Questions you wanted too ask about haircare

ChosenbyGod said:

A pre-poo is a moisturizing hair treatment before you shampoo. What you do during your pre-poo can vary, some ladies apply a cheap conditioner such as V05 w/some kind of oil, like EVOO, and sit under the dryer for 15-30 minutes or wear a plastic cap for 30 min to an hour. Or for some ladies, a pre-poo is a hot oil treatment under the dryer for 30 minutes.
The purpose is to supply the hair with moisture.
Question(s): If you shampoo right after doing a pre-poo treatment, wouldn't the pre-poo serve no purpose? Wouldn't the shampoo wash out and strip the moisture back out of your hair??? Do you really need to follow the procedure of a pre-poo, then shampoo, then condition??? Why not just shampoo and condition??? :confused:

vangrey said:
@crystal: here is an article on hair growth
at http://www.skinbiology.com

Hair length and growth

Hair grows at a faster rate in the spring and summer than in autumn and winter - a fact that often is used to "prove" that certain hair growth remedies stimulate hair growth. The growth rate is however very much related to the individual person, his age, his diet etc. The lifetime of the anagen phase is responsible for the maximum of hair length you can have. Waist length hair takes about 5 years to grow out from a short hair cut, periodic trims included. If your hair has a lifecyle of 2 years, you will never achieve a nice waist length mane. In rare families, long hair cycles are combined with rapid hair growth - producing floor length hair in women.

I don't agree. I believe that everybody has the ability to grow long hair with proper care and good nutrition. Just because your Mother has short hair does not mean that your genetically destined to have short hair also. The best example is my cousin and her mother (my aunt). When they take care of their hair properly it grows just as long and pretty as my Mother and my other Aunt's hair, but once they get back on that daily curling iron habit. It breaks off faster than you can believe.

ChosenbyGod said:
1. Do conditioners with labels that read," Leave on for 3 minutes and rinse" really do anything? I mean, is 3 minutes enough? It seems like a waste of product.

I never follow the label, lol! If it says 3 minutes than I leave it on for 30 minutes. If it says anything longer than 5 minutes, I just leave it on overnight.
Gotta make sure every strand gets well fed for my moneys worth. :lol:

Not saying I recommend this for everyone but it works for me!

divinefavor said:
Thanks ChosenbyGod. Is this done by wetting your hair first or just applying the oil to the scalp before putting on a cap?

Some people may wet their hair first, but I don't. When I do a pre-poo I use a V05 conditioner and oil and put on a cap.

Poohbear said:
Question(s): If you shampoo right after doing a pre-poo treatment, wouldn't the pre-poo serve no purpose? Wouldn't the shampoo wash out and strip the moisture back out of your hair??? Do you really need to follow the procedure of a pre-poo, then shampoo, then condition??? Why not just shampoo and condition??? :confused:

It depends on the shampoo you are using. If you prepoo with VO5, shampoo with CON, and then post poo with Lekair, then no the hair is not being stripped it is being conditioned excessively. I prefer to use a strong protein as prepoo. I just rinse my hair add my protein, rinse shampoo, moisturizering conditioner. Also the point of shampooing is to clean your scalp not your hair.

dtachi said:
I never follow the label, lol! If it says 3 minutes than I leave it on for 30 minutes. If it says anything longer than 5 minutes, I just leave it on overnight.
Gotta make sure every strand gets well fed for my moneys worth. :lol:

Not saying I recommend this for everyone but it works for me!

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! :lol: I only do a quick condition when I'm doing a co-wash or when I don't feel like deep conditioning.

karezone said:
I don't agree. I believe that everybody has the ability to grow long hair with proper care and good nutrition. Just because your Mother has short hair does not mean that your genetically destined to have short hair also. The best example is my cousin and her mother (my aunt). When they take care of their hair properly it grows just as long and pretty as my Mother and my other Aunt's hair, but once they get back on that daily curling iron habit. It breaks off faster than you can believe.

