Recommendations needed - I've never done a protein treatment

naturalmanenyc

I had my Komaza Hair Analysis with Jenn on Tuesday and although I'm doing well with my hair regimen, a protein treatment was recommended.

I'm natural, type 3a/4c hair, normal porosity with medium strands. I have some mid shaft splits that the protein treatment will bind (not repair) until such time as I trim them off I suppose, with trims every 2 - 3 months.

It seems that walking out of Drybar with half done hair was a good decision. Jenn feels my hair regimen is simple such that the damage she saw may have come from the blow out. Details of that experience are here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=692361&highlight=drybar

Mid shaft splits:
attachment.php

attachment.php

weak point:
attachment.php

The problem is I've NEVER done a hard core protein treatment.

I used Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor a few times (only bought 1 bottle) but I have never tried the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment or any other hard core protein treatment or reconstructor that requires a deep conditioner afterward.

I use Aubrey GPB weekly (on dry hair for 15 minutes) but was told to use something additional on a bi-weekly basis.

I would guess hydrolyzed keratin is the best protein ingredient since it mimics hair?

Any recommendations?

virtuenow
KittyMeowMeow
Mahogony7
AFashionSlave
TheEspressoHair
nymane
RoundEyedGirl504
MixedGirl
JC-Junkie
Bublin
southerncitygirl
veesweets
ronie
lindsaywhat
NappyNelle
bunnie82
cynd
g.lo
Angel of the North
Nichelle_jb
IDareT'sHair
leigh.hill
mrs.reese
Ari8

Tropic Isle Jamaican Castor Oil Protein Treatment stinks, but works. I swear its like using real mayo. Def follow with a moisturizing DC.

What about Komaza's protein strengthener? I like it a lot but since it's a hard protein I only use it once a month instead of the recommended bi weekly.

Claudie revitalizer renew protein. Full of different types of protein including hydrolyzed keratin. It has ceramide ( hempseed oil high in the list).
Her noemi lazing conditioner is also great if you want a balancing conditioner that does not need to be followed by a moisturizing conditioner.
Good luck. I have tried many others, but the renew is the best I have tried so far.
Good luck.
ETA: if you prefer not to order online, nexus emergencee or una intensive protein treatment. Love these two. I have been trying the all natural regimen this year so I stop using them. But they are excellent protein treatment.

Last edited:
I really like the Aphogee 2 step. Tbh, I've gotten such consistent results with it I've never tried anything else.

via LHCF App

Joico K-Pak is one of my staples. You can use their Reconstructor conditioner and follow up with their moisture condish or mix them together.

Thanks for tagging but I can't really help. I've never done a hard protein treatment either!

On a side note I really want that Komaza Hair Analysis

mzteaze, have you ever tried the Sally Beauty GVP Joico K Pak knock off? If so, how does it compare to the original?

JulietWhiskey, what is the name of the Sally protein condish that you like? Is it a light, medium, or heavy protein treatment?

TIA

I try to use something each wash day. I have a few Reconstructors mixed in.

In no particular order:
Cathy Howse UBH *very nice protein rx*
Claudie's Renew Protein
b.a.s.k. Whiskey-Vanilla Repairative Rx
Hairveda Methi Set
Curl Junkie Repair Me & CJ Intensive Rx
Komaza Protein Rx (haven't tried new formula)
SSI Fortifying & SSI Okra
Camille Rose Algae Rx
Giovanni Nutra-Fix

Salon Brands:
Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
Affirm's 5n1 & Affirm's Sustenance
Redken Deep Fuel & others
L'anza Reconstructor
AG Fast Food Reconstructor
Joico K-Pak
Tigi Dumb Blonde

Komaza's protein strengthener works great for me.

Not sure if its considered a true hard protein but Curl Junkie repair me is also really good.

Nexxus Emergency Polymedic is my fav.

Those pics are awesome! So a hair stylist took those pics for you? Where is she located?

I try to use something each wash day. I have a few Reconstructors mixed in.

