RAVE -- Aloe Vera, Shikakai, Filtered Water -- Best Hair Ever

adw425

I have good hair days all the time since discovering LHCF. My hair is always wonderful, with few exceptions. Some days my hair is more wonderful than other days, but that is the way of things...Yesterday, the aloe vera thread got me thinking how much I really love aloe vera and how good it is for hair and how I am so inconsistent using it. Therefore, when I got hom from work, I poured some aloe vera drink in a spray bottle with filtered water. First I spritzed my hair just with filtered water to dampen it. Secondly, I saturated my hair with the water and aloe vera drink. I got on my Gazelle exerciser for a few minutes until my hair dried some. Then, I saturated it with my shikakai infusion that I made up Saturday. [I put some shikakai powder in my muslin baggie and infused in filtered water for two hours with rosemary, nettle and burdock. I put in a spray bottle and added a few drops of tea tree oil and honeyquat as preservatives.]

I exercised some more and then went to take my bath. I settled in the tub with a good book and a glass of Pepsi. About 15 minutes in, I got out the tub and rinsed my hair in the shower for about 30 seconds to rinse out the aloe vera and shikakai infusions which had marinated in my hair about 45 minutes at that point. When I got out the tub, I put some VO5 Juicy Mango Passion in my hair. Now usually I saturate my hair with conditioner, but I just used a little conditioner last night. I left the conditioner in for three minutes and then got in the shower and rinsed -- hair was soooooo soft, no tangles in sight and silky. I had installed my new shower filter when I got home from work, by the way.

After rinsing, my hair felt like I had deep conditioned it, curl pattern was loose and my hair was uber-soft with slip. (I have only used the word slip in one other post and that was describing hair that had already dried.) I put some of the aloe vera mixed with filtered water in an applicator bottle and put on my scalp and scalp-rush was incredible -- tingle-city, way more than with peppermint oil or cayenne pepper concoctions. I then spritzed a small amount of Ojon revitalizing mist all over and put my hair in a ponytail as per usual. I smoothed a dime size amount of my olive butter over the front of my hair from forehead to crown and then spritzed my whole head with the aloe vera and filtered water. I slept in a satin scarf as usual.

I woke up with the softest hair I have ever had and my hair probably in the best condition of my life. My hair hung beautifully and it was fluffy with just this incredible bounce and body. I could have just gone ahead and left it down. As I did not want to mess up a good thing, I was skeptical about putting the hand lotion on my hair this morning, but I put about a dime-size in my hair which caused the longest parts to just wave up beautifully and the shorter parts to just curl beautifully. I have this huge bun now. My curl/wave pattern is just about non-existent. My hair is incredibly shiney and the smoothness and softest is just absolutely amazing.

I am not sure what contributed most to the condition of my hair -- the filtered water, the aloe vera or the shikakai or whether this was just an incredibly synergistic combination. I just know that today I have the best looking and best feeling (and best-conditioned-feeling, if that makes any sense) hair of my life!

I make my own moisture spray with Aloe Vera, Glycerine and filtered water. I looooooooooove it. It's the only thing that moisturizes the really coarse part of my nape which is prone to breakage. I seal it with a cream moisturizer, and follow that up with a tiny bit of oil. I noticed that my hair is super soft and fluffy when I take it down.

What kind of hand lotion did you use in your hair?

Also - Í'm interested in the Shikakai infusion - did you do it in a crock pot or steep it like tea?

Thanks!!

The lotion I use is just some lotion from Maxwell that cost $1.00 mixed with Fruit of the Earth cocoa butter (it could be shea butter, I do not remember) lotion. I detailed the ingredients in the Vaseline Intensive Care lotion for hair thread.

I used my potpourri crock pot (just like the Little Dipper and it is also by Rival, but it did not come with a top, so I just put a saucer on top of it). I used my three by five muslin herb bag (they cost 15 cents each from Monterey Bay Spice Company) and filled it three quarters of the way with shikakai powder. I threw in some Alvita rosemary, burdock and nettle and gotu kola/tulsi tea bags that I bought from Whole Foods and let steep in the filtered water for two to three hours. I poured it in a spray bottle. I have used it all week and, although it made my hair very soft, my hair did not feel like it felt last night, so the aloe vera and definitely rinsing in filtered water instead of chlorinated, mineralized/metalized, hard water (probably exaggerating about the badness of the water, but probably not by much...) made a huge difference. My hair's moisture retention is just ridiculous and the strands appear so much thicker...

