Reconstructor vs Protein treatments . . .

Snuckles

Can someone tell me the difference between these two? On what occasions should I use the reconstructor? The protein treatment?

JOICO K-pak is a reconstructor, right?

Thanks

I found these 2 explainations online:

RECONSTRUCTOR:

A reconstructor is a type of conditioner.A conditioner's main purpose is promote moisture, smooth hair cuticle cells and enhance shine and manageability. Most "regular" coditioners are formulated with humectants (compounds that attract and hold moisture into the hair).

The main purpose of a reconstructor is to strengthen the hair and is formulated with protein and is meant for use in hair that is very badly damaged.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/20034

PROTEIN:

A hair treatment designed to add strength and elasticity to the hair by adding protein to the cortex.
www.lamasbeauty.com/glossary/glossary_P.htm

In my experience, reconstructors tended to be a little stronger. I really don't think it matters too much because both will add protein. In terms of protein strength in general, the darker, the funkier and the more liquid (in terms of creamy vs straight up liquid or gel), the stronger the protein content.

Not matter what you decide, follow with your protein treatments with a moisturizing conditioner. Some conditioners that are really mild proteins like ORS replenishing pack don't need to be followed with anything else.

Things like Nexxus emergencee, duo tex, Dudleys DRC, Aphogee treatment for damaged hair and other strong proteins like that need to be followed up all with moisture

Thanks for the replies but I'm still confused. I need it in layman's terms because it sounds like they are the same with the exception that the reconstructor is stronger, right?

I'm bumping in hopes of getting more information about the difference between reconstructors vs. proteins and if there is a best practice with incorporating BOTH ....or if only ONE will suffice without the other.

Anyone??

Back