Recently found out I'm pregnant, should I relax?

Kamilla16

Here is the dilemma!! I found out last week that I'm pregnant :grin: I'm very excited and nervous because I had a missed m/c with our honeymoon baby last oct. Anyways... I was planning on relaxing in May for my graduation (10 weeks post) . I already have an inch of new growth and its driving me crazy. Thing is that I will be only 8-9 weeks pregnant, Would you relax during this time? or am I screwed?!?

Hmmm a lot of ladies don't, but I don't see the harm in doing so. Things like that don't effect the hormones nearly enough to inflict any damage on the embryo. However, because of your history, I can't blame you for taking a step back and exerting some caution. All else fails ask your doctor.

Congrats!!

I'm currently pregnant as well after having a miscarriage. I'm taking every precaution, and using this time as reason to transistion to natural hair. Congrats on the baby!!

I heard NOT to...my friends would all wig/weave it up when they were preggos and after the baby was born, their hair was GORGEOUSSSSS! Also, avoid nail shops/getting ur nails done....so ihear (b/c of the chemicals)
CONGRATS :-)

Thanks you guys... Although with my rate of growth I have no idea how I'm going to deal with all new growth. Maybe I'll get a sew in?!? Atleast until the 2nd trimester... Has anyone relaxed in their 1st trimester with no problems?

Thanks you guys... Although with my rate of growth I have no idea how I'm going to deal with all new growth. Maybe I'll get a sew in?!? Atleast until the 2nd trimester... Has anyone relaxed in their 1st trimester with no problems?

I've been hiding my hair that last 6 weeks under a half wig or crochet braids. My skin and scalp is acting crazy so I'm not going to take a chance of having an unusual reaction to the chemicals. It is a struggle. I was 8 weeks post when I found out I was pregnant. Now I'm 20 weeks post. I've never ever streched this long. 12-14 weeks max. My hair tangles something serious if I stretch too long.

Congrats on your baby! Plenty of women relax during pregnancy....it's one of those old hair myths that has lingered, along with coloring hair while preggo.

ETA: I would wait until after the first trimester though.

Congrats on your baby! Plenty of women relax during pregnancy....it's one of those old hair myths that has lingered, along with coloring hair while preggo.

ETA: I would wait until after the first trimester though.

Yeah. I'd figured it was good to wait until 2nd trimester, but at my graduation I will only be 10 weeks along.

Congrats to the newly preggo mommies!!!

Thanks ladies... I see there are people leaning on both sides of the issues. I think I will ask my OB to see what she thinks. I'm leaning towards waiting until my 2md trimester.. But sorta bummed because I wanted to REVEAL my hair during graduation :(

Congrats on the pregnancy :]

I've read in quite a few places that relaxing during pregnancy isn't harmful to the baby, but there's a general consensus that it's best to wait until after the first trimester and not to get them too frequently. Also, have your relaxer done in a well ventalited area. I would definetly get your OB/GYN's opinion on it though just to be sure.

I relaxed during the 2nd trimester with no problems. Plus, my pregnancy was after a miscarriage too. I did a lot of PS and low manipulation styles and my hair flourish. The postpardom phase was another story.

I'm currently pregnant as well after having a miscarriage. I'm taking every precaution, and using this time as reason to transistion to natural hair. Congrats on the baby!!

meecee this is exactly what I did. I have tried transitioning many times, and when I was pregnant was the ONLY time I could stick to it!!

I relaxed the first trimester. Like the first month or second month I think. I didn't know I was pregnant at the time. But no bad adverse affects. He's a healthy baby boy. And driving mommy crazy:lachen:

Thanks ladies... I see there are people leaning on both sides of the issues. I think I will ask my OB to see what she thinks. I'm leaning towards waiting until my 2md trimester.. But sorta bummed because I wanted to REVEAL my hair during graduation :(

can't you just get it flat ironed at a salon?

I tried getting it flat ironed last weekend... It didn't cut it! I have an inch of new growth and can't imagine what it will be like in 5 weeks!!

Not to mention.. My graduation ceremony is outside!!

I had a friend who couldn't but only because the relaxer wouldn't take when she got it relaxed. Congrats

That was my issue with relaxing during my pregnancy. The relaxer didn't take so by the end of my pregnancy I was stretching my relaxers 12 to 14 weeks.

:congrats: on yor pregnancy btw.

Congradumalations!!!! I was gonna suggest maybe a dominican blow out (if your hair can handle heat) however, outside, heat, hair go poof... Maybe a nice sew in :yep:

Congratulations!

I wouldn't do it!

I asked a midwife if it was okay to color the hair during pregnancy and she said No. She said everything that you put on your skin is absorbed...think about nicotine plasters etc. The skin is like a sponge.

Contrary to what people believe its okay to relax. Its not actually putting the relaxer on your scalp its the smell and in order to have it be an issue you would have to like put your face in the jar and deeply inhale. Lol if it were really an issue stylists would not be able to work pregnant and most do but if you arent comfortable have a talk with your doctor and see. Congrats mommy! I am so happy for you. :kiss:

Back