Vangray is right. Hair strands have a life cycle from 2 to 4 years. The rate that your hair grows does determine how long it can get. If your hair grows at a rate of 1 ince per month (naturally withought any vits) your maximum lengh can be anywhere from 24 inches to 48 inches. If your hair grows at a rate of 1/4 inch a month (like mine) Your maximum lengh will me between 6 inches and 12 inches. some hair cycles are longer than other and growth rates varies with the season so you may get a little bit more. with 1/4 inch of growth a month, a person would never get their hair grow to midback, nomatter how pretty it is, unless you use vitamins and stuff to increase your grate rate.

karezone said:
It depends on the shampoo you are using. If you prepoo with VO5, shampoo with CON, and then post poo with Lekair, then no the hair is not being stripped it is being conditioned excessively. I prefer to use a strong protein as prepoo. I just rinse my hair add my protein, rinse shampoo, moisturizering conditioner. Also the point of shampooing is to clean your scalp not your hair.

Which strong protein do you use? How long do you leave it on? Do you use heat?

I've noticed ladies trying out Aubrey's GPB as a prepoo. Is this considered a strong protein?

ChosenbyGod said:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying! :lol: I only do a quick condition when I'm doing a co-wash or when I don't feel like deep conditioning.

Ah! I knew I wasn't the only one! :lol:

Keen said:
What's the curly girl method? is that for naturals only?

The curly girl method is where you use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think it's for naturals only, although a natural came up with this idea. I would like to hear from a relaxed lady who uses this method regularly and the pros of it. I've been doing this for the past week with Suave Humectant.

I'm also wondering if you need to deep condition while doing this or is it too much product build-up?

onepraying said:
Which strong protein do you use? How long do you leave it on? Do you use heat?

I've noticed ladies trying out Aubrey's GPB as a prepoo. Is this considered a strong protein?

I am going to tell you up front I am a tight wad and a wimp. I am afraid of Aphogee, so I don't use it. I consider Motions CPR (irritating seeds), Jheri Redding Natural Protein, Henna and Placenta strong enough.

I believe that if you do medium to light protein treatments on a regular (weekly or biweekly) basis that you won't have to do a heavy one Aphogee etc unless you are experiencing a lot of breakage.

karezone said:
I am going to tell you up front I am a tight wad and a wimp. I am afraid of Aphogee, so I don't use it. I consider Motions CPR (irritating seeds), Jheri Redding Natural Protein, Henna and Placenta strong enough.

I believe that if you do medium to light protein treatments on a regular (weekly or biweekly) basis that you won't have to do a heavy one Aphogee etc unless you are experiencing a lot of breakage.

Thanks.......I'm beginning to believe this too. The last time I did one I was wondering why.

I've been deep conditioning with CPR but it isn't leaving my hair as soft as I would like. Only if I leave it on over night. I'm wondering if there isn't another deep cond. out there that can tickle my fancy. ORS mayo did NOTHING for my hair. I may try cholestrol I remember being pleased with it some years ago......

How does Jheri Redding Natural Protein, Henna and Placenta leave your hair?

My stupid question- is there a safe way to color or highlight? I've been scared to highlight because I've been scared I'll mess up all the progress and length I've gained since joining LHCF.

ChosenbyGod said:

The curly girl method is where you use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think it's for naturals only, although a natural came up with this idea. I would like to hear from a relaxed lady who uses this method regularly and the pros of it. I've been doing this for the past week with Suave Humectant.

I'm also wondering if you need to deep condition while doing this or is it too much product build-up?

OMG! I have been doing this for the pass three weeks! I am relaxed. I just thought of that because I pre-poo with olive oil the night before my co-wash and I didn't want to use shampoo to remove the oiliness of the EVOO. So I thought if I apply the conditioner twice it should remove most of the EVOO. This has been working great for me. My hair loves it: no tangles, hair is soft and shiny, less breakage.

Keen said:
OMG! I have been doing this for the pass three weeks! I am relaxed. I just thought of that because I pre-poo with olive oil the night before my co-wash and I didn't want to use shampoo to remove the oiliness of the EVOO. So I thought if I apply the conditioner twice it should remove most of the EVOO. This has been working great for me. My hair loves it: no tangles, hair is soft and shiny, less breakage.

Wow! :lol:
This sounds promising :yep:

vangrey said:
@crystal: here is an article on hair growth
at http://www.skinbiology.com

Hair length and growth

Hair grows at a faster rate in the spring and summer than in autumn and winter - a fact that often is used to "prove" that certain hair growth remedies stimulate hair growth. The growth rate is however very much related to the individual person, his age, his diet etc. The lifetime of the anagen phase is responsible for the maximum of hair length you can have. Waist length hair takes about 5 years to grow out from a short hair cut, periodic trims included. If your hair has a lifecyle of 2 years, you will never achieve a nice waist length mane. In rare families, long hair cycles are combined with rapid hair growth - producing floor length hair in women.