Last edited:
I have good hair days all the time since discovering LHCF. My hair is always wonderful, with few exceptions. Some days my hair is more wonderful than other days, but that is the way of things...Yesterday, the aloe vera thread got me thinking how much I really love aloe vera and how good it is for hair and how I am so inconsistent using it. Therefore, when I got hom from work, I poured some aloe vera drink in a spray bottle with filtered water. First I spritzed my hair just with filtered water to dampen it. Secondly, I saturated my hair with the water and aloe vera drink. I got on my Gazelle exerciser for a few minutes until my hair dried some. Then, I saturated it with my shikakai infusion that I made up Saturday. [I put some shikakai powder in my muslin baggie and infused in filtered water for two hours with rosemary, nettle and burdock. I put in a spray bottle and added a few drops of tea tree oil and honeyquat as preservatives.]

I exercised some more and then went to take my bath. I settled in the tub with a good book and a glass of Pepsi. About 15 minutes in, I got out the tub and rinsed my hair in the shower for about 30 seconds to rinse out the aloe vera and shikakai infusions which had marinated in my hair about 45 minutes at that point. When I got out the tub, I put some VO5 Juicy Mango Passion in my hair. Now usually I saturate my hair with conditioner, but I just used a little conditioner last night. I left the conditioner in for three minutes and then got in the shower and rinsed -- hair was soooooo soft, no tangles in sight and silky. I had installed my new shower filter when I got home from work, by the way.

After rinsing, my hair felt like I had deep conditioned it, curl pattern was loose and my hair was uber-soft with slip. (I have only used the word slip in one other post and that was describing hair that had already dried.) I put some of the aloe vera mixed with filtered water in an applicator bottle and put on my scalp and scalp-rush was incredible -- tingle-city, way more than with peppermint oil or cayenne pepper concoctions. I then spritzed a small amount of Ojon revitalizing mist all over and put my hair in a ponytail as per usual. I smoothed a dime size amount of my olive butter over the front of my hair from forehead to crown and then spritzed my whole head with the aloe vera and filtered water. I slept in a satin scarf as usual.

I woke up with the softest hair I have ever had and my hair probably in the best condition of my life. My hair hung beautifully and it was fluffy with just this incredible bounce and body. I could have just gone ahead and left it down. As I did not want to mess up a good thing, I was skeptical about putting the hand lotion on my hair this morning, but I put about a dime-size in my hair which caused the longest parts to just wave up beautifully and the shorter parts to just curl beautifully. I have this huge bun now. My curl/wave pattern is just about non-existent. My hair is incredibly shiney and the smoothness and softest is just absolutely amazing.

I am not sure what contributed most to the condition of my hair -- the filtered water, the aloe vera or the shikakai or whether this was just an incredibly synergistic combination. I just know that today I have the best looking and best feeling (and best-conditioned-feeling, if that makes any sense) hair of my life!

Which shower filter did you purchase?

I installed mine yesterday too.Softest hair ever!It Doesn't even look like my hair:drunk:

I'm in love..

Sprite from Bestfilters.com. I could have gotten a shower filter from anywhere, but I also wanted the bath tub bath ball dechlorinator and bestfilters.com had both...

With my use of hand lotion as a hair moisturizer and just things from my kitchen like yogurt, honey, protein powder, aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, eggs, mayo, olive oil, buttermilk, etc., I do not need to buy any more hair products, but I love buying things for my hair, so decided to buy a filter -- just kind of arbitrarily.

Although I did see tap water on the list of carcinogenics a few months ago, since I do not drink tap water, I kind of put it out of my mind until this week. The research said that your body can absorb 57% more chlorine into your body in the shower than in actually drinking a glass of tap water. The research also said that chlorine in tap water destroys protein in your body AND HAIR and can cause hardening of the arteries, cancer, anemia, high blood pressure....I take long baths or showers daily and I believe that all the chlorine my body and hair has absorbed has probably counteracted some of the really healthy/positive things I have done for my hair and skin as well as for my body. However, after researching, I just bought the filters for better overall health -- wanting softer hair and skin became a distant second....

Last edited:
Sprite from Bestfilters.com. I could have gotten a shower filter from anywhere, but I also wanted the bath tub bath ball dechlorinator and bestfilters.com had both...

With my use of hand lotion as a hair moisturizer and just things from my kitchen like yogurt, honey, protein powder, aloe vera, eggs, mayo, olive oil, buttermilk, etc., I do not need to buy any more hair products, but I love buying things for my hair, so decided to buy a filter -- just kind of arbitrarily.

Although I did see tap water on the list of carcinogenics a few months ago, since I do not drink tap water, I kind of put it out of my mind until this week. The research said that your body can absorb 57% more chlorine into your body in the shower than in actually drinking a glass of tap water. The research also said that chlorine in tap water destroys protein in your body AND HAIR and can cause hardening of the arteries, cancer, anemia, high blood pressure....I take long baths or showers daily and I believe that all the chlorine my body and hair has absorbed has probably counteracted some of the really positive things I have done for my hair and skin. However, after researching, I just bought the filters for better overall health, wanting softer hair and skin became a distant second....

