Regular Rollersets -- Are They Old-Fashioned?

renee_n_3000

I have noticed a lot of references here to ladies wrapping their hair or having it blown out straight after a rollerset. So, now I'm wondering if anyone here just wet sets their hair and wears it full and bouncy.
confused.gif

That was the way I wore my hair most of my life. When I was little, it was usually for special occasions. Then starting at about age 10 or so, it was my regular style up until college. I got different types of haircuts for variety, but rollersetting was the way it was styled. Later on, I started blow-drying it instead and used a curling iron, which I now know is bad and I haven't done that in many years.

Today, I just can't handle sitting under a hot dryer with big rollers in my hair, especially since I choose not to go to salons anymore and have to use a tabletop dryer. Sometimes, I'd still like to wet-set my hair, but I know that I can't even fit my head under my dryer with all those huge rollers in it. I learned that the hard way one day years ago after spending the time and energy to roll it. However, when I had a shorter haircut and used smaller rollers, it worked very well.

Here is the best picture I found online of what I am talking about. This is a wig and it's not exactly what I mean because it looks kind of stiff, but it will give you an idea. Please try to imagine it softer, looser and longer.
smile.gif
roller set look

So, is this kind of look outdated? Is there a reason so many Black women today choose to wear there hair completely straight all the time instead of curled?

i personally don't wear my hair in a rollerset because i think that i look silly. my friends called me sallie mae the last time i tried a rollerset.
lachen70.gif

I don't have a problem with rollersetting and keeping the curls on the ends. I just don't like that much volume and teasing on the top. I think that part would be too dated for me. It reminds me of Dynasty or 80's pageant hair.

When I Rollerset my hair, I use smaller rollers and pull the rollers down to create a spiral look almost.

I haven't worn my hair in a style like the pic you posted only becuase that would look funny on me
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
I don't have a problem with rollersetting and keeping the curls on the ends. I just don't like that much volume and teasing on the top. I think that part would be too dated for me. It reminds me of Dynasty or 80's pageant hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have added to please try to imagine the hair in the picture 'flatter' as well.
laugh.gif

I also wet set my hair but I use the biggest rollers that I can so that I can have bounce and not alot of curls. Whenever I do a dobbie I seem not to have any curl or bounce to my hair so I don't do it.

Oh ok.
grin.gif

I like to use the gray rollers because it keeps the top smooth, but there will still be loose curls and waves on the ends if I don't comb through them. If I want it curlier, I use the magenta colored ones. But I still like for the hair from the crown of my head to at least chin length to be straight.

i like traditional rollersets. i cant do them myself, but i like them. the trick to keeping the look updated is to give yourself a jazzy part from the forehead going back about 2 inches toward the crown of your head, then lifting the hair and let it fall all sexy and bouncy on each side of the part. Also, leave some strands apart from the rest of your hair framing your face to give it a nice romantic sexy look -- jainygirl

the style you are describing is sort of how my hair looks now. what's funny is that i got a dominican blowout (rollerset and blowout) last weekend and the next day when i unwrapped my hair, thats what i had. a head full of soft fluffy roller set curls. it's friday and it is still a little too fluffy for my taste (after re-wrapping, flat ironing portions of it, and sleeping with hair in a bun). and yes, i guess it is a little old fashioned when compared to the styles people are wearing today. i've gotten a lot of compliments and double takes, especialy from guys.
wink.gif
--aregee

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
i like traditional rollersets. i cant do them myself, but i like them. the trick to keeping the look updated is to give yourself a jazzy part from the forehead going back about 2 inches toward the crown of your head, then lifting the hair and let it fall all sexy and bouncy on each side of the part. Also, leave some strands apart from the rest of your hair framing your face to give it a nice romantic sexy look -- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I like big and fluffy.
laugh.gif

I have so been debating about this with myself for my next relaxer
wallbash.gif
. I really like that ladies hair and my current length would allow me to have volume like that. I am going to relax my hair next thursday, use a serum and a leave in and add a semi perm black to it. I am going to roller set using the large purple rollers. Basically, I love the way it looks when I have just combed down the curls, its so full, light and bouncy (sometimes I look like one of those decons at church), it almost looks like a good wig
wink.gif
. I usually wrap it straight afterwards and then it ends up flat and straight, I think its time for a change. It takes guts to wear your hair with volume and Im going to do it, when I do, I will post some pictures. I have never been one to conform to norms anyway and surprisingly, whenever I wear my hair in any style other than straight, people show so much more appreciation.

Anyway, in regard to maintaining this look I was going to sleep with large sponge rollers. Does anyone know how many I should use, how they should be positioned and whether I should sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet? Do I comb it with a wide tooth comb or finger comb?

Well the last time I tried to wear my hair without blowing it or wrapping it after a roller set. My husband told me I looked like I needed to go join the mother board at church. LOL...SOOO that was ENOUGH for me not to do it again.

[ QUOTE ]
Keisha_gurl said:
i personally don't wear my hair in a rollerset because i think that i look silly. my friends called me sallie mae the last time i tried a rollerset.
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol
laugh.gif

When I roller set my hair I get big waves or loose ringlets, but I like the style you posted renee. I don't think it looks too old fashioned. I'd wear it.
smile.gif
Then again I like the way I look with "big hair"
laugh.gif

My mother loves this hairstyle and is always trying to get me to wear my hair like that..I try to tell her that it's not the 80s and that my hair frizzes very easily but Mommy doesn't listen.

