Questions for texturizers or naturals who switched to texturizers

When I was 21 about 9 years ago now, I had a texutrizer in my hair, it was cut really low. Myhair grew really fast, but after about 8 months, my stylist told me that if I wanted to continue texturizing I would need to cut it low again, and that if I wanted to retain the length I would need to relax. I opted for the relaxer at that time. Now I am a natural with a pretty decent amount of hair, I would like to txturize, but again a different stylist told me that once you texturize you will need to cut it down every few months because the texturizer will "straighten" the ends too much. I really don't understand how that's possible unless there is overlapping. Has anyone had a problem retaining length with a texturizer?

Not at all. I really don't knwo why hairdressers are so darn set that a texturizer can only be worn on short hair.I would have texturized years ago if it wasn't for that piece of misinformation. As long as you don't overlap you'll be fine. Affirm's preservo chemical block really prevents damage from over processing. Check out Den1's album or modelchick's to see length with texturizers.

Thanks for the response. That's what I was hoping. I think some stylists don't want to take the time to make sure they don't overlap. Do you texturize your hair yourself?

I do my own texturizers too, after many disasters with stylists, not keeping consistent processing results.

Hi sunshine Ive never heard that before !!!

Ive been texturising my hair for the last 6 years after cutting it ALL off. I do it myself. It grows exactly the same as when it was relaxed.

Hey--I've been wearing my hair texturized for a couple years now and my hair isn't short. The only reason your ends would become straight would be due to overlapping. You should only re-touch the newgrowth, so I don't see how that would be a problem.

Feel free to check out my album!

I'm texturized as of August of this year, but as my hair is growing out, some of my ends are losing their curl and becoming wavier, especially in the front which is growing alot faster than the rest of my head. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't bother me that much. I do wish it would grow more evenly all other and I wouldn't be as tempted to even it out with some scissors. At first I assumed it was due to my MSM consumption, but I was under the impression that my new growth would alter, not my ends. Any thoughts anyone?

I do remember when I had a short texturizer my hair did straighten after abou the 4th application (not totally straight) but I remember my stylist really just running the textutrizer throughout my entire head.

To those who apply it themeselves:

1) does it burn like the relaxer does?

2) On the first applciation do you just run it through your whole head with hands, or is the applicator brush method still recommended.

3) Do you still have to use the neutralizing shampoo when rinsing

4) And I guess, how do you style it when its not short, not long, but somewhere in the middle? (if that makes sense)

1) does it burn like the relaxer does?

It IS a relaxer in most cases, so YES, it can burn.

2) On the first applciation do you just run it through your whole head with hands, or is the applicator brush method still recommended.

I used my hands....No brush.

3) Do you still have to use the neutralizing shampoo when rinsing

You have to neutralize if you want to stop the processing.

4) And I guess, how do you style it when its not short, not long, but somewhere in the middle? (if that makes sense)

See photos in LHCF gallery or my little avatar.

I would have texturized years ago, if I had known what it was and seen it on people with med to long hair. I do mine myself also, to make certain it is done properly. Good luck sunshine.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm texturized as of August of this year, but as my hair is growing out, some of my ends are losing their curl and becoming wavier, especially in the front which is growing alot faster than the rest of my head. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't bother me that much. I do wish it would grow more evenly all other and I wouldn't be as tempted to even it out with some scissors. At first I assumed it was due to my MSM consumption, but I was under the impression that my new growth would alter, not my ends. Any thoughts anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably noticing this b/c the relaxer is rinsing through the length of your hair. And if your hair is shorter this is more likely to occur than it would be in hair that's 6" and longer. I think if you make efforts to rinse throughly and quickly, then neutralize you should be able minimize this effect.

@ Sunshine: I concur w/the other ladies, I would have texturized long ago had I not been miseducated. I love my texturized hair, it's so versatile and gives me so many options. /images/graemlins/weird.gif Best Wishes.

Back