QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become difficicult

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I've noticed that quite a few people are transitioning (myself included). As I am in the early stages of my transition, I am not having many difficulties. Out of curiousity...

What month into your transition did you experience difficulties with your two textures?

What did you do to remedy the situation?

Re: QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become diffici

For me, it was right around the 24 month mark. By then, the two textures were driving me crazy...plus I really wanted to sport WnGs. One day I was looking in the mirror, got frustrated and started cutting.

It was the best decision for me.:yep:

Re: QUICK QUESTION: What month in your transition did things start to become diffici

around the 6th month, again around 11 months, again around 15 months. When I got to this point I put braids in to give myself a break from my hair for a few months

Around month 4-5 I made a HUGE mistake. I deep conditioned my hair for who knows how long, rinsed, but didn't comb through a LI. BIG mistake! Big! Huge! It was the first time as a grown woman that I've cried. My SO had to comb my hair, I couldn't get through it.

My solution: well, I've had super-short hair before, so I cut that puppy off :grin:. It was 10 months before I was fully natural, but my "BC" came at 7 months. I cut off around 10 inches of hair then. My beautician refused to cut off all the relaxed ends due to uneven growth, but within 4 months the rest was gone as well.

I'd say about the 5th month. I upped my moisture and began finger detangling instead of using my comb. I also starting wearing wigs as a protective style.

6 months. I started pulling my hair back and pinning it with bobby pins. I may have discovered Knot Today at this time.

@8 months and I have been in braids since. Closing in on 13 months post soon and plan to take a break from braids in a few weeks to see if things are better.

I got super frustrated at month 9. Specifically, I was frustrated with the detangling. It had been about 2 weeks since I'd washed my hair for the sole reason that I didn't want to detangle. I knew the only way I'd wash my hair again is if I relaxed it or if I cut it. My solution: BC.

Neva. I wore my hair straight the entire transition so nobody woulda even known unless I washed in front of them. I got excited about my texture and tired, emotional, etc and bc'd after almost a year.

Around 6 months and then about every 3 months until I chopped at 18. I just had to keep finding different ways to detangle (e.g. oils, detanglers, different conditioners, pre-pooing)

Hey LaFemmeNaturelle! Dang can a sista get some update pix? I know you're in school and all but I'm pretty sure you had a winter break...mmmmhhhmmmmm....lol

Month 7-9 was a beyotch for sure for me.

6months, 12 months, and again around 15 months. I remedied this by getting a sew in so I couldn't get frustrated with my hair because I couldn't see it. After getting sew ins for a few months, my hair had grown longer and was less frustrating with the textures. I never chopped, just small trims. One day I took down a sew in and my hair was pretty much all natural. Now when I get tired, I wig it or weave it.

Month 7. I literally sat looking at my hair in the mirror and cried. I was going to do an 18 month transition, but that was shaved down to 10 months instead.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

Around six months, I had to switch my strategy. I had mini-chopped and could no longer bun, which had been my go to style previously. From here on out I had to rely on twist/braidouts. At ten months (this was in June), the weather started scorching and my relaxed hair refused to stay in a braidout or twistout. I had done a second mini-chop so I still couldn't bun, leaving me with what I saw as no choice: I finally chopped in my 11th month post-relaxer. Detangling was never very difficult since I took my time and had fun playing with new styles in the process, what made transitioning difficult was the weather and my styling capabilities resulting from my mini chops (about 4-6 inches each time). If you find an easy style to maintain and aren't open to experimenting, my advice is cut only split ends until you're ready to chop completely because that style may no longer be an option.

20 weeks for me the first time I tried. Got so frustrated with the two textures I ended up relaxing. So, the next time I didn't even try, I just BC'd.

6 months the first time. I usually stretched my relaxers every six months anyway, but I just didnt know what to do after that point. I had to switch my game around. I ran into a problem again at 12 months. My hair was super thick with super thin ends. Thats also when I BC'd.

Around month 5. So I got a sew-in. BIG mistake :nono: I kept it in for 3 months. I cried while taking it down :cry3:

around the 6th month, again around 11 months, again around 15 months. When I got to this point I put braids in to give myself a break from my hair for a few months

The bolded for me also. I ended up getting Senegalese twists at 12 mths and BC'd at 13 mths. But around the 6 mth mark, I wore more buns and updos. Also two strand flat twists with rollers on the end helped to blend the textures.

Months 7-9 was the ugly stage. My hair was dry as the sahara. I didn't think I would make it.

Neva. I wore my hair straight the entire transition so nobody woulda even known unless I washed in front of them. I got excited about my texture and tired, emotional, etc and bc'd after almost a year.

I've been wearing my hair straight too. It'll be 8 mos on the 20th. No problems yet, although I'm ready to start wearing curly styles. I've been considering BCing soon. I'm trying to wait til May which will be one year.

I would say months 6-9 were difficult for me. I was impatient, wanting to get pass the one year mark. Also, just figuring out hairstyles pained me.

But, so far so good. I'm in my twenties now and things are good.

My first transitions pre-LHCF, I caved at 6 months and relaxed but back then things got rough around WEEK 10! With my 2nd and successful transition it never got difficult. I was pretty proactive with styling and washing and I BCed at 11 months. It may have gotten harder the longer I waited but I didn't stay around to find out.

I'm transitioning currently, on month 6, and it's been hella easy. However, that's probably because all I do is have my hair in twists. I get kinky twists for about a month, take em down, shampoo, use a reconstructor, steam, blowdry and get em back up in twists for another month. I don't even see how this could ever get "hard" ... my only problem will be boredom with the twists... after which I might just switch up my PS into a weave or wig.

It helps that I love how I look with twists more than I do with straight hair. lol.

Now.

I want to run back to the relaxer but it is not good for me. My hair is super dry and thick in the roots. I have about 5 inchs new growth with thin ends. today I have a french roll. most of the time I wear a bun.

So to stay where I am at I have to wet it and use grease to manage it.

Month 6 or 7.... I refused to deal with the 2 textures. Remedy: BIG CHOP!:yep:

8 - 10 months and 16th month. My hair became very dry, tangly, etc. My hair would not perform right for any style. Did a lot of wigging to get through those times until I just cut it.

At 3 months the two textures started fighting like cats and dogs :lol:, by month 5 i couldn't take it anymore so i bc'd

Back