Random strands of hair. Help.

summerof1990

Okay I think I'm doing everything under the sun to retain length. i don't comb the ends of my hair period to prevent breakage. I only comb and brush the roots and just a little further down.

I want to know why at the ends of my hair i can pull out little strands? It would be like little loose strands that i can just gently tug out of my hair...it can't be shedded hair because i don't see a white tip. Could it be breakage from the top that ended up stuck? Do i need a trim? How can i stop this?

If you don't comb out the ends are you not experiencing tangles and knots at the ends? Have you tried finger detangling if you don't want to use a comb/brush? I believe it takes some time to get the level of moisture/protein balance that will prevent breakage.
regardless....here's a bump for you:grin:

If you don't comb out the ends are you not experiencing tangles and knots at the ends? Have you tried finger detangling if you don't want to use a comb/brush? I believe it takes some time to get the level of moisture/protein balance that will prevent breakage.
regardless....here's a bump for you:grin:

im not getting tangles at the ends i think its from when im combing the top of my head the breakage eventually ends up at the ends.i do notice little frizzy strands of hair that seems weak. hopefully i can solve this real soon. I wish i could comb my ends without worrying about breakage so i just dont do it so i can retain

Do comb out the ends of your hair, even if it's not with a comb or brush etc, at least comb it out with your fingers.

It could be that you're getting tangles and knots at your ends.

Frizzies - could it be your ph balance is off? Have you tried a diluted ACV rinse?

maybe my ph balance IS off if ur talking about protein and moisture balance.
will acv rinse get it back on track immediately? or do u have to continue to do it. it seems like nothing works for me lol i will look into the acv rinse

PH balance allows the strands to lay down leaving your hair smooth. Our hairs ph is 4.5-5.5 if your products are higher (likely) they will cause your cuticles to raise. An ACV rinse helps lower back your PH levels and thus allow your cuticles to lay down.
Are you relaxed or natural? Relaxed - is there a line of demarcation that you're dealing with perhaps?

Just because you aren't combing out the ends does not mean you are not shedding hair. It just means the shed hair is getting caught at the end of your hair. You may actually experience less loss if you detangle from the bottom up. I think that is what the random strands are.

My roomate in college used to do the same thing, and I never understood why.

PH balance allows the strands to lay down leaving your hair smooth. Our hairs ph is 4.5-5.5 if your products are higher (likely) they will cause your cuticles to raise. An ACV rinse helps lower back your PH levels and thus allow your cuticles to lay down.
Are you relaxed or natural? Relaxed - is there a line of demarcation that you're dealing with perhaps?

im relaxed.

Just because you aren't combing out the ends does not mean you are not shedding hair. It just means the shed hair is getting caught at the end of your hair. You may actually experience less loss if you detangle from the bottom up. I think that is what the random strands are.

My roomate in college used to do the same thing, and I never understood why.

i do understand that hair sheds regardess. but im doing it for breakage reasons..theres a difference between breakage and shedding. maybe its the hair that breaks off when im combing the top i dont know. thanks though and i understand where your roomate was coming from!!

If you are doing this for breakage - try finger detangling...I'm like all over the hair board singing the praises as if I get money for it but really...finger detangling during air drying has been amazing for me:yep:

First of all stop following what others are doing and do what is right for your hair.

If you are not fulling combing your hair sometimes how do you ensure the leave-in you are using is getting to all the strands.

You should not be getting so much breakage

Maybe your leave-in is not sufficient.

I have relaxed hair as well and I comb from ends to tip 2-4x's a week, its dependant on how I am wearing my hair.

I was getting little breakage like that early this year. I soon discovered MY hair needed more protein. I had to lay off so much moisture. I also dont seal anymore. My hair is much happier.

This week my hair is in curls. I put my hair on satin covered rollers and flexi-rods to preserve the style. I comb the ends every other day to ensure they are laying on the roller correctly so I dont have any frizziness.

We have to do what is right for our hair.

What combs are you using.

The main ones I use are
This is my primary comb: Sallys shower comb: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shower-comb/SBS-680529,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH
AND
http://www.colonialmedical.com/product.php?productid=22826

I use this one very sparingly because at times it was breaking my hair. I have to move very slowly

Last edited:
I started a thread like this a couple of weeks ago. It bothered me because I was thinking my hair was longer but when I'd go to pull the strand down for a length check those few long strands would come out. I didn't have crazy breakage or anything but it still bothered me.

I took the advice of the ladies and stopped clarifying every 2 wks because it was drying my hair out. I'm also relaxed and a low-heat user so this wash I also skipped the heat altogether and didn't do the heat spray and my hair felt sooooo soft and no hairs coming out when I pulled it.

Here's that thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=556295

I started a thread like this a couple of weeks ago. It bothered me because I was thinking my hair was longer but when I'd go to pull the strand down for a length check those few long strands would come out. I didn't have crazy breakage or anything but it still bothered me.

I took the advice of the ladies and stopped clarifying every 2 wks because it was drying my hair out. I'm also relaxed and a low-heat user so this wash I also skipped the heat altogether and didn't do the heat spray and my hair felt sooooo soft and no hairs coming out when I pulled it.

Here's that thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=556295

okay maybe it could be me shampooing my hair every week doing this i dont know. i use garlic shampoo every week and i guess it has the clarifying agent thats doing this. i'll see.

The garlic shampoo is drying out your hair. Reduce your usage to every two weeks or month, and cowash instead. I would also add a protein-based conditioner. How are you styling your hair? I see your brushing your roots, so that makes me believe you're wearing updos, which are great.

Back