Red Pam Oil Or Palm Oil - Which is Better?

CocoGlow

I am interested in using red palm oil or butter....it seems harder to find than plam oil or butter or palm kernal oil or butter..

For those that use it, which one is better or is there really no difference?

By the way...I do not want the one w/ the strong scent used in cooking b/c I plan to use it for my hair

Thanks
NappyRina

Last edited:
Red Palm oil is the best but be careful it stains. Its rich in beta carotene, vits A,E, and K it softens,conditiones and moisturizes and full of antioxidants.... I use it in my pre-poo mix once a week

Palm oil is refined/bleached so the nutrients are destroyed

Red Palm oil is the best but be careful it stains. Its rich in beta carotene, vits A,E, and K it softens,conditiones and moisturizes and full of antioxidants.... I use it in my pre-poo mix once a week

Palm oil is refined/bleached so the nutrients are destroyed

ITA with all of the above!! It does stain my satin pillowcase and smells funny :look: but the benefits it provides are great. I found a jar at Whole Foods.

Thanks ladies for your replies

So red palm oil or butter is best....is the butter simply the oil solidified at cool temp like coconut oil or is it mixed w/ something else?

I noticed that Wholefoods does carry it, so I will check it out before looking online....besides sites like bestdeal.com are sold out--I wonder why LOL!

Carameldiva...The red palm oil at that site agbangakarite.com is EXPENSIVE or is that the price range I should expect $15 - 1 lb? :drunk: Oh yeah, did you get the same results from the red palm oil & the virgin palm kernal oil?

Since it stains and has a funny scent, I am assuming everyone uses it as some form of pre-wash conditioner like MissMadaam....does anyone mix it w/ something else as a leave-in like shea butter? If so, what are your recipes?

Thanks again
NappyRina

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for your replies

So red palm oil or butter is best....is the butter simply the oil solidified at cool temp like coconut oil or is it mixed w/ something else?

I noticed that Wholefoods does carry it, so I will check it out before looking online....besides sites like bestdeal.com are sold out--I wonder why LOL!

Carameldiva...The red palm oil at that site agbangakarite.com is EXPENSIVE or is that the price range I should expect $15 - 1 lb? :drunk: Oh yeah, did you get the same results from the red palm oil & the virgin palm kernal oil?

Since it stains and has a funny scent, I am assuming everyone uses it as some form of pre-wash conditioner like MissMadaam....does anyone mix it w/ something else as a leave-in like shea butter? If so, what are your recipes?

Thanks again
NappyRina

Red Palm oil/butter is the same thing its just some call butter cause like coconut oil its a semi solid..
I wonder why its not called coconut butter:lol:
U dont have to pay alot for it I get mine at the West Indian/Caribbean market 32oz for like $6.. African markets have them too or other grocery stores that sell ethnic foods also health food stores.
Sareca makes Red Palm oil cream im not sure how much she uses or if her concoction stains or not u can shoot her a pm

Last edited:
Red Palm oil/butter is the same thing its just some call butter cause like coconut oil its a semi solid..
I wonder why its not called coconut butter:lol:
U dont have to pay alot for it I get mine at the West Indian/Caribbean market 32oz for like $6.. African markets have them too or other grocery stores that sell ethnic foods also health food stores.
Sareca makes Red Palm oil cream im not sure how much she uses or if her concoction stains or not u can shoot her a pm
I was going to say this too. I got a 32oz bottle from the market near me for $5.99.

palm oil is the same as the butter ladies

its just like coconut oil - it hardens at certain temperatures

this is then called "butter"

Thanks ladies for clearing things up for me!

Would you say red palm oil/butter is comparable to any other oil or butter or is it truly unique? And why?

Thanks
NappyRina

I've had red palm oil for a while and I've finally used it. I sprayed my hair with aloe juice, then followed with red palm oil. I was able to detangle my 4b/cnapp hair with no problems. 3 days later my hair is still nice and soft. I ordered from www.agbangakarite.com but I don't recall it costing $15. Again I ordered it a while ago.

oh, I also have palm kernel oil. I haven't used it yet.
Lys

ETA: I paid $14 for the red palm oil last year Feb. Their other prices have gone up $.50 - 1.00. I order from them because they give back to the community and I can support that. The rest of the stuff I bought that day was cheaper than what I can get locally.

Last edited:
I love the red palm oil.

Like others here, I get mine from the African market.
I can go in with $20 abd get 1 lb of shea butter, a 32 oz bottle of Red Palm oil and a 32 oz bottle of real coconut oil.

I buy extras and send it to my sister in California.

Back