Questions for Famed Hair stylist, Diana DaCosta about stretching and transitioning???

bravenewgirl87

51V5TZA02ZL.jpg

I might be able to get Diana DaCosta to answer questions about stretching relaxers and transitioning to natural without getting a lot of breakage. I need to send the questions to be approved first, so I am asking you ladies if you have anything that you would like to know before I just send off my questions. They can be about relaxer stretching and going natural, or even relaxers and texturizing hair. i'm trying to email her the questions back by next wednesday. I'll give you credit for your questions by listing your name next to each one when I write and publish the article.

Re: Questions for Famed Hair stylist, Diana DaCosta about stretching and transitionin

Bumpity bump. No one, even naturals, have questions for Diana DaCosta?

Re: Questions for Famed Hair stylist, Diana DaCosta about stretching and transitionin

I'll bite.

Ask her what products are safe to use when a natural wants to color. Is it a no-no to use a store box color kit?

I'll bite.

Which is better for transitioners Cornrows or individual Braids/Twists?
I ask this because the latter adds additional weight to the hair. Should "fine" haired folks avoid the extra weight?

I'd like to know:
What are the best products and methods recommended to detangle natural hair?

K here are a few. If I think of any more I'll post.

When stretching...

1. What are methods to curb breakage and stress along the line of demarcation?
2. What products should be avoided when stretching relaxers?
3. What should relaxed heads remember about haircare when transitioning?
4. Which products can be used on natural/relaxed hair without leaving buildup?
5. In your honest opinion is a more expensive product "better" than a non-expensive product? What's the hype on the higher end lines? Which cheapies are good to use on our hair?

Here's mine,
I am interested in staying chemical free yet I do not like me in twists, bantu knots, braids etc for work. what is the best way to acheive straighter and softly curled styles without constant direct heat?
Also,
Ive notice some shampoos like Creme of Nature have Sodium Hydroxide listed in the ingredients. Are you still considered natural after using this?

Last edited:

Hey ladies, I have your questions. Does anyone have anymore?

Yes, i have one:
If a natural has experienced some hair loss in the crown from cornrows, what the best product to use for nourishing the follicles there?

I'll bite as well, and you don't have to give me credit for asking:

1. Should fine-haired ladies stretch?

2. Is it possible to transition without cutting all the hair, but gradually cutting the ends overtime?

3. How can one successfully stretch and address tangles, matting, without putting stress on the hair and line of demarcation?

How u can achieve that perm look - straight, boucy, flowy hair with a flat iron and blow dryer at your very own home! :rolleyes:

When braiding, what are the pros and cons of human hair versus synthetic hair?

If you plan on swimming while wearing braid extensions, what's the best type of hair to use?

Also, should naturals use a different type of extension hair than relaxed heads?

Last edited:

I have a question too!!!

1. What is her best tip for growing out natural hair, low maintence, no pooing or just what works for one may or may not work for another

2. Are there any "safe" permanent hair colors? Ones that minimize breakage and the "dryout" effect? If so what brands/salons does she recommend? Any after care products?

3. What type of products does she recommend for naturals that have to endure very cold winters? I know about being sure to always wear a hat and put a satin liner in it, but does she have any "protecting" products

sorry the Pj in me is awakening :spinning::nono::yep:

Hello. I have about 5-6-7 inches of natural hair after growing out my relaxer. I wore relaxers for close to 30 years.

1. What are the products and/or techniques to achieve Diana's hairstyle on the cover of her book?

2. Is it possible/feasible to use the round-brush technique to straighten natural 4a (fine, thin, dense) hair? If so, what are products/tools/techniques to use? Can this straightening technique be achieved without the use of hot tools, e.g., straightening/hot combs, flat irons, curling irons, etc.

3. Does Diana have a training program for stylists? What questions should I ask to select a qualified natural hair stylist?

4. What are good products (or homemade concotions) to use to moisturize the hair in cold/winter weather (for both daytime and nighttime-preparing for sleep)?

5. What products/tools/techniques are useful to enhance and elongate my natural 4a coils? My hair is fine, thin, and dense. How do I manage the significant amount of shrinkage that occurs as my hair dries?

6. Why does it take an extended amount of time for my hair to dry. It wets very easily and even after a good cleaning and conditioning, it takes a long time to dry (sometimes up to 12 hours to airdry).

7. Why does my hair not (seem to) absorb oils of any kind? I will put a moderate amount of oil on my hair (for sealing, protection) and up to an hour later, my hair feels the same as when I first put the oil on....

8. How often should I trim my ends? With my hair, my ends coil at times and coil back up into my hair. It's not difficult to detangle, but is the goal to get the ends trimmed often or should I work to keep the ends smooth as possible?

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Back