Questions, I have Breakage Questions! Pics Included

PrincessLinzz

Hi Ladies!
So I am stressing because of my recent breakage situation (happened 7 months ago). I'm natural and typically do wash n gos. You all helped me in January when it was breaking off like crazy at random. I found out FROM Y'ALL I wasn't getting enough protein and too much moisture (over-steaming, over dcing with moisturizing products) However, everything is balanced now, thank you Lawd.

My question is how long will it take for the hair that succumbed to breakage to come back to my normal length? Is there a set time? Is this permanent? Is there something I can do to aid in the growth of this particular section (which just so happens to be the more coarser section of my hair)? Do I have to cut and start over? Here is what the breakage looks like on both the left and right lower side of my head:

Breakage Eeeeek:
Breakage Photo 1.jpg
Breakage Photo 3.jpg
Breakage Photo 2.jpg

I want my hair back like this:
My hair in September
Breakage Photo 6.jpg

My hair in December
Breakage Photo 5.jpg

Any answers would help tremendously as I just want my hair to be healthy like it was before. Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• Breakage Photo 6.jpg
    Breakage Photo 6.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Breakage Photo 5.jpg
    Breakage Photo 5.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Breakage Photo 2.jpg
    Breakage Photo 2.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Breakage Photo 1.jpg
    Breakage Photo 1.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Breakage Photo 3.jpg
    Breakage Photo 3.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 227
It looks good to me. Can we switch heads?

Seriously though, I can't see any breakage from those wet photo pics.

your hair is gorgeous. I noticed those shorter areas you are talking about only because u mentioned. I think its from a ponytail holder because of where its located. do u wear alot of ponytails?

shockolate said:
Dont see any breakage......

in the 1st pic with the white towel shes talkin about those shorter hairs at the top near her neck, on the left & right of the long piece of hair.

Last edited:
Ummm...what breakage?

Sorry but I'm distracted by how long thick and shiny your hair is :yep:

Just keep dusting and maintaining the protein/moisture balane

your hair is gorgeous. I noticed those shorter areas you are talking about only because u mentioned. I think its from a ponytail holder because of where its located. do u wear alot of ponytails?

ManeStreet YES! I wear a lot of ponytails and low buns but I use ouchless bands. Hmm not sure what other styles I can do. But I will try anything. Thanks!

Thanks for the hair complis, y'all!! I condition, I juice, I workout... all for this hair (and my body too, sorta lol) <3

Perhaps you should try out no seam combs to complete your routine. The seams can keep cutting/shredding your strands even if you're doing everything else perfect. The studies I've read on Trichorrexis Ndosa (extreme breakage) say it takes 2-4 years to recover from said breakage. Since your broken strands look pretty long, it may take less time for you. Once you get to a satisfactory length, and determine how much your hair grows per month, you can start trimming once a month to let that hair catch up and thicken back up.

OP, I don't think you need to cut and start over. The broken hairs will continue to grow out over time. Mostly, you'll need patience to wait for the broken hairs to grow out. Try styles that hide the broken area to get you through this rough patch. PS, you have a glorious head of hair. You've been doing a great job taking care of it. Now, more than ever, stick with your reggie that's been working for you.

OP, I don't think you need to cut and start over. The broken hairs will continue to grow out over time. Mostly, you'll need patience to wait for the broken hairs to grow out. Try styles that hide the broken area to get you through this rough patch. PS, you have a glorious head of hair. You've been doing a great job taking care of it. Now, more than ever, stick with your reggie that's been working for you.

kinkycurlygurl Thank you. I think I am not being patient enough. It just seems like it is taking forever. I will continue to do my reggie.:yep:

Perhaps you should try out no seam combs to complete your routine. The seams can keep cutting/shredding your strands even if you're doing everything else perfect. The studies I've read on Trichorrexis Ndosa (extreme breakage) say it takes 2-4 years to recover from said breakage. Since your broken strands look pretty long, it may take less time for you. Once you get to a satisfactory length, and determine how much your hair grows per month, you can start trimming once a month to let that hair catch up and thicken back up.

virtuenow I actually never use combs or brushes, just my fingers. Wow, 2-4 years?! I think it actually broke off last summer and worsened in January so I guess I have a little ways to go. Thank you so much for your input and advice!

Out of curiosity, what is your reggie? Your hair is bea-u-ti-ful!

StephElise- Well, I co-wash ny hair every 2-3 days with Hello Hydration. I use Curl Rehab Curl Junkie or Brown Beauty Sweet Milk Leave-In cond. mixed with water in a spray bottle. And I hydrate my hair with that mix and apply kinky curly custard and do a wash n go but usually worn in a ponytail.
I deep condition with Aussie Moist 3 Minute Deeeep Conditioner 1 week
The next week I dc with Aphogee 2 Min cond, ALWAYS followed by Aussie Moist Deeep Conditioner.
Oh yea, and after I apply kcc to my hair I have started coating my hair with aloe vera gel to seal everything in.

I ALSO have been juicing for 8 weeks and my hair is very strong and shiny. My recipe has also been posted on heyfranhey.com. Try it, if you'd like, here is the link: PrincessLinzz B's in the Trap Juice

http://heyfranhey.com/post/27055444811/princesslinzzs-bs-in-the-trap-juice#notes

Back