Reconstructing Leave-ins???

princessdi

Does anyone use these? My weekly hair care routine consists of washing on Tuesday (Protein-based products) and Saturday (moisture-based products) with a cowash on Thursday. Just recently, I started to use a protein-based leave-in that says that it provides moisture as well as strength but my hair really doesn't seem to be doing well with it but I think I need strength because of breaking. I don't use the protein leave-in alone, I combine it with Giovanni Direct and Sunsilk Hydra TLC (love this).

What can I do to both moisturize and strengthen my hair to prevent breaking? I am currently using Pantene's anti-breakage shampoo and mask on Tuesdays but nothing so far, but I've used it only twice.

An advice is greatly appreciated.

I do!

I use Joico K-pak Leave-In Reconstructor for protein after applying Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (moisture).

You pretty much have to "feel" it out to determine which one you need (protein v. moisture). Are you familiar w/Sistaslick's thread on breakage? If so, she describes what to look for when doing a wet assessment. If not, do a search; it's a great thread!

For my hair, I DC 2x/wk and for one wash I use Motions CPR (bottle) for 3-5 min before DC w/heat. For the other wash I use a moisturizing conditioner (Joico Moisture Recovery) before my regular DC treatment. When I rinse it out, I like to spray in some protein to balance it out--this works for me b/c I have painfully fine hair that needs regular protein. Your hair may have different needs. (In fact, b/c my hair needs protein often, Joico has proved to be a HG product line, since all of their products contain some amount of human keratin protein in them!)

Hope my rambling on has helped! :)

princessdi said:
Does anyone use these? My weekly hair care routine consists of washing on Tuesday (Protein-based products) and Saturday (moisture-based products) with a cowash on Thursday. Just recently, I started to use a protein-based leave-in that says that it provides moisture as well as strength but my hair really doesn't seem to be doing well with it but I think I need strength because of breaking. I don't use the protein leave-in alone, I combine it with Giovanni Direct and Sunsilk Hydra TLC (love this).

What can I do to both moisturize and strengthen my hair to prevent breaking? I am currently using Pantene's anti-breakage shampoo and mask on Tuesdays but nothing so far, but I've used it only twice.

An advice is greatly appreciated.

Okay. I just re-read this...I think you should increase your moisturizing via DCs for awile and use that protein leave-in 1x/week at MOST till you notice the breakage decreasing. How does the hair break? Does it snap or does it pull then break?

artemis_e. said:
Okay. I just re-read this...I think you should increase your moisturizing via DCs for awile and use that protein leave-in 1x/week at MOST till you notice the breakage decreasing. How does the hair break? Does it snap or does it pull then break?

It just snaps at the touch, especially when I'm trying to moisturize my ends.

princessdi said:
It just snaps at the touch, especially when I'm trying to moisturize my ends.

Yeah, you need moisture...Try lightly misting the hair w/water before applying the moisture, and it'll give a bit more. Then seal lightly w/oil (like jojoba or cococut).You may want to increase your DC or co-washing; btw a leave-in I like that is virtually protein-free is Paul Mitchell The Conditioner. Try the protein once every other week for a while. It's easier to bounce back from over-moisturizing than OD'ing on protein. Oh and drink buckets of water ;)

HTH

Back