Regimen help

adi687

I'm just starting my hair journey and I've had a weave for about a month and a half now as protective style. I'm planning to take it down and get some micros done. I'm not sure which products to use then.

So far I've been using olive oil (once a week), VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing (4-5 days/ week) for moisture
Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal shampoo and conditioner (for shampoo once a week)
and Aussie Moist Conditioner for DC. So far I've done it only once a week.
Am I doing anything wrong and what regimen can I start for my micros?

hi! :wave: good luck with finding your regimen. i would not suggest micros but i guess if you care for them well, it won't hurt (mirco ladies please chime in).

are you natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning?

i would also suggest a good protein treatment & deep condition after the weave and before the mircos.

Last edited:
Bumping....
Hi fellow newbie,
This weekend I'm taking down a weave I've had for a month as a protective style. I've had a similar routine to yours, and I don't know how to take care of my own hair (relaxed 4b). I too need help figuring out a reggie.

I don't think I'm going to keep using weaves as a protective style though because they are expensive and I have really dry hair and scalp that seems to be aggravated by the weaves. Also after reading all these posts on the board about DCing and cowashing I am ready to rip this weave off my head and be free! LOL. I really think I will be looking into cowashing.

Before I started my hair journey I tried micros and they ALWAYS broke off my edges and snapped my hair at the point where the braids stop. But that may just have been because I wasn't caring for them well.

I'm 2 months post relaxer. I've been wanting to try more protective styles to give my hair a rest while I care for it.
Yes, I'm planning to wait about a week or so before I get the micros but you might be right ...

Last edited:
I have worn micro braids and I haven't experience any breakage. In fact my hair grows fast while in brads. I have a great stylist/braid and she is natural, so she know how to work with my hair. She doesn't braid too small and she avoid braiding tight. I keep my scalp clean and moisturized to promote growth and avoid breakage. Before I get my hair braids I clarify, deep condition, apply a leave-in, and light oil. So it just depends on the techique.

Last edited:
Welcome!

As long as you're careful about how you take care of your hair while it's in braids, you should be fine. Also, don't braid your haiir too tightly. Many a female has lost her edges, due to too tight braids.

Some people just slap braids in their hair and expect that their hair will take care of itself. Not so. Your growth might be good, but you'll end up losing the length that you would've gained by the ends of your hair breaking due to dryness, undue stress etc.

-You have to keep your scalp clean and nourished.
-Moisturize and strengthen hair appropriately
-Some ladies even deep condition with braids

A number of ladies have had a good amount of growth success
by following the Crown n' Glory method from this site:
www.groafrohairlong.com

You should check it out and see if any of it might work for you.

Happy Growing!

hi, and welcome to the board!!!

first i would (personally) wait 4-6 weeks between my weave and getting micros so that i could get my hair "in shape" for the stress that it is about to endure with the micros...second (and i really should have said this first) be very careful with micros, those braids are KNOWN to break your hair off. if growing your hair is what you want to do, consider braids no less than the size of a pencil. (that's not to say that people don't have success with micros...)

treat your braids as if it is your own hair. find a good braid spray or make one and use it EVERY DAY! here's the one i use.

be sure to keep your scalp clean and your braids conditioned.

research the crown and glory method of growing your hair. many growers have head success with it!

good luck and happy hair growing!!!

I agree, I would suggest waiting a while before the braids. Like the old folks say, "let your hair breathe." LOL

I would definitely DC weekly while you're out of the weave before you get braids. The first one should probably be a protein treatment so that you can begin strengthening the hair. Just wear a protective style like a bun, phony pony, wig or half-wig for a while, if you're concerned about styling.

I've worn braids. Never had breakage. My hair was weak usually in one spot, but it never broke off. But I was very careful to take care of my edges and such and keep my scalp clean. And this was pre-LHCF, so as long as you're extremely careful and interview the stylist and tell her exactly what you want and what you expect, you should be fine.

Back