Random Hair Thought...

Geminigirl

Ok I was just thinking about this post I read awhile back. Someone was talking about when you go to the salon to hold a mirror up and watch the stylists as she cuts your hair. Just to be cautious. Which I think is a good idea and I plan to do it next time I go to a salon.

Anyways, I was thinking about how all the times I would go to the salon they would usually ALWAYS face me away from the mirror while they did my hair, but in the movies I would see them face the mirror while they got their hair done. I remember even back then, thinking this was odd. I believe when I lived in TN the few times I ever went to the salon I was always facing the mirror but more so when I moved to the east I noticed that they did this. They'd always cut me back up to NL every visit. I was doing some damage to my hair but my hair was shiny and had some bounce.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so were you satisfied with the results of your hair? I haven't been to a salon out here but if and when I do go, I plan to ask to face the mirror the whole time. That's not too much to ask right?

I have always sat facing the mirror and usually there are multiple mirrors so you can always see what they are doing.
Its important to make sure there is no tomfoolery going on there :-)

I haven't been to a salon in AGES. But yea, I remember it always seemed like the stylist faced me away from the mirror too.

wore my hair out last weekend for my cousins wedding and got 2 weave checks... i knew i would... it was funny
i'm so in love with my hair right now.... protective styles have really paid off for me
maybe by the end of the year i'll be mbl, in the back... working on the sides

I went to the salon every 2 weeks for years. I always sat facing away from the mirror :(:perplexed

dang i never noticed that until this thread Gemini. that is wierd. i wonder why at 'other' salons, the customer is faced toward the mirror, and in our salons, we aren't.

I'm spoiled, I'm always facing the mirror when I get my trims:grin:

On the rare occasion I go to the salon, they know the sheriff's in town lmao I tell them how they're gonna wash my hair and how they're gonna set/press it lol but they always do what I want or try to compromise with me if they really believe in doing something a certain way, its a very classy professional environment. And they know when I say trim......I mean TRIM and they never overstep their boundaries. I'm always ok with the way they give me my trim as a result and they always make sure to show me how much their taking off all the time so I'm less nervous that way.

They don't even bother to ask me to come back in two weeks for whatever service they just say we recommend this DC when you do your hair next time:lol: I usually go to them annualy/semi-annually but I think I may bump that up to twice a year:scratchch....depends on the state of my ends....

As wonderful as that salon is, I think imma start havin my best friends cousin trim my hair, she's been trained and working at a high end black owned salon for years now so I can definitely trust her:yep: that way I'll have zero expenses when it comes to my hair besides my products.....thats a good look:cool2:

Last edited:
When I've gone to the salon (ethnic or non-ethnic) I've always faced the mirror. I can't imagine not facing it when someone is doing my hair. Interesting to know that not all stylist do this when doing hair.

That's why I stopped going to the Beauty Shop for trims and I go to Supercuts. They're nice and slow, methodical, and I face the mirror the entire time. I especially like the way they ASK me before they cut, "is here ok?" "In the back would you prefer it here in an angled style, or straight across?" I feel so comfortable and I'm always happy with the results.

I have been thinking of going to one of those kind of salons like super cuts or something. Im not sure yet. I do want to get a trim soon but haven't even really looked into it.

Back