Redken Smooth Down got my hair so straight I could not wrap it....

Dove56

Hi Ladies,

I used Redken Smooth down butter treat and left it in for 15 minutes then I used the detangling cream and a 3 pumps of Redken Smooth Down Heat glide and my hair was blinging like CRAZY!!!

I don't have pictures (I was in Denver for my B-day last weekend and I washed my hair) but after I flatironed my hair was so straight I could not wrap it. I have a hard enough time wrapping it as it is but I get it done. I finally had to resort to bobby pins to wrap it. My hair was soooo swingy and shiny. It was a healthy looking shine too instead of that fake grease looking shine. :yep:

BTW I am about 12 weeks post (i've texlaxed 2 this year March and June), texlaxed, naturally a 3b/c with a BKT in my hair. :drunk:

I HEART:love: Smooth Down Butter Treat! Love It. Love It. Love It.:lick:

Haven't tried the Heat Guide or the Detangling Creme (which is something to look in for a long-term stretch)

the detangling creme is redken too?
part of the smooth down line?
is the butter treat a leave in?

the detangling creme is redken too?
part of the smooth down line?
is the butter treat a leave in?

Sharifeh,

The detangling cream, heat glide, and butter treat are all part of the Redken Smooth Down line. The butter treat can be left it (it says that on the bottle) if your hair is really dry, but it's more of a moisturizing/smoothing mask.

Sharifeh,

The detangling cream, heat glide, and butter treat are all part of the Redken Smooth Down line. The butter treat can be left it (it says that on the bottle) if your hair is really dry, but it's more of a moisturizing/smoothing mask.

I use the Smooth Down Butter Treat as a Moisturizing Mask. I usually use it as a Deep Conditioning Treatment.:lick:

Ugh!! Veejee, I'm glad you enjoyed your bday :congrats: and I'm happy that your hair was just swingin and blingin like nobody's business. But I have got to start avoiding your threads because I have spent so much money on my fabulous hair and I am now about to buy the entire Redken smooth down line. sigh.... :shopping:

Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide is da truth! Gets my hair super straight and shiny each and everytime. I might have to try the butter treat conditioner everyone keeps talking about.

Your hair looks lovely sheba

Veejee, what did you think of the detangling cream?

It's awesome as well. :yep: It will give your hair alot of slip and it INSTANTLY detangles. I'm really in love with the whole line and that's unusal for me because I've tried EVERYTHING.

I had a similar experience with that line this week. Granted, I'm a 4a natural, so my hair wouldn't get as straight as yours. I have found these to be invaluable products that I almost threw out, because I thought I had no use for them. I haven't used the butter treat, but now that you've mentioned it, I should go out and buy and see if my hair doesn't get even straighter with that first step added.

Maybe this will protect my hair from reverting. The last two times I did my hair myself, it reverted to the point that I had to go back to the salon. It could be the humidity here, but this may help and maybe Sabino Moisture Block. Lately, I've been wearing a scarf during my evening stroll. Thanks!

Last edited:
actually, salons are the cheapest places to find them. ulta often has sales on the liters, and the hair Cuttery is always selling the shampoo & condish bundles at heavily discounted prices. same at the JC penney salon.

try not to buy salon products from Target, walmart (unless it's at the walmart salon), & drugstores, as they are usually more expensive, and have probably been sitting on the shelf for a loooong time (esp. if you see dust on the bottles). i stocked up on smooth down liters when ulta had them on sale for 9.99 a piece.

I use the Smooth Down Butter Treat as a Moisturizing Mask. I usually use it as a Deep Conditioning Treatment.:lick:

So do I, thanks to T!!! It's excellent. My hair comes out so smooth and moisturized. I turned some ladies at work on to it when they kept asking what I did to my hair!! :yep: Definitely a new staple for me!

I just bought the Butter Treat yesterday. I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow. I got mine from Ulta. They have a buy two get one free sale on Redken products going on for a few more weeks. They have trial/sample sizes of the butter treat and the heat glide for 3 or 4 dollars.

Last edited:
Love, love, loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee the heat glide! Happy to try butter treat tonight during my deep con/ overnight con! YIPPY!

Back