Question re. natural hair butters and curl/coil definition

PaperClip

Ok... now that I'm au naturale :lol: I'm working on some kind of daily routine as I'm getting to know my hair. I have been trying to avoid 'cones and definitely petroleum. For a time, I didn't think my hair liked oils very much. Today, I used some jojoba oil between my Elucence MBC leave in and my Fantasia IC blue gel. I'm seeing some definition.... But I'm wondering if I need something heavier than just the oil to hold things together. Not sure if the blue gel is light or heavy enough for my hair....

I would like to explore getting some natural butters, like maybe some avocado butter, which I would use between the leave-in and the gel. So a routine might look like this:

shampoo or condition wash or rinse or maybe just wet the hair
leave in
avocado butter
gel

Also, could I make the avocado butter or should I order it from FNWL? Can I get some from a health food store?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

My hair is fine with butters as part of a DT or at night over a water based moistuizer. Butters, don't define my hair's texture though, and I wouldn't use them under gel. A lighter leave-in is fine if I'm leaving gel in--a thicker leave-in if I'm washing out the gel.

I use different butters too including avocado. I get mines from fnwl too. I actually melt the butters and mix them into my leave-in (Abba nourishing for now) The thing is sometimes a little goes a long way and it can build up so I wouldn't glop it on thick. I'll melt anywhere from a tsp. to a tablespoon of butter to mix into 8oz of leave-in.

Cheleigh said:
My hair is fine with butters as part of a DT or at night over a water based moistuizer. Butters, don't define my hair's texture though, and I wouldn't use them under gel. A lighter leave-in is fine if I'm leaving gel in--a thicker leave-in if I'm washing out the gel.

Hey, Cheleigh! I hope the link to my photo album is working now....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/

That makes sense re. a lighter vs. thicker/heavier leave in...but how do I know if I need lighter or heavier styling product? Does it depend on the type of style I'm trying to do? I have about 3 and a half inches of hair, so nothing's shaking right now to go on :cool: but I KNOOOWWWW there's some curls/coils waiting to come out.... Maybe it's still too soon to tell....

Your hair looks finer than mine, so maybe try a whipped butter first...you can always go heavier later. I like the one made by Oyin, but you can whip your own using the double boiler method.

I am one of those people who does not care about curl definition, but I do get more coils peeking through the fizz when I use a ACV rinse, shake and air dry.

RelaxerRehab said:

That makes sense re. a lighter vs. thicker/heavier leave in...but how do I know if I need lighter or heavier styling product? Does it depend on the type of style I'm trying to do? I have about 3 and a half inches of hair, so nothing's shaking right now to go on :cool: but I KNOOOWWWW there's some curls/coils waiting to come out.... Maybe it's still too soon to tell....

Saw your pics. Your hair is mad pretty! :D Your hair looks a little finer than mine, so I would agree with nyphe and try lighter butters first. Also, it took my hair a few weeks to get the curl pattern I have now. One was because my stylist used a sulfate poo during my BC. The other was because I wasn't employing the best techiques to define my coils. Shaking really does wonders for me, as does not weighing down my curls with lots of gels and products. My coils don't go away with gels/styling products, but the coils/curls are smaller.

Cheleigh said:
Saw your pics. Your hair is mad pretty! :D Your hair looks a little finer than mine, so I would agree with nyphe and try lighter butters first. Also, it took my hair a few weeks to get the curl pattern I have now. One was because my stylist used a sulfate poo during my BC. The other was because I wasn't employing the best techiques to define my coils. Shaking really does wonders for me, as does not weighing down my curls with lots of gels and products. My coils don't go away with gels/styling products, but the coils/curls are smaller.

Awww, thanks, Cheleigh! I'll just slow down and be patient with myself and my hair.... Any suggestions for lighter butters? I got one suggestion for Blended Beauty Styling Butter Creme....

nurseN98 said:
I use different butters too including avocado. I get mines from fnwl too. I actually melt the butters and mix them into my leave-in (Abba nourishing for now) The thing is sometimes a little goes a long way and it can build up so I wouldn't glop it on thick. I'll melt anywhere from a tsp. to a tablespoon of butter to mix into 8oz of leave-in.

Hi ladies. Will you please post the link to the place you all are talking about.

FNWL????

Thanks

RelaxerRehab said:

Your hair is pretty. It looks baby soft. You definitely have a lot of texture. You might just need the right products. I also think it is easier to see the texture the longer the hair gets. I agree with everyone else; you're going to have to use light products.

RelaxerRehab said:
Ok... now that I'm au naturale :lol: I'm working on some kind of daily routine as I'm getting to know my hair. I have been trying to avoid 'cones and definitely petroleum. For a time, I didn't think my hair liked oils very much. Today, I used some jojoba oil between my Elucence MBC leave in and my Fantasia IC blue gel. I'm seeing some definition.... But I'm wondering if I need something heavier than just the oil to hold things together. Not sure if the blue gel is light or heavy enough for my hair....

I would like to explore getting some natural butters, like maybe some avocado butter, which I would use between the leave-in and the gel. So a routine might look like this:

shampoo or condition wash or rinse or maybe just wet the hair
leave in
avocado butter
gel

Also, could I make the avocado butter or should I order it from FNWL? Can I get some from a health food store?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Bump.... hey guys, what's FNWL? thanx

Back