Recommendations for 13yr old's hair?

Sweetyb

Recommendations for 13yr old\'s hair?

Whoo, this post is way overdue; My younger sis' hair has been damaged for the longest time by a hair dresser who kept putting her relaxer all over her hair, rather than just the new growth
shocked.gif
. She also was never consistent on one relaxer product and used a curling iron after the relaxer. Her entire back head was about .5" to an inch of hair (I think I've talked about this on the boards b/4). I've put her hair in braided extentions for the past 2 months and now the back of her head has grown to 1.5" to 2".

Because she has so much new growth, I think she's ready to be touched up by a well trained professional, but I wouldn't know where to begin. She's also having graduation pictures taken soon so I atleast would like her to wear her own hair, and getting a touch-up on her newgrowth is the only thing I can think of.

What type of relaxer would you recommend for her hair? It's 4a/b by the way, and the newgrowth all over her head would be about 1". She also has a dandruff problem; I think it's because she doesn't wash well enough, but if not the case what would you recommend as a part of her regimen? What else would you recommend for her so that her hair can finally grow that a young but often lazy 8th grader can do consistently?

** And if there's anyone in L.A., where is a good salon I can take her to to get her touch up (I don't mind if it's expensive)?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!!
smile.gif

Re: Recommendations for 13yr old\'s hair?

Has she considered going natural? It sounds like her hair needs a SEVERE break from the harsh chemicals...and perms/relaxers/texturizers ARE harsh on the hair. Also, if she wants healthy hair, she HAS to stop being lazY. Period. There is NO way around that. She can't rely on other folks to know what's right for her hair, that's part trial and error. I would definitely suggest that she stay away from heat products...that's the quickest way to damage hair.

What's her diet like? What's her current routine? Does she even have a routine?

Thanks for responding in my time of desperation!!!
wave.gif
Yeah, I tried that b/4 when I was a natural newbie--her hair was in a matted mess all the time because I didn't know how to take care of it like I do now--it sho did grow though. Until she's grown and out of the house, I don't think my mom will let me try that again... not right now
grin.gif

Because my mom opts for a texturizer, I try to make my sis feel comfortable about her relaxed hair, and not talk against it like I used to
nono.gif
. Many of the ladies here on LHCF have taught me that you can grow your hair with a texturizer/relaxer if you take care of it. If that's what my mom wants, then it's should be okay. As long as it's done well by a professional. Your right though, her hair does need a break.

Her Diet--whatever is cooked in the house; lots of rice, pasta, fried rice, chicken... she loves sweets, drinks looots of milk (she's real 'big boneded'); isn't very active.

Her Routine--washing (starting to) atleast once a week, brushing, or shall I say 'raking', her hair, illegedly sprays her hair daily when in braids (her idea of spraying is 5 sprits 'all around')
crazy.gif

My Plan:
I will still keep it in braids inbetween her relaxers to give my mom peace of mind. This will also help stretch out the relaxer.

<font color="red">Emergency Plan:</font>
She's having 8th grade pics taken next Wednesday, so I need to think of something by tomorrow, this weekend at the latest, to have done to her hair. Worst comes to worse, I will just have to redo her braids with her newgrowth and all.
ohwell.gif

Thanks for any help I can get!

Actually, I think it waould be better to do her hair with the new growth. I REALLY don't recommend relaxing hair and then braiding it. I say thes because not only is your hair weak from just being relaxed because you just broke the bonds in it, but them you add additional stress by applying braids which can often cause her fragile hair to snap from the added stress.

Unless you have damaged hair follicles, hair will grow regardless. Try to get her into a routine of eating better and drinking water. You mail also want to check out [url="http://www.notmilk.com"]www.notmilk.com[/url]. That site has a ton of info that the dairy industry would rather you NOT know. I would aslo suggest she get inot a routine of wash, deep condtion, conditon, leave in, style (trim ~every 6 weeks). It sounds like you're going to be responsible for her hair...try to begin giving her more responsibility for it by making her help you with it. Also, don't neglect that you can also put her hair in flat twists, 2-strand twist, cornrows, etc. I have a few pics of twists on my site.

As for the Emergency hair plan, try doing flat twists up into a french roll if her hair is long enough. Or flat twists in front and single 2-strand twists in back...or flat twists up into Bantu knots...Oh, and let's not forget the possibility of a straw set ...girl, sooo many options! Also, if you consider doing the natural thing again, go to www.nappturality.com. It's dedicated to natural hair care for women of color.

I hope this helps! I wish you the best!

Thank you patience for your recommendations
wink.gif
**side note: you've got some very beautiful curls
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
Thank you patience for your recommendations
wink.gif
**side note: you've got some very beautiful curls
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks *blushing*!

**Sorry about the typos/grammar errors...I didn't proof it first!**

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Have you ever heard of "Marc's Lano Lustre"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, as a PJ I'm ashamed to say that I haven't
grin.gif
... what is it for?

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Have you ever heard of "Marc's Lano Lustre"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, as a PJ I'm ashamed to say that I haven't
grin.gif
... what is it for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's designed for aiding hair growth of children. However, adults can use this as a regular hair grooming product or use the HI-POTENCY formula with Vitamin E. It is highly recommended for steam-cap treatments and regular hair &amp; scalp conditioning. For adult females having problems of severe hair damage or hair loss resulting from chemical hair treatments and other causes it will help your problems.

Directions: Shampoo regularly and apply daily or as needed to dry scalp and hair. Massage in to increase circulation through and style as desired.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Lanolin, Glycerin, BHT, Propyl Paraben, PCMX, Perfume.

Questions/Comments: 1(772)255-8735

If you want to try it, I have a 2 oz tube that I'll sell for 99 cents plus shipping!

Back