campus dont even know about her since she kept to herself. He'd be at parties while she'd be chilling at home waiting for him to call. If you mentioned his name, girls would roll their eyes.

You're telling me:nono:
They had been going together since freshman year and here it is senior and females over campus dont even know about her since she kept to herself. He'd be at parties while she'd be chilling at home waiting for him to call. If you mentioned his name, girls would roll their eyes.

Ok, it just gets even more sad... no more details please. :nono:

This is probably the most likely of them all to cause problems (moreso with people who frequent the Internet) . Starting wall posts like "Oh I didn't know you were single" etc. I never had this problem, we (former SO) were both listed as "it's complicated" at first then he went ahead and sent the request. IRL he would be like "you know I love you, you my complicated." lol
LOL that's funny!

former relationships are the reason i don't do facebook at all :nono: i never did myspace.

i definitely found out that a dude i was talking to up and got married when i left for school one fall... how did i find out? thru facebook :ohwell:

i called him up thinking to myself 'i seriously hope he wasn't in a relationship all this time and i was the other woman,' but no, this fool tells me 'married' on his profile REALLY MEANS married!!! :blush:

who does that?!?!?!

i could go on about this fool and how i (mistakenly) dealt with him again after he got divorced 9 months later :rolleyes:, but everything ain't for lhcf :lachen:

I've had one disagreement due to MySpace. My ex and I broke up, and during that time he was with another girl - he had a cute little synopsis about her on his MySpace, their exchanged cute comments, cute picture comments etc. Well, when we got back together we got into a huge argument because he didn't want to do ANY of that with me. He didn't want his friends to know we were dating again yet. In the end he put something up, but it wasn't nearly as much as he did with her.

Guess it seems petty, but that bothered me.

former relationships are the reason i don't do facebook at all :nono: i never did myspace.

i definitely found out that a dude i was talking to up and got married when i left for school one fall... how did i find out? thru facebook :ohwell:

i called him up thinking to myself 'i seriously hope he wasn't in a relationship all this time and i was the other woman,' but no, this fool tells me 'married' on his profile REALLY MEANS married!!! :blush:

who does that?!?!?!

i could go on about this fool and how i (mistakenly) dealt with him again after he got divorced 9 months later :rolleyes:, but everything ain't for lhcf :lachen:

It's all good, I'm sure I've read very similar stories on here. Those type of jerks I hope will get theres in the end.:wallbash:
Ok, it just gets even more sad... no more details please. :nono:

lol

I'm asking because my current SO is anti-MySpace (I don't have a Facebook, I'm sure if I did he'd be anti that too). He thinks it's a dating website :rolleyes: and dangerous (he mentions that people have gotten killed as a result of MySpace "friends") and he doesn't understand why me (or his daughter) are on it. He also thinks I'm too old for it, lol. I tried to explain that I've seen plenty of "98 year olds" on there. :grin: Anywho, I keep trying to tell him that it's NOT a dating website and I'm only there to keep up with old friends, etc. and it's not like I interact with strangers. I don't think that there's really any question here (LOL)...but just wondering if anyone else has had the same discussion and how/if it was resolved?

My SO and I waited a while before putting our relationship status and even longer (We were together for almost 5 months) before we put each other's names. It was more a matter of wanting to preserve our privacy because we know a lot of the same people. I found it was helpful because it definitely changed the tone of the messages on our walls and honesty boxes.

OT: I've heard of people getting broken up with via that newsfeed. Not knowing they were single until they read that newfeed that their SO was now single.

I've had one disagreement due to MySpace. My ex and I broke up, and during that time he was with another girl - he had a cute little synopsis about her on his MySpace, their exchanged cute comments, cute picture comments etc. Well, when we got back together we got into a huge argument because he didn't want to do ANY of that with me. He didn't want his friends to know we were dating again yet. In the end he put something up, but it wasn't nearly as much as he did with her.

Guess it seems petty, but that bothered me.

I dont think so. *** him.

Every single guy I know on myspace lists themselves as single. Even if they are in a relationship. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

I just take it as something commonly done by men. The women are quick to put the relaitonship status up...but men :nono: I guess they have to keep their options open

We're both on myspace and facebook.
It definitely has caused arguments....:ohwell:
People say not to take myspace so seriously, but I can't help it sometimes.
One time, his ex put something on his wall on his myspace page that I didn't like. I told him, and he deleted it.
A couple of times, he commented on a couple of his female friends pictures. I happened to see them, and I told him about it. There was an argument about that too.
He has a TON of female friends, and I get to see their comments on his page.
Right now, there's actually one of his "friends" that I'm curious about. I don't know what's going on, but I don't think I like it......:angry2:

One of female friends refers to facebook and myspace as "The Devil". LOL

One of her relationships ended really badly because of stuff she found out about the guy she was in a relationship with. I see it as a blessing...cause she would probably still be living a lie if she didn't find out. He would have still been sleeping with her and the other girl. ANd she would have continued to have unprotected sex with him because she trusted him...and that could have led to so much more problems.

(He also had single on his page)

I dont think so. *** him.

Ditto!

I had an off & on high school "boyfriend"/college "sweetheart" who did the same to me. Professed his love to the other chick throughout social internet pages (first blackplanet, then myspace, then crushspot, then facebook), made his status married to her on FB. Then put me on his blocked list. He went back & forth between us (or at least I thought he did, f'in dirtbag) for years. NEVER did any of that for me. Me & her hated each other until one day we sat down and talked and found out he pitted us against each other from the get go. Slime, I tell you. I'd spit in face if I ever seen him in the street.

Now, on Myspace I'm listed as married & my page is private to be unsearchable. My friends find me through mutual friends. And you have to know my email or last name to add me. On Facebook I'm not listed as anything. My new "SO" has no Internet access nor does he want it. So I'm in no rush to change anything. :drunk:

Back