In no particular order:
Cathy Howse UBH *very nice protein rx*
Claudie's Renew Protein
b.a.s.k. Whiskey-Vanilla Repairative Rx
Hairveda Methi Set
Curl Junkie Repair Me & CJ Intensive Rx
Komaza Protein Rx (haven't tried new formula)
SSI Fortifying & SSI Okra
Camille Rose Algae Rx
Giovanni Nutra-Fix

Salon Brands:
Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
Affirm's 5n1 & Affirm's Sustenance
Redken Deep Fuel & others
L'anza Reconstructor
AG Fast Food Reconstructor
Joico K-Pak
Tigi Dumb Blonde

:blush::blush:. The pjism is real.

I personally find the ors mayo works peetty well for me. I used to use aphogee but l didn't see much of a difference with it.

I might have to try that komaza protein conditioner... 3 votes for it so far.
pre_medicalrulz the pictures are from the OP's komaza personal hair analysis. There is a long thread about the service. For a fee of $65 (might have gone up to $85), you send samples of your clean shed hair. They look at them under a microscope for analysis. You then get a call with the results, and recommendations to correct any issues you might be having with your hair.
Lots of ladies are getting it done with excellent results. After 6 months of following an updated regimen based on the recommendations, you send new samples of your hair for evaluation.
They provide you with pictures to see what they are talking about during the report.
It is a great service, and i can't wait for my follow up analysis at the end of the year.

@naturalmanenyc

komaza protein strengthener, it blows aphogee 2 step outta the water!!!

ITA. I've used both and liked the aphogee 2 step (although I didn't like the second step/balancing conditioner and felt it didn't moisturize enough). Komaza protein strengthener is the only product that I truly felt gave me immediate and noticeable results.

@mzteaze, have you ever tried the Sally Beauty GVP Joico K Pak knock off? If so, how does it compare to the original?

@JulietWhiskey, what is the name of the Sally protein condish that you like? Is it a light, medium, or heavy protein treatment?

TIA

MileHighDiva

It's called Cure Care Conditioner and I would consider it a medium protein. I also use the Fermodyl liquid and that is definitely a heavy treatment!

Both of these are life-savers for my super-fine, 4a hair but you must follow up with a moisturizing treatment after using either one.

HTH!

Really, you've never done a protein treatment? Well @naturalmanenyc it really is a treat for your hair. The Komaza Protein Strengthener is awesome. I follow it with Aubrey HSR moisture dc. My hair feels so strong, yet super moist. I do every other week right now. You could have asked for recommendations during your analysis and they would have given you some. Jenn never gives a specific Komaza rec unless you ask. I have tried Aphogee 2-step (way too strong and ickky w/horrid smell), Nexxus Emergencee (very good also but not natural) and Komaza's is the best. It has natural ingredients, and is considered a moderate or medium protein so it can be used more often. I'm glad your analysis went well & shed some light. Is your hair red? Did she really say to trim only every 2-3months? ARe you sure it wasn't every 4-8 weeks? 3months is a long time when you have mid shaft splits.

Last edited:
virtuenow

Nope, never did any hard core treatments. I don't even have any protein treatments in my ridiculously huge stash.

Yes, Jenn gave recommendations. She said I need something with silk, wheat or jojoba proteins in case I want to check my existing products.

No, my hair is dark brown, color #2 if it were weave. I use henna/indigo.

Yep, Jenn said to trim every 8 weeks to 3 months. She sent a written report after our call.

:recommend using a mild protein treatment every two weeks to keep the hair strong and protected. Our protein is the Protein Hair Strengthener. This will help to minimize single strand knots, mid shaft splits and breakage.

:Continue getting about a 1/4 inch trim every 8 weeks-3 mths and after your trim you can oil the ends with coconut oil to help keep them strong and protected.

:After you wash and condition your hair; apply a protein base leave in conditioner (Aloe My Hair Leave In Conditioner/ Coconut Milk)

:You may also prefer a spray leave in such as the Aloe My Hair moisturizing spray or Califia moisturizing spray to refresh the hair the next day.

:Try not to manipulate or style your hair often. The less you do to your hair the better it is. You are doing great with your hair just need to incorporate protein to regiment and watch your hair.

Last edited:
I used to use aphogee on a regular basis, but I don't need it anymore.

I would definitely give the Aphogee 2-step a try.

I would just suggest that you use an extremely moisturizing conditioner afterwards. I'm not a fan of aphogee's step number 2 moisturizing conditioner.

