*Rant* Neck Length Hair Styling

05girl

Ugh! I'm frustrated. Beginning to feel like I just can't WIN when it comes to my hair.

My hair has pretty much always been somewhere between Neck Length and Shoulder Length.. longer than a bob, but barely grazing my shoulders.

I'm 10 weeks post relaxer transitioning. Decided to transition because of CCCA loss at my crown and then loss at my edges. I believe edge-loss to be caused by wrapping my hair, so I've tried to avoid wrapping.

But my protective styles are never great. My hair is shorter at the crown, and kinda different lengths all over, so IMO it looks a bit crazy when I try to twist out/braid out. I pincurl, but that means the hair looks short (which I hate) and all retro-poofy-in-a-bad-way. Another annoying thing about pincurling is that if the curls get messed up (like say, sleeping and causing a curl to get smushed), I have to apply heat to fix. So NOW I'm using more heat than ever!

I just want long hair for once in my life! :sad: sigh.

have you considered braids or maybe weaving it up?

don't be discouraged. there are many ladies here who were once right where you are and now have long, healthy hair. you can do it :yep:

If your hair is long enough just do twist-out, braid-out, Bantu knots, pin-curls, roller-sets om perm-rods. I know how it feels to have hair that's in that awkward stage because now I'm finally out of the TWA and now in this new awkward stage I just do wash and goes.

My hair was like that because of layers where it never looked right in a wet set. What I did to get me through the entire growback process was ....

either flat-iron, wet set or braid it out and then pin the back of it up as if it was a tapered bob. It fooled everybody and the unevenness wasn't even noticeable and I still looked stylish.

Hairsnob - what kind of pins would I use to pin up the back for a tapered bob? Big thick ones? I also have trouble (breakage) growing out the hair at my nape, so I worry pinning at the nape would hinder that growth...
Also, how did you wetset ?

Thanks!

Hairsnob - what kind of pins would I use to pin up the back for a tapered bob? Big thick ones? I also have trouble (breakage) growing out the hair at my nape, so I worry pinning at the nape would hinder that growth...
Also, how did you wetset ?

Thanks!

I used regular old bobby pins or hair pins, only one. I would put the back in kind of a plait first and then pin the plait up and tuck it underneath the rest of the hair.

I wore the flat-ironed bob more than any other time. Actually, the pic in my siggy (my starting pic) shows the bob I used to wear and the back was pinned up there while I was growing out my tapered cut. My nape was probably a couple of inches long but you'd never know.

But to wet set I remember using something like Lotta boddy or something like that. It's been so long since I've done one. But that was before LHCF and I probably wouldn't use that now so I can't really tell you what to use now.

HTH!!

ETA: I'm attaching a larger pic of the fake bob. My hair was a mess that day because it was really windy.

Attachments

• pre-LHCF.jpg
    pre-LHCF.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back