OOoooohhh ....I see. Thanks Vangrey for that info. I think I'll take a look at that website you've supplied. I never knew that the hair just falls out like that. Man...must be scary! LOL* I wonder what my growth cycle is??
But thanks for sharing that information. I think I understand what you were trying to say now.

Man, that sucks!
What if my growth cycle is only a year and a half or something? Then all of this hard work would be for what? I mean, I do want healthier hair, but it would also be nice to have some swinging hair down my back. :-/

Keen said:
Vangray is right. Hair strands have a life cycle from 2 to 4 years. The rate that your hair grows does determine how long it can get. If your hair grows at a rate of 1 ince per month (naturally withought any vits) your maximum lengh can be anywhere from 24 inches to 48 inches. If your hair grows at a rate of 1/4 inch a month (like mine) Your maximum lengh will me between 6 inches and 12 inches. some hair cycles are longer than other and growth rates varies with the season so you may get a little bit more. with 1/4 inch of growth a month, a person would never get their hair grow to midback, nomatter how pretty it is, unless you use vitamins and stuff to increase your grate rate.

So, when the hair sheds, it just comes right out of the root?? How come I've never noticed this before?? I assume it doesn't all come out at the same time, but when the hair does shed, does this mean that you have to start the growing process all over again?

karezone said:
You use a STRONG protein EVERY TIME? How has this worked for you? I have some protein conditioners I would like to use up, is why I'm asking. What protein do you use? Could I use Motions CPR -- the one in the bottle not the one in the tub. TIA.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
So, when the hair sheds, it just comes right out of the root?? How come I've never noticed this before?? I assume it doesn't all come out at the same time, but when the hair does shed, does this mean that you have to start the growing process all over again?

When a hair sheds from the bulb, another one start growing with a new life cycle. Each hair strand is on a different life cycle so that's why all your hair don't fall off at the same time. You don't have to do anything special for new hair to start growing once it falls, a new one will start growing naturally unless the bulb is damage, as in the case of bald men.

Leslie_C said:
Do broken off areas eventually catch up with the rest of your hair?

How do some of the ladies here get the salon look at home?

QUOTE]

I wonder that too (the first question). It would seem that those broken hairs will always be shorter than the rest.

I know I would need an extra pair of arms to get that "salon look" at home... or a bathroom full of mirrors.

karezone said:
I use shampoo to clean my hair and scalp. I asked the question initially because of all the time it takes... for example: pre-poo for 30 mins, shampoo for about 2-5 minutes, then deep condition anywhere from 30-60 minutes... is all that really needed??? :confused:

Poohbear said:
I use shampoo to clean my hair and scalp. I asked the question initially because of all the time it takes... for example: pre-poo for 30 mins, shampoo for about 2-5 minutes, then deep condition anywhere from 30-60 minutes... is all that really needed??? :confused:

For my dry, damaged hair, it has been VERY beneficial!! My hair has never been this supple, soft, moist or shiny. It takes time, but my hair LOVES IT!! :yep: Plus, it's just one day a week for me.

~op~

What are the symptoms of product build-up and is it recognizable? I've always wanted to know this but because I can never tell if my hair has product build-up in it or not, I really don't know what to look for?

Cinnabuns said:
What are the symptoms of product build-up and is it recognizable? I've always wanted to know this but because I can never tell if my hair has product build-up in it or not, I really don't know what to look for?
One way I can tell if I have product build-up is if I scratch my scalp and there's stuff underneath my finger nails! :barf:

onepraying said:
For my dry, damaged hair, it has been VERY beneficial!! My hair has never been this supple, soft, moist or shiny. It takes time, but my hair LOVES IT!! :yep: Plus, it's just one day a week for me.

~op~
Okay! I guess I'll try it myself once a week... pre-poo with EVOO, shampoo with ElastaQP Bodifying or Suave Clarifying, and deep condition with LeKair Cholesterol Plus (once it runs out, I'm getting in a new conditioner).

Back