Frankly, I love the way that looks..But then again, I loved Dynasty (still watch the re-runs) and many of the hairstyles in the 80s. I have done it, but I tend to wear a headband with it, to keep the "classic" look so that it doesn't look outdated. I would wear my hair like that more often but I don't really know how to control the frizzies.

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
I am going to roller set using the large purple rollers. Basically, I love the way it looks when I have just combed down the curls, its so full, light and bouncy...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I liked about wearing my hair rollerset, too. The wig in the picture looks heavy, but my hair always felt light and bouncy when it was rollerset.

I love and have the big purple rollers but I can't fit my head under the dryer with them in! May I ask what kind of dryer you use? I have a Gold N Hot and it is way too small.

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Anyway, in regard to maintaining this look I was going to sleep with large sponge rollers. Does anyone know how many I should use, how they should be positioned and whether I should sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet? Do I comb it with a wide tooth comb or finger comb?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll need to roll it to maintain the look. That sounds uncomfortable to sleep on, too. What I used to do was just pin it up loosely and cover it with a satin bonnet or scraf. I would spray it with oil sheen before putting the bonnet/scarf on and when I shook my hair out the next morning, it smelled heavenly!

I just started to use an oil sheen again about four months ago and people are constantly asking me why I smell so good and what perfume I am wearing. Men want to buy it for their girlfriends and wives.
smile.gif

I don't think regular rollersets are old-fashioned, as long as they don't come out looking too much like the photo
laugh.gif

I think that if you pick the curls apart (split them in half) when you take the rollers out and make sure the rollers are not too small, then you can get a really curly, bouncy, fluffy, contemporary look
smile.gif

I rollerset my hair every night for years, but I stopped recently because my hair always came out looking like a poofy hair helmet. I didn't want to walk around looking like a Pointer Sister so I stopped roller setting it. Sometimes I will throw about nine pillow rollers in my hair in the morning and let them set while I shower and get dressed and, surprisingly my hair comes out pretty nice. I guess sometimes less is more.

One of the best things about this board is learning how other people see things. I am surprised to hear that so many people, especially men, think loose rollersets look church-like or matronly. (I can understand that reaction if it is tight, though, and I agree!) I always used to get the comment that I looked "glamorous" or "sexy" when I rollerset my hair. But that could have been due to the times.

These days I usually wear it straight, straight with a slight wave, or scrunched/curly/wavy. I occasionally set it with my Caruso curlers, but the finished look is somewhat different than a wet-set.

I actually love the rollerset look but only on shoulder length hair or longer because of the spiral curl look u get, unfortunatly my hair has not reached the length yet where my curls will look like spiral curls after being rollerset so I tend not to do it, I am hoping within a few months I can just take the rollers out and keep it moving instead of having to wrap it or blow it out because then it will look like spiral curls intstead of a regular rollerset.

When I go to Dominican salons, I don't get blown out. Sometimes, I get just the roots blown out to remove the crease from the rollers, but I prefer the curl. It's like getting two hairstyles in one, bc even once I lose the curl, I still have body. In my avatar, this is my hair 2 days after having my hair set. No blow-out. So many times, I've been in the salon, and been watching someone get their rollers taken out, and I'll think how pretty it looks, and then they blow it out, and I want to stop them, lol. IMHO, it's a softer, more feminine look. I love curls. Go for it
smile.gif

the only way they look oldfashined is when you use those small perm rods and they hug tight to your head
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
the only way they look oldfashined is when you use those small perm rods and they hug tight to your head
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
I do rollersets at home all the time, and I wear my hair full & bouncy with a side part and I always get compliments on it!! The stick straight look is okay, but I prefer the "full, bouncy hair with volume" look!!
up.gif
I also use smaller rollers sometimes, and then just separate the curls with the end of my rat-tail comb and maybe put a headband on...
smile.gif
I LOVE that look!!
grin.gif

How are you guys maintaining the styles overnight? I love this look too, but I can only get it directly after I remove the rollers....

I see sponge rollers - and I might try that.
smile.gif
Any other methods?

[ QUOTE ]
My husband told me I looked like I needed to go join the mother board at church.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

That's how my wet sets usually turned out.

If you use the smaller rollers, you can just put a satin cap on your head (or just sleep on a satin pillowcase) or put all your hair up into a loose ponytail HIGH up on your head with a satin scrunchie.

All those methods will keep some of the curl, but of course they do loosen up and don't look quite as fresh the next day and subsequent days...
ohwell.gif
But they'll still be "wearable"!!!
smile.gif
On the third night or so, I throw in some sponge rollers & start all over again!!
grin.gif

eta:
If you don't like the idea of using sponge rollers, you can also use magnetic rollers!! (Use a little bit of SSLD) Just put a row going down your head like a mohawk (gather up all your hair from the sides to the top of your head and roll...) Your hair will come out great and you'll be able to sleep too, cuz there aren't any rollers on the sides.
up.gif

Renee I use a dryer called Aphrodite, its in salons in england, thanks for your response.

Has anyone seen Beverlys hair in the hair journal, thats kind of what Im talking about, it looks so soft, shiny and feminine. I love it!!!!

Sometimes I wear my hair full and bouncy the day of the roller set (not when I go to a Dominican salon though - usually when I do it myself). After that, I wrap it because my full and bouncy curls will be no more the next day.

Back