Okay, thanks for responding! And I appreciate such a thorough review. It helped me to decide to purchase a filter also.

I've been contemplating it for a while now. I just didnt know which kind of filter to get. There are so many. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for sharing this information. I wish I can get a filter for my dorm but, that's basically unlikely. I'm going to try something with the aloe vera soon though. It looks like its doing well for everyone.

ADW425, Can you give more information on the shower filter and how's it's going for you I might be interested in buying one. So please update on how's the progress is working for you. Thanks in advance

I can absolutely co-sign the use of the Sprite shower filter. I bought mine last week from Amazon.com. Not only does my hair feel fantastic, my skin is silky smooth too. It's only been a week, but I can already tell this was worth while investment. This is the one I bought:

Sprite Massaging Handheld Chlorine Shower Filter Unit with Replaceable Filter pre-installed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E4AO9E

Rak1209: I just went to Chicago and told all of my family and friends to please get a shower filter at the very least because the research has frightened me some as to what soaking and showering in tap water can do to ones body/health. I was there to attend a funeral (friend died of cancer) and a friend of mine complimented me on my hair as did my mom,sister and several other assorted folks and aloe vera was the other two words (besides shower filter) that kept coming out of my mouth.

I started using the aloe vera and the shower filter on the same night, so I am not sure which is having the most positive effect. However, it is probably the aloe that has thickened my hair and done amazing things for its texture. Rinsing in filtered water helps with its amazing softness. My parents do not have a shower filter and I never got to a store to buy them one. When I got home last night, I went right to bed (after saturating my hair in filtered water, shikakai and aloe vera last night, which I now just have in one bottle). When I got in the shower this morning and rinsed, my hair said thank you, thank you, thank you. It just immediately felt a thousand times softer/better.

Also, now one night, I will use my oil concoction on my scalp, which has aloe vera in it, but the next night, I just use diluted aloe vera juice and you immediately feel its stimulating effect on the scalp.

Anyway, I have alot of emails to send now to several friends in Chicago on my regimen and recommendations and benefits of things like aloe vera, ect. and I am excited and happy to do so.

I can absolutely co-sign the use of the Sprite shower filter. I bought mine last week from Amazon.com. Not only does my hair feel fantastic, my skin is silky smooth too. It's only been a week, but I can already tell this was worth while investment. This is the one I bought:

Sprite Massaging Handheld Chlorine Shower Filter Unit with Replaceable Filter pre-installed

Ive had this water filter since I moved to Texas. It's a really is good filter. I recommend it for everyone who doesn't have NYC water which is not bad out of the tap.

That's the one I bought as well -- the handheld because I give Cinnabon and Charlie their baths in the shower. I noticed a difference in how soft their fur was after bathing them, now that I think about it (smile).

I make my own moisture spray with Aloe Vera, Glycerine and filtered water. I looooooooooove it. It's the only thing that moisturizes the really coarse part of my nape which is prone to breakage. I seal it with a cream moisturizer, and follow that up with a tiny bit of oil. I noticed that my hair is super soft and fluffy when I take it down.

What kind of hand lotion did you use in your hair?

Also - Í'm interested in the Shikakai infusion - did you do it in a crock pot or steep it like tea?

Thanks!!

I will have to give this a try b/c I am in need of a moisture spray. thanks so much for sharing/posting

Wow...This thread came back to life (smile). Still working for me....I believe the very best things I have done for my hair I have discovered in the last five months -- yogurt, shikakai, aloe vera, shower filter...I use aloe vera on my hair and scalp daily now and cannot ever envision a time when I will stop. A couple weeks ago I was puzzled as to why the 100% aloe vera did not work when the aloe vera (both drink/juice and gel) that I mix with my goji and acai juice works wonders and I figured out that it was because the food grade stuff contains purified water and my hair does better with water-based products.

i want a shower filter now :(
i have no idea if the water is hard here in copenhagen.
how do i test that?

Co-signing, I've also been using Aloe Vera Juice/Water with jojoba oil since June and I also use a shower filter. I like the results too.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I had a sprite but I'm in Houston "worst water in US" so I just upgraded to aquasana sprite didn't give me any results but the aquasana has 2 stage filtering so it'll be much better. They even have coupons so that helps. I'd advise anyone to just read the reviews and blogs on filters. That's what helped me decide. They also have a 90 day money back guarantee and promise you'll feel a difference in a week.

Back