I used to use my own moisturizing conditioner and add honey, olive oil, and coconut oil to it before sitting under the dryer.

hth

naturalmanenyc I can definitely recommend Aphogee 2-step as I have used that with good results and it has stopped shedding in its tracks for me, I'm not keen on the smell of it though. I have a bottle of the Komaza protein strengthener but I'm yet to use it, however, I do prefer the ingredients of the Komaza (not so many fillers) and I have read great reviews on it. Ironically, I was due to try it out last wash day in preparation of my TU, but I didn't have the time.

Komaza protein strengthener:
Designed to mend split ends and control hair breakage by strengthening weak areas in the hair shaft. This treatment should be followed with a deep conditioner. Use every 2-4 weeks. Can be used on all hair textures.

Ingredients:
Hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed silk protein, hydrolyzed collagen, jojoba protein, wheat protein, soy quat protein.

Aphogee 2-step
This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. During the process, ApHogee treatment hardens into the hair, dramatic evidence that something special is occurring. For best results a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment can help improve other salon services as well. This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:
Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
Is over-bleached.
Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
Breaks when combed or brushed.
Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying.

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance

FAQ's on the Aphogee 2-step (from their website)
FAQ - Ask the Hair Expert
Q: How often should the treatment (the one that hardens) be used? Should it be used once a week for 6 weeks or once every 6 weeks?

A: ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment strengthens most hair approximately six weeks. In contrast, most other treatments and conditioners are removed with two or three washings. Because of this, the recommended frequency for ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is once every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on your hair maintenance regimen. If applied more often, it's unlikely that any further benefit will be obtained, assuming the application was done according to directions.

Q: I already use a conditioner at home, why do I need ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for Damaged Hair?

A: Most conditioners do a good job at what they were designed for:

* Rinse type products detangle, add some shine and reduce static. They work on the hair surface
* Moisturizers penetrate and add humectants which regulate hair's moisture balance.
* So called "intensive" products may contain protein, which can act as filler in damaged areas.

While these all help, for the most part, they rinse-out in the next shampoo and must be re-applied. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is different in that it is much more concentrated, fuses into the hair with heat and has been relied upon by salons for decades. ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment lasts far longer than ordinary conditioners.

Q: Can I buy ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for "at home" use?

A: ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is best used with a hood type dryer. Special care must be used during the process not to agitate the hard after hardening. For these reasons ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is best applied by those familiar with performing chemical processes on hair. For others, there are many excellent ApHogee brand maintenance products that are recommended for everyday, home use.

Q: Why does ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment harden?

A: ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a concentrated blend of modified proteins and magnesium. When heat is applied, ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment begins to harden as the bonding and repair process begins. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, the hair becomes supple, but remains much stronger than before.

Q: Can it be used with perms or color?

A: Absolutely! When using ApHogee in conjunction with any chemical process, we recommend using the Treatment a 24-36 hours before the service. Be sure to follow directions. In fact, ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is used on fine, weak hair and very porous hair to make perms and color last longer!

Q: Isn't ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for use in Ethnic Salons only?

A: No, ApHogee brand products are very popular in ethnic salons because of the problems caused by strong chemicals and extreme heat, but it works equally well on Caucasian or Asian hair. In fact, fine, blonde hair, which is easily damaged by chemical processes and styling, responds very well to ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment

As you can see, the Komaza has silk protein in it and is more natural than the Aphogee. Sorry about the long post, just wanted to give you the full pic, HTH

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about this. Emergencee is a great one- it is strengthining yet not drying. Aphogee is good but was drying for me and too much for my natural hair. It really needs a powerful moisturizing DC afterwards.

I currently use powdered milk- either added to my mudwash, or mixed with water.

Another vote for the Komaza Protein Strengthener! I noticed an immediate difference in my hair after one usage. I will be using it for the third time this weekend. It is a great product that works well with my natural product stash!

Although you didn't tag me, I would recommend:

SSI Okra
SSI Fortifying
HV Methi Sativa Set
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler

I just found a half used bottle of Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor as I was packing up a box of products for my cousin. I guess I only used it twice.

I used Komaza for the first time two weeks ago. It was o.k. I guess I will give it a few more tries to see how I really like it. I may use it over night to see how that goes.
If it's still just o.k I may go back to my old school Jherri Rhedding natural protein treatment. Oldie but goodie!

Back