Recs for Shea Butter-Free Moisturizers and DC's?

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm mad. Shea butter is such the "miracle" ingredient in so many formulations but my hair is not havin' it! I finally realized it's the one ingredient so many countless product FAIL's for me have in common. It just creates a sticky, tangly mess. Any other naturals out there who are "Shea-sensitive?" LOL Meanwhile, I got some thirsty curls! They are really crying out! TIA!

I agree 100% Shea butter sets my scalp on fire! :burning: I finally realized I was allergic to it after buying some body butter that broke me out and made me itch terribly.

I keep trying to figure out who made Shea butter the "Queen of all hair butters" :rolleyes:

ETA: I forgot to recommend products...whoops! I use Giovanni SAS as a DC, sometimes I mix it with oil. I have to say, the prevalence of shea in products really snuffed out the PJ in me, so once I found something that worked I just stuck with it.

Last edited:
Have you tried Cupuacu & Hemp Moisture Cream? While I haven't had an opportunity to try it myself, based on the reviews I read, it's a great product. The description, directions, and ingredients are below:

This product is perfect for daily use. It does not contain shea butter for everyone who asked for a shea butter FREE moisturizer :). It has the perfect amount of moisture for all hair types.

Directions: Can be applied to dry or wet hair. Place your hair into 4-6 sections. Warm up the product in your hands. Apply a dime to quarter size amount to each section (depending on your hair length). Apply more if needed.

Ingredients: Distilled Water, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed (Cupuacu) Butter, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice, Hemp Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow root), Emulsifying Wax, Apricot Kernel Oil, Arctium Lappa (Burdock Root) Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Orange Essential Oil, and Fragrance.

The price range is $12.00 for an 8 oz. bottle. I would love to try it, but I've put myself on restriction after spending $54 on oils the other day. :look: Let me know if you decide to try it.

Oh yeah, in case you want it, here is the website that I found when I did a search.

http://www.naturaleehaircare.com/product_p/21.htm

I love Shea Butter, but Miss Jessie's SuperSweetback treatment, AO Honeysuckle Rose, Moisturizing Conditioner, and Curl Junkie's Deep Fix are great deep conditioners without Shea Butter in them.

Alas, Shea Butter is like, the 3rd ingredient in AO Honeysuckle Rose. I was just getting ready to buy that too! Same with Island Naturals! Phooey! I'll check out the others you recommended. I'm not familiar with Curl Junkie... I was traumatized by Miss Jessie's other Deep Conditioner (it was so bad I've blocked out the name--oh wait, I think it was Rapid Recovery)

Most, if not all Mozeke's products are shea butter free. b.a.s.k. is also shea free as well, except for one product (I think the leave-in).

Thankfully I can use it on my skin and in rinse out conditioners, but my hair hates it as a leave-in.

Thanks for the tag, Ronnieaj! I'm constantly looking for shea free myself.

I recently ordered Curly Kinks Curlycue ReNew deep conditioner. My hair loathes anything shea with a passion, so I too am always looking for shea-free products. I am due to receive the product this week and have heard nice things about it. I will report back. Here are the ingredients:

Distilled Water, Certified Organic Burdock Root (Arctium lappa), Certified Organic Amla (Emblica officianalis) , Certified Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense), Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Guarsilk, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance.

http://curlykinks.com/Catalog/Curlycue-ReNew.html

My hair hates Shea butter too. No matter what the product is, or where in the list the Shea butter lies, it doesn't work for me. It can be at the bottom of this list and it still won't work for me.
I don't know why shea butter is put on a pedestal. It's just a grease. And just because it comes from Africa, doesn't mean it's good.

I'm just upset that they keep putting that mess in so many products. I believe, a lot of failed products would've worked for me if only they didn't have Shea butter in them.

My hair hates Shea butter too. No matter what the product is, or where in the list the Shea butter lies, it doesn't work for me. It can be at the bottom of this list and it still won't work for me.
I don't know why shea butter is put on a pedestal. It's just a grease. And just because it comes from Africa, doesn't mean it's good.

I'm just upset that they keep putting that mess in so many products. I believe, a lot of failed products would've worked for me if only they didn't have Shea butter in them.

I think the demand in recent years have brought down the cost so its easily accessible and cheap. IDK There are so many other butters I wish manufactures